Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a second post on the forums. My first question was answered politely and never made me feel like anyone was condescending to me. I like that. Good people on these forums. Thank you all for that.
I am new to looking for an AR-15 for a collection or safety..not so much for hunting. What would be some opinions on entry level guns in this area? I'm thinking something $1500 or less for a good starter. Thank you in advance for any help and these forums are a wonderful place to get help. I'm super stoked I've found this site.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I bought my son a AR-15 last August. I went to my favorite LGS to do some looking. I soon came to the conclusion from what I was told. The best bang for the buck or dollars spent. I bought a Smith & Wesson AR-15 Sport model. My son in law just before Christmas also bought himself a AR-15 & it turned out he also picked the S&W AR-15 Sport Model. You need to do some looking got to a few LGS's ask questions & get one based on your needs & the type of shooting you are going to do. Based on your budget of $1500.00 or less you can buy one or two very nice AR-15's good luck!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New to AR 15/ Building

I am new to shopping for an AR 15 and keep seeing persons who say I could build a quality firearm for cheaper than full purchase. Is there anyone who could point me to a site that would help me with this or a site that could give me the info on how to possibly learn about the building of an AR 15 so that I can order parts w/ confidence? Thank you for your time in advance.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
AR15.com has tons of information. You may need thick skin. Search for info and ask.

PalmettoStateArmory.com has tons of quality parts for good prices.

You can build cheaper than purchased models, but it's not always worth it. First, you generally don't get a warranty. Second, it's hard to beat factory models such as the Ruger AR556 or S&W Sport when they're priced $500-$600 and are backed by a repuatable company.

You're also new. It may be best to get a cheap model like I mentioned and then build once you know what you want from the platform.

So, you can certainly build cheaper than a Noveske, BCM, DD, LaRue, etc... But sometimes it's best just to find an affordable way to try out the platform.

Now, if you just have to build, do it! It's satisfying and fun to pick out parts. There's tons of inspiration in the AR thread in the rifle forum here. Plus, tons of guys here can help out as well.

Keep asking question. Answers will come.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
With that budget, I'm tempted to say- get a Colt 6920 and a tough optic like an Aimpoint Pro. Then spend the change in mags and ammo. Tough setup and fun.

Tons of other good models out there from companies like Ruger, S&W, Aero, DPMS, PSA... These brands can keep the rifle under $850.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
There are lots of models to choose from with the budget you set. I would hope that it includes the rifle, extra mags, at least 6-7, 1000 rounds of ammo and a scope or red dot depending on your desire of use. Oh and just a warning, ARs are like potato chips, you can't have just one and that does not include the AR pistols. Another addiction. :eek:

A good thing to do is browse through this thread for ideas. There are rifles here from $500 all the way to thousands, then go to your local gun stores and fondle, umm handle all different brands of ARs until you find the one right for you.

http://rugerforum.net/rifles/63070-ar-15-platform-picture-thread.html

You might even consider building you AR, it is very simple to do and you can be sure of exactly what is inside it and how to fix any issue you may have with it. Also building can be cheaper leaving money to feed it. ARs are always hungry.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Hi, and welcome. Entry level AR's are more like $600 these days. You simply can't go wrong with the Ruger AR-556, or the Sport and Sport II from Smith &Wesson.

If you want to spend about $900, the afore-mentioned Colt 6920 is a smart choice.

With any of those selections you will still have money left over if you think you want an optic, as well as for ammo and extra magazines.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am new to shopping for an AR 15 and keep seeing persons who say I could build a quality firearm for cheaper than full purchase. Is there anyone who could point me to a site that would help me with this or a site that could give me the info on how to possibly learn about the building of an AR 15 so that I can order parts w/ confidence? Thank you for your time in advance.
Morning wilgowilco

I have built a number of AR 's, M-4's, etc. There is some truth in what you heard.

You can usually build an up-level or high-quality AR cheaper than you can buy one if you KNOW what you are doing as far as sourcing parts.

It is difficult to build a standard (re not up-level) AR cheaper than you can buy on sale at some web sites or local sporting goods stores on deep sales.

If you are not in a hurry then you can shop high end parts online as they come up for those once a year deep discounts (this is how I do it anyhow)

If you have to buy the assembly tools & only want to build one gun then it still might be cheaper to buy a full gun.

Or at least buy an assembled upper online (no transfer on those) then buy & build you own lower (there is a transfer on the lower main assembly).

Unless you know EXACTLY what you want in an AR then you might be better off just buying a low end AR on sale from a local sporting goods store then shooting & playing with that for a while until you can define your EXACT AR needs.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
What others have said is true. I have built more ARs than I can count and loved every single build as they were all a bit different. A few years ago, it was always cheaper to build an AR than to buy one. Prices are now the lowest I've seen in years. Since you are new to the platform, I would say buy a quality factory AR and learn everything you can about it. You will end up taking it apart and upgrading parts as you learn.
My recommendations for a QUALITY budget AR are:

S&W M&P Sport
Ruger AR556
Palmetto State Premium CHF Upper (These have FN Barrels) combined with the lower of your choosing.

Head over here for some inspiration:

http://rugerforum.net/rifles/63070-ar-15-platform-picture-thread.html

Best of luck and let us know how we can help.

·
Super Moderator
4,073 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind if you build your own is you'll never recoup what you have into the gun if you decide to sell/trade it. Most folks avoid buying homebuilt ARs because they don't come with a warranty and they have no idea about the quality of the build.

Therefore my recommendation is similar to what everybody above already said. Buy a quality value AR to start with. Especially since it's your first AR. Shoot it a while figure to out what you like and what you don't. It's quite possible you'll end up being very satisfied with the gun especially if you get one of the rifles suggested (S&W, Ruger, PSA). If for some reason you still want to build one you'll be doing so with a better idea of what you really want.

It's pretty difficult to buy a bad factory AR these days. Even the most inexpensive ARs are still good reliable rifles. What do you want to do with it? If it's just a plinker, range toy, hunting rifle or truck gun almost any rifle will work just fine. If you have designs on the National Matches at Camp Perry then you're going to spend some cash but otherwise most ARs are going to shoot <2MOA, even the cheap ones.

My current AR is a Colt 6920. I paid $900 for it NIB. It does everything I want an AR to do but I'm convinced I'd be just as happy with a S&W Sport II for about $600. I'm equally convinced that a $3K+ Noveske would be a complete waste of money for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If all you want is a basic entry level MSR, then I'd have to say your most economic option is to buy. Ruger and S&W make excellent rifles well below your budget. Don't forget to factor in about $150 up to $500 for sights and optics. If you want something a little more custom, then you will save plenty by building your own.

Most DIY first timers start with a stripped lower, build that up and then buy a complete upper. Building the lower is very easy, however, while assembling an upper is not very difficult it absolutely requires certain tools and a greater amount of attention to detail. If something goes wrong with the upper, it could go terribly wrong.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Damn you Americans and your cheap ARs and crazy selection of AR parts!! lol

A nice American made AR is around $1K in Canada. The only cheap ARs we have are from China. I see the Brownells and MidwayUSA sales emails on uppers/lowers for $50-$80 and I just want to cry! :(

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
wilgowilco, What ever you decide, you might want to buy it sooner than later. If Obama gets his way, ARs will be banned again and the prices will skyrocket.

If I were buying a new "first" AR-15, I would go for a name brand chrome lined 20" barrel with a 1:9 twist rate and a basic setup for sights and accessories. Believe me, you can spend a ton of cash on accessories but the gun will still shoot the same sized groups. If you want a "all show and no go" you can buy one of the many decked out models but again, it won't shoot any better than a standard model. The exception is a match grade rifle used for 600 yards and beyond. These get quite expensive (over your budget) but do shoot much better than a standard model.

My vision sucks so I always allow some extra bucks for a decent scope and mount but some purists gag when they see optics on a AR-15. They can gag all they want ... it's MY rifle, not theirs.

Here's my Ruger AR556. With a Nikon P-223 3x scope, mounts, a low profile gas block, sling, and 100 rounds of ammo, I have right at 1k buck in it. Not everyone likes this configuration but the beauty of ARs is .... you can modify them to your heart's content. For the best financial deal, it's best to find an AR equipped as close to your idea of an AR configuration as possible so you don't have to spend money twice for a similar part.

Every gun should have a "mission" ... could be long range targets, could be a prairie dog gun, could be for coyotes, or just for general purpose plinking or many other uses. Most any AR-15 will work for several missions but one that is configured especially for your determined mission will satisfy you the best. I took guidance from the military ... wanting a rifle for close targets ... no more than 100 yards so I decided on a 16" barrel, which is as legally close to a 14.5" barreled M4 as possible. I am very happy with my decision, which is really the most important issue. You don't buy guns for your friends, you buy them to satisfy yourself.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The economics of AR-15 building isn't perfectly cut and dried.

In general - for a Mil-spec carbine, you won't save a dime to build one. You can buy one NIB off of the rack for $500-600, you can build one for $350-450, and you'll have about $100 in tools to do it. Time and money better spent, if you're looking for a Mil-Spec Carbine, to buy a shelf model.

In general - for a mid-level (aka upper level shelf model) like the Bushmaster Varminter, RRA Predator or Coyote, etc you will come out $100-200 ahead. Usually these shelf rifles run around $1000-1200, usually you can build an equivalent rifle for $700-1000.

Once you get 10 posts, send me a PM, I have some resources I can send you that will help price out parts, tally up your costs, plus some details on tools (and costs) and techniques to help get it put together - or help you decide if you want to put it together yourself.

·
16,423 Posts
wilgowilco, I just noticed you started two threads with the same topic in different sub-forums ... not cool! I merged them into one combined thread. Please avoid doing this in the future.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Welcome, we always enjoy having another gun loving member.

As far as the ar15, I am pretty familiar to the platform. I have bought, and later progressed into building them. At this point I have lost count how many I have built, many different calibers both ar15 and ar10 platforms, and many configurations. With all that said I would recommend buying your first, a factory built gun. Not that you could not assemble one yourself, but buying a complete gives you a chance to learn the platform. If your only building one, the added cost of purchasing all the armorers tools is not worth it. However their are many great decently priced ar's on the market. Here is a few I would recommend as base starter rifles.

Rock River Arms LAR15
Dpms A15
Windham Weaponry
Smith and Wesson Mp15
Olympic Arms K16
Ruger ..Ar556
Bushmaster xm15
Armalite M15
Delton DT Sport, and others
Anderson Firearms

I have built and used several of these rifles from these and never had an issue. Most of these are well below 1k, and would serve you well, they are quality manufacturers. I would try to look for a 5.56 chamber, or wylde chamber that way it will allow you to shoot .223, and 5.56. If you buy a .223 remington it can only safely shoot .223 ammo, no 5.56. Usually 1n9 twist rate barrels work totally fine with 40 to 62 grain ammo, which is most common on store shelves, just about everywhere. Those are a few things I would recommend.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Iowegan, my apologies for the mistake. As I said, this forum is new to me so I'm trying to figure it all out. Thanks for being the ONE person who gave me attitude for something I had no idea I had done. Take care.

·
16,423 Posts
wilgowilco, That's why I didn't get too excited about the dual threads ... with 6 posts, figuring out this forum is quite a task. If you look at other threads, you will see where one of the moderators merged two or more threads with like subjects into one thread. It happens all the time .... mostly because members don't take the time to see if another thread has already been started.

The reason we like to keep things in order is ... when members see two threads with the same topic, which one do they respond to? ... do they have to read both threads to get the answer, etc? As such the moderators try to keep things in order to make the forum easier for all members. No doubt, we miss a lot of double threads but for the most part the forum is pretty clean. Thanks for understanding!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts