Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JK55's thread about favorite westerns sparked a new thread question for me, continuing on the western-related theme: how many johnny cash fans out there, and favorite johnny cash songs. i never particularly liked johnny cash when i was younger, but now i absolutely revere him.

my list of johnny cash favorites is in no particular order, as i really can't pick favorite johnny cash songs. my favorite any given day depends on my mood and what i'm doing.

*streets of laredo
*i'll fly away
*ragged old flag
*folsom prison blues
*don't take your guns to town
*the first time ever i saw your face
*ring of fire
*long black veil
*i walk the line
*guess things happen that way
*cry, cry, cry
*the night hank williams came to town
*ballad of ira hayes

that's just for starters. i could go on and on and on....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Have you heard some of his covers? He redid (and outdid) Neil Young's song - Heart of Gold and Tom Petty's - I won't back down. Also listen to Ain't No Grave.

·
Registered
409 Posts
JK55's thread about favorite westerns sparked a new thread question for me, continuing on the western-related theme: how many johnny cash fans out there, and favorite johnny cash songs. i never particularly liked johnny cash when i was younger, but now i absolutely revere him.

my list of johnny cash favorites is in no particular order, as i really can't pick favorite johnny cash songs. my favorite any given day depends on my mood and what i'm doing.

*streets of laredo
*i'll fly away
*ragged old flag
*folsom prison blues
*don't take your guns to town
*the first time ever i saw your face
*ring of fire
*long black veil
*i walk the line
*guess things happen that way
*cry, cry, cry
*the night hank williams came to town
*ballad of ira hayes

that's just for starters. i could go on and on and on....
I'll second your list & add:

Cocaine Blues
Jackson(with June)
Time's a Wastin(with June)
Orange Blossom Special

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you heard some of his covers? He redid (and outdid) Neil Young's song - Heart of Gold and Tom Petty's - I won't back down. Also listen to Ain't No Grave.
yupper. a few of the ones i listed were covers he did, and many of thise i like better than the originals.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love them all, new and old. He could sing the phone book and I would listen.

I really enjoy That Old Wheel with Hank Williams JrThat Old Wheel

I get chills when I listen to his version of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails.Hurt
i get that same feeling when i listen to him sing 'long black veil', 'first time ever i saw your face', and 'father and son'.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was stationed at Travis AFB in Fairfield, Ca from '58-62 and I think it was in 1961 when I met Johnny Cash in a dance hall called the "Dream Bowl" in Napa, Ca.

It was the first time I ever heard of him and really liked his music. He was wearing a red shirt and sitting on the edge of the stage during a break and we were discussing Air Force aircraft. I think he said he was ex-air force.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Am I the only member of this forum who went thru the 1970s 4 years high school and 4 years college who never purchased a record an 8 track or a cassette? I really do not have much interest in any music.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm a fan of JC's since his "Ring Of Fire" fame days. One song I haven't seen mentioned yet is a western song that is a favorite of mine is...

"Ghost Riders In The Sky"

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a fan of JC's since his "Ring Of Fire" fame days. One song I haven't seen mentioned yet is a western song that is a favorite of mine is...

"Ghost Riders In The Sky"
ooooh yeah!!! that's a good one!!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I've always enjoyed Johnny Cash. Had the pleasure of meeting him and June ... and the Carter Family back in the early 90s. This was during a low point in his career ... just a few years before he hit it big again and found a new audience with the 20-something crowd at that time.

He was appearing on the "free stage" at the California Mid-State Fair ... while Clint Black was playing that night to a sold out concert. I found it rather surreal that I was eating a tri-tip sandwich and drinking a beer while Cash and his band were playing about 10 feet away ... at no cost to me. So after his set, I walked up to him ... introduced myself, and had a nice chat with him. He seemed a bit down and sorta sad ... but was extremely gracious and friendly. I'll never forget it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've always enjoyed Johnny Cash. Had the pleasure of meeting him and June ... and the Carter Family back in the early 90s. This was during a low point in his career ... just a few years before he hit it big again and found a new audience with the 20-something crowd at that time.

He was appearing on the "free stage" at the California Mid-State Fair ... while Clint Black was playing that night to a sold out concert. I found it rather surreal that I was eating a tri-tip sandwich and drinking a beer while Cash and his band were playing about 10 feet away ... at no cost to me. So after his set, I walked up to him ... introduced myself, and had a nice chat with him. He seemed a bit down and sorta sad ... but was extremely gracious and friendly. I'll never forget it.
wow! that seriously just gave me a chill trying to picture it.

·
Banned
208 Posts
The Sun recordings are classic and incredible. I remember the first time I heard Big River I was blown away by how aggressive and "heavy" it sounded for the time...the mic pre amp is overdriving and the echo slaps back...amazing tune.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts