Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jeff Quinn rocks!!!

That was easily my favorite gun review of all time. His website is very quickly becoming my favorite gun website. I trust his opinions and feel that his reviews are very thoughful. I had an ear-to-ear grin while reading that review. I think these tests prove that the .327 is a legitimate defense round.

I can't wait to get this gun.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Didn't read all of it yet. What part is fluff?

I own several Rugers that I would be hard pressed to write a negative word about.

·
Registered
193 Posts
He continually touted the rounds penetration as the be all- end all with no mention of probable overpenetration for defensive purposes. I also didn't care for his holier than thou attitude, dismissing any critics as "psuedo experts" and people who "pretend to be shooters", while referring to how he and his friends were ecstatic hearing of the .327 because they are "actually shooters". According to him there are no valid criticisms of the round. To me it simply read like a PR piece. Fluff may have been the wrong term but it just didn't IMO strike me as an unbiased article, there is always bad with good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Personally, I agree with Jeff's comments.

People shouldn't crap all over a new cartridge when they haven't even tried it, yet. I think that people look too much at the diameter of a bullet when they think about its efficacy. It is fine to be skeptical, but to put something down without trying it is wrong. This kind of garbage can kill a cartridge because people will generally listen to the negative comments and parrot what they've heard over and over.

I wouldn't care about these opinions, but too often people don't read the opinions for what they are. They elevate these opinions into facts if they hear them enough. I don't know how many times I've heard people rip on the Beretta 92 FS on websites and at gun shops. People continue to cite problems that happened over 20 years ago and were fixed a long, long, long time ago. As a result of all of this garbage, the 92 fs is normally dismissed in forums by most people. You don't think that this is significant? I live in a state that doesn't allow CC, yet I've never seen a 92 FS at the range that I shoot at. That is a shame, because the 92 fs is one of the best pistol designs, ever. I've heard gun shop sales people talk about slide problems and lock block issues that don't even exist anymore. I actually overheard one salesperson actually talk a guy out of buying a Beretta.

There were people on different website that were claiming that this was a mouse cartridge. That penetration test was pretty impressive. Now people are already saying that this cartridge is too effective.

In defense of this article, I don't agree that it is a fluff piece. Jeff is merely pointing out that the .327 magnum has been brutalized by folks on the gun forums. The SP101 "is" one of the best DA revolvers out there. There is no fluff in his assessment of the gun. If he didn't say that, I would think that there was a bias in the article. That would be like someone saying that a glock wasn't reliable or that a colt python wasn't accurate. The .327 magnum cartriidge was demonstrated to be accurate and very, very effective. Jeff was merely defending the cartridge that he thought was worth defending. He obviously wants people to give this cartridge a chance.

And, yes, I agree that crappin' on things without ever using them is pretty ignorant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I've found the perfect revolver and cartridge for my wife. CCW Trinity: Accurate, precise placement is the primary concern for a carry piece. Then it is penetration. Once you get those two, then yes, expansion would be the third on the list. Hmmm, if S&W made their 642 in that caliber, I'd be all over it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,495 Posts
I'm with Checkmate. I think the Quinn boys are on Ruger's payroll. I am one of the opponents he referred to that doesn't know crap about guns. Sorry Mr Quinn, you can't convince me a 327 Fed is the best choice for a defence round. The platform (SP-101) is a great gun but much better suited for defence when stoked with 357s. His last review on the SR9 was almost as sickening.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Has anyone ever read a "don't buy this gun/cartridge---its junk" article from this guy? Or has everything that has been cranked out of the factories been the greatest thing since peanut butter and jelly an i'm just blind, iggnorant, and stupid to realize it?

Granted, i have not tried this cartridge and by all accounts its not in the cards for the near future----its called---- money! But i have enough sense to make my own assessment and have come to the conclusion this cartridge is not going to be a priority for me.

Agreed that its hard to find fault with a sp101 and i like seeing three factory loads available right off the bat---especially the "american eagle" practice load. And again, thank goodness there is a little life at r&d going on in ruger.

Guess i'm not a serious real shooter though, heck i may be a pseudo-shooter by his statements.

But i will make an un-educated armchair statement---i think there will be more interest in "shooters" wanting a single-six version than the sp101.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I stick with what I know works, and refuse to be a "Test Pilot" for any gun or caliber.

I still don't believe in the 45 GAP or 357 SIG. If I want to shoot a 45 autoloader it will be a 45 ACP and as far as 357 goes, the letters after the numbers are, MAGNUM, not SIG.

Maybe after both of those rounds have been out for twenty years and there exist documentation on how well the rounds perform I will consider purchasing a gun that will handle those calibers. With that said, I don't care for the 40 S&W either, and I have documentation on it. It is a good round, but I see nothing in that round that my 9mm's and 45 ACP's cannot do with proper ammo selection.

Biker

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
This is just my view on reviews of Cartridges, Guns, and most anything else. Which would be more reliable? Check something out for yourself, or rely on someone that is furnished products and other incentives to review them? Do you think a writer that wrote a bad report about a product would get to do another? I would rely more on a report from a majority of the members on this Board than any Writer. Thats not to say that there's not good writers, because there is. They have to be loyal to the hand that feeds them. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I very pleased with my SR9 and will give the new SP101 327 Mag a try also. All my Rugers have proved to be accurate and very reliable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

This is just my view on reviews of Cartridges, Guns, and most anything else. Which would be more reliable? Check something out for yourself, or rely on someone that is furnished products and other incentives to review them? Do you think a writer that wrote a bad report about a product would get to do another? I would rely more on a report from a majority of the members on this Board than any Writer. Thats not to say that there's not good writers, because there is. They have to be loyal to the hand that feeds them. :)
This is exactly the point I was trying to make, My intention was not to trash the cartridge, but to point out what I perceived to be a biased article. To each his own, but personally I am not ready to drink the Kool-Aid. I do respect the maturity on this forum, where we can disagree on something without attacking one another.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It looks like the .327 magnum SP101 will be a very good revolver for my wife. I want her to have a revolver that she is comfortable shooting.

I was really excited about what Jeff was able to demonstrate about this cartridge. I did also like how he tried to address some of the concerns that he saw that people had on the different gun forums. I don't think that this makes him a sell-out. I think that he genuinely likes the round and doesn't want the gun forum criticism to kill the .327 magnum.

It is unfortunate that he did call some people out as being amateurs. I'm pretty sure that everyone on this forum would agree that Iowegan knows Ruger revolvers better than just about anyone that is not named Bill Ruger (God rest his soul). Iowegan's opinions, like anybody else's opinions should be respected. Just for the record, I don't agree with the way that Jeff put people down in his article. Just because someone doesn't agree with Jeff doesn't make them an amateur. Not everyone will like the .327 magnum, and that is just fine. The one thing that I'm not really thrilled about is that the round is pretty expensive. I've seen .327 magnum rounds listed at a price that is comparable to a .357 magnum.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
That is one positive thing about this round was the mention of low cost American Eagle ammo. From memory, one thing that really hurt the .32 H&R mag was a lack of factory inexpensive practice rounds at introduction. If they can get the ammo out on the shelves with the guns--that will be a big positive. But if the only thing available is exoctic defense ammo at $20/20rds, a lot of folks will be turned off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
To me this round has alot of potential as a woods pliking and small game round. What i would like to see is first cheap practice ammo. Second in a longer barreled single action. I picture myself bumming through the woods with a single action 327 on my hip. 99.9% of my time in the woods would be spent popping walnuts and litle furry creatures. With a very slim but real possibility of a 2 legged encounter. This is just my view of how i picture my use of the 327.

One thing that i have wondered about is the timing of the 327. About 2-3 years ago production ended on the 32 single sixes. Last year a clearance of the 32s to get rid of them. Now a new magnum 32. With the many years of development involved in something like a new cartridge and gun combination. I have to believe that the old 32s where cleared out to make room for this new round and that Ruger new about the 327 at the end of 32 production.

The 327 was first chambered in the 101 to highlight the defensive potential of the 327 because the path to true exceptance of any cartridge is its two legged potental. Now that its been highlighted as a defensive round does this mean that there is a possibility of a 327 single six or blackhawk in the near future? <---- What i would like to buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Checkmate

Is this guy Jeff Quinn on Rugers payroll?
No, I don't think he's on Ruger's payroll. Because if he were, he'd be on every gun makers' payroll(those he had reviewed). He just never say anything bad about the guns he review. He stated this himself. If a gun isn't up to his standard, he wouldn't spend the time and energy to test and review it. I started reading the Gunblast web site since I started shooting in 2003. After a while, I stopped going there if I'm looking for what's "bad" about a certain gun/product. I still go there for entertaining readings. Sort of like enjoying fun infomercials...:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,495 Posts
I made my tongue-in-cheek comment about the Quinn boys being on Ruger's payroll. I hope everyone knows this is not really true but rather the feeling you come away with after you read one of their reviews.

Rule 1 for Gun Writers: Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Companies such as Ruger provide a limited number of new guns to gun rag writers. If they play the game and write only good things, they will continue to get evaluation guns provided.

Rule 2 for Gun Writers: If you print a "less than stellar" report, Rule 1 applies and you will be cutoff.

In 1995, I contracted with one of the major gun magazines to provide a "gunsmith corner" column. Everything went well for a few months then I wrote a response for a reader concerning a specific model gun that had a very high failure rate. Guess what? The company that made this gun had a full page color add in the same magazine. Two days after the advanced copy came out, I got fired. Yes, this is supposed to be a country with free speech but in cases like this, it becomes more of a "free to do what you're told".

If Jeff and Boge Quinn had to go out and buy the guns and ammo they were testing and could give brutally honest evaluations, I wonder how the Gun Blast articles would read? Maybe the 327 Fed would still get rave reviews, maybe not.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts