Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its only been about 400 rds, of everything available through our lcr 9's-including aluminum cased and all we see is some cracking of the nail polish the Mrs. adds around the bullet-interesting note is that the cracking is more noticeable when moon clips are used.
The movement is so slight that pictures we have taken don't show anything-by eye you can barely see a crack in the fifth round in the nail polish without the clips, with the clips the crack 'opens up' to about printer paper thickness, again on the fifth round.

Nice weather is here so we hope to spend more time at the range.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
I had an LCR 9mm, never had a crimp jump issue, with +p or regular ammo. Didn't care for the moonclips, sold the pistol, no regrets there. Do miss my LCR 38. Have an LCR 22 WMR that I know I'll regret if I ever sell, it is just a pain to find reasonably priced ammo for.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spiff, the Mrs. is convinced, and I am almost so, that for civilian use-concealed carry, carrying anything more than the lcr in .22 wmr is; in her words, 'either gross ignorance or clear indication of a severe personality disorder'-and the wife just may be correct.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Its only been about 400 rds, of everything available through our lcr 9's-including aluminum cased and all we see is some cracking of the nail polish the Mrs. adds around the bullet-interesting note is that the cracking is more noticeable when moon clips are used.
The movement is so slight that pictures we have taken don't show anything-by eye you can barely see a crack in the fifth round in the nail polish without the clips, with the clips the crack 'opens up' to about printer paper thickness, again on the fifth round.

Nice weather is here so we hope to spend more time at the range.
You've found your soulmate firearm. .... :)

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
The LCR9mm exceeded my expectations and I love this snubbie. Have shot many, many rounds. Yes some brands will jump crimp, but most brands do not. Love the moon clips, have about 15 now that I load up before the range session. Have not had any failures with my own reloads. The Pachmeyr grip really added to ease of shooting and a lot better accuracy. So glad I went with the 9mm!

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bepe, I understand your sentiment as I 'once' shared the same opinion-what possible good could a .22 wmr revolver, especially a snub nose do?

When you see what the round does to water filled jugs at close range and when you see just how accurate -anyone- can become in very quick order you will change your opinion quickly, very very quickly.

Zombies/terrorist onslaught/entire gangs; of course you need more BUT believe me when I tell you no one, and I mean no one is going to keep on coming after one of these rounds to the neck, face or head, which is where anyone will be able to place a shot after just a few hours of practice-there is no doubt in my mind that at close range you have *perhaps* the best gun and caliber in your hand.

This is the first range test of the lcr in .22 wmr I have seen and the results should be impressive to everyone who reads it-the numbers pretty much tell it all.

Gun Test: Ruger LCR-22 Magnum revolver | The Daily Caller

·
Registered
365 Posts
Snubby, not questioning the .22 magnum. A potent round that has adequate self defense power. An added bonus of extra rounds in a wheel gun also.

In this day and age of lawsuits and over zealous prosecutors the "severe personality disorder" phrase along with the "gross ignorance" one might be used against you in the event of an "incident". Especially if you are using anything more than the .22.
Regards Bepe

·
Super Moderator
21,667 Posts
I hit a woodchuck centermass with a 22 mag out of a 6 1/2" BBL of my Single Six and he ran back into his hole. He was a good sized woodchuck and probably died at some point from something other than old age. I do think in my severe mental state that a 200# man on meth could take more than ole woody and would be rather unlikely to run into a hole. He might actually take exception to being shot with a 22.

I think everyone should carry what they are comfortable with as we are responsible for our own safety. My minimum is 38 Spl +P.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bepe, understood-terry, at what distance was the animal shot and can you envision a situation, even with .22 short where someone shot in the face-at close range- is going to keep on coming?-the numbers in the chart are impressive.

Each and every time we go out to shoot its becoming more and more apparent that the .22 might just be all the average citizen needs, again notice the word -might-.

Perhaps one of the biggest benefits to this gun/caliber is that over penetration just might be a non issue.

Again, not saying it is right for everyone but don't dismiss this light-accurate and exceptionally controllable handgun right off the bat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My LCR9 experienced crimp jump with several brands of ammunition. Anything aluminum cased was a no no. It would tie up the cylinder because of the bullets coming completely out of the case. Even with Hornady Critical Defense and Liberty Civil Defense the fourth and fifth round would be coming out of the case after firing the first three. Finally sold it because it just wasn't fun for me to shoot. The 9mm was just too much for me in a revolver. It also was just a tad too heavy in gym shorts or sweats. Loved the moon clips and never had an issue with them. Went back to the LCR 38 because of weight and the ability to handload full wadcutter practice loads. I wish the LCR 38 came with the factory moon clips...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Only a 4 oz difference but that is significant in flimsy clothing like gym attire. Had I enjoyed shooting the 9mm more I could have made the weight work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a new LCR9 over a year ago - mainly because it was 9mm and most of my other handguns use 9. I quickly learned to love the moon clips - easy to load and easier to to use than a speedloader. For me a big plus was not having to bend over to pick up the spent brass at the range. In the end it was crimp jump that caused me to replace the gun. I also found that the LCR was not well suited for my CCW needs - too fat. I replaced the LCR with a 4.5" Stainless GP 100 357. Much more useful as a bedroom home defense weapon than the LCR9.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
How about a LCR in 327, loaded with 32 H&R magnum ammo instead of the 327 Federal?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've yet to have any evidence of crimp jump. From cheap Tula steel to Critical Duty/Defense to Inceptor ARX.

I did have some issues getting the cylinder to swing into the frame with a loaded moon clip. At first I thought it was a bent clip or something weird with a round, but it ended up being the "Crane Release Button Pin" (#28 on the parts listing) had backed itself out of the Crane Release. All I can figure is that the Crane Release wasn't fully retracting in order to allow the Center Lock Pin to fully engage the frame.

Tightening it up (literally ~up) solved that issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LCR 9mm Crimp Creep, Bullet Creep, Jump Crimp

Seahawk here – I’m new to the forum and this is my first post.
I recently purchased a Ruger LCR in 9mm and the first time out at the range I experience “Crimp Creep”, “Bullet Creep”, “Jump Crimp”, “Bullet Migration” is when the bullet starts to work it’s way out of the case. This is concerning so after researching the forum I realized others had also experienced this, so I did a little ammo research of my own. My starting point was the ammo that typically used Federal 115gr and the remaining six I referenced Boberg’s Compatible List and was limited by what the local retailers had available in my area.

1.) I purchased 7 different types of 9mm ammo.
2.) I measured the average length of each manufactures round right out of the box with a Digital Caliper.
3.) Loaded a Ruger Moon Clip with five rounds, fired three and measure the two remaining rounds for length and overall condition.
4.) I repeated this three times for each manufacture, if there was little sign of movement on the third attempt I fired the 4th round to see after four rounds fired how did the fifth round measured up.
5.) I compiled my findings in chart, where and when available I included the manufactures bullet Velocity and Energy data.

View attachment Print_Area.pdf

Ammo Description Measure New Round #1 4th Bullet Round #1 5th Bullet Round #2 4th Bullet Round #2 5th Bullet Round #3 4th Bullet Round #3 5th Bullet

Federal 115Gr FMJ RN Vel. 1125 Ene. 323 1.15 1.21 Bullet Fell Out Bullet Fell Out Bullet Fell Out DNF DNF

PMC Bronze 115Gr FMJ Vel. 1157 Ene. 344 1.15 1.15 1.15 1.16 1.16 Fired 1.17
Stand 1 Armory Chubbies 147Gr -P 1.15 Stuck Stuck Stuck Stuck DNF DNF

Winchester USA Target Pack 115Gr Vel. 1190 Ene 362 1.15 1.18 1.17 1.18 1.17 1.18 1.18
Remington 23728 UMC 115Gr Luger 1.11 1.12 1.13 Fired 1.14 Fired 1.13

American Eagle 115Gr FMJ Vel 1180 Ene 355 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.16 1.16 Fired 1.17

Hornady Critical Defense Lite 100 Gr FTX Vel. 1125 Ene. 281 1.05 1.06 1.07 Fired 1.04 Fired 1.06

6.) Key Findings DO NOT use Federal 115gr FMJ ammo typically carried at Walmart, first attempt one bullet fell out and the other was at 1.21. Second attempt I only fired twice and all three remaining bullets and powder fell out see photo. There was no sense to continue a third round.
7.) Stand 1 Armory Chubbies, work fine in my semi auto pistols, but when I fired three rounds I was unable to depress the Ejector Rod to removed the cases from the Cylinder, all efforts to remove them didn’t work. I finally fired the remaining two rounds and was able to eject the casings and moon clip just fine. I tried it a second time with the same results? I can’t explain it, so I don’t recommend using this round.
8.) My recommendation for range practice and paper punching Remington UMC, PMC Bronze, American Eagle.

Here's pictures of my test with the Federal Ammo
Federal Test #2.JPG

Federal Test #1.jpg

I hope this helps someone and if anyone else has any recommendations let me know.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I really like your chart -- thanks for sharing.

I did the old fashioned unsophisticated test.
If it shoots well without crimp jump I buy it.

Never a problem with this ammo after 1600+ rounds:

But don't tell anyone ........ ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts