Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've declared war on these idiots. I don't answer calls I don't know, I make that plain in my greeting, and if you don't leave a message, I'll block your number. If you're selling, I'll block it. I've blocked hundreds. Got it down to 2-3 a day instead of 25. Sometimes it's from a number ending in, say 1234. They call right back using 1235. Eventually they'll give up.

Same way on junk email. My Outlook does a good job of separating it, but I go in and block all the senders. Did you know you get the exact same emails from different senders? Sometimes in different countries? They get paid a penny or two for each one they send. Most senders are "[email protected] of gibberish dot whatever". Some are "[email protected]". Some are [email protected], they don't care. Some are obviously not the company advertised. I remember one from "hotladies" for deals on roofing. Many are malware, phishing or phony. "Click here to see what you won", or the man in Nigeria that needs money to release 100K he'll split with you. Some of them from foreign senders about businesses that don't exist in U.S.. Anybody care to go to the Phillipines to save on tires? How about Portuguese groceries delivered to your door? I've got them down to 20 a day, was around 100. Eventually that should be a trickle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am retired and I enjoy keeping the junk callers on the phone as long as I can. The best line i have is I give them a CC number with an extra digit, they say that doesn't work and i respond that its a brand new CC from the Bank of Nigeria. That usually gets them to hang up.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no real friends since the wife passed, nobody calls. I never make a call. I only need a phone for 911 and codes online sellers send when you log in. My older brother emails a few times a week, and I meet him for lunch 1-2 times a month. He's only 8 miles away.

My junk mail folder deletes them after ten days, but ten days was nearly a thousand junk mails. That eats up memory and slows your computer down. Same way, junk calls eat up phone memory and kill your battery faster.

• Sad
Reactions: rmichael63

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
I never answer the lane line. It never rings. I have my cell phone set so that if you are not in my contacts list, you go right to voicemail.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a Google phone- it screens my calls.
If they can not tell Google who they are and why they are calling- it marks them as spam and blocks them. If they do tell google- but I don't like their answer- they get blocked. If they are legitimate- Google knows it and puts the call through.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,624 Posts
The concept of a device in your home that makes a ringing noise when someone else decides THEY want to talk to YOU seems really antiquated. I don’t put up with that. The younger generations are even rejecting the idea of people calling on a mobile phone when they could just text message, and I’m adopting the same mentality. I pretty much only communicate face to face, text, email, or a proper handwritten letter for thank-you notes or invitations.

As a side note on formal communication, I have some idiot relatives who “invite” people to parties and celebrations via a social media invitation. I don’t respond to those. If your daughter can’t send me a written invitation to her graduation reception, too bad. And if your daughter doesn’t send a thank-you note for the gift, then that’s probably the end of the gifts for future “celebrations”. All of the old “Miss Manners” and Emily Post protocol rules are still real and relevant.

We got rid of the landline and ported the old number over to google voice to keep the old number. I left a message on google voice saying if you’re a real acquaintance, send me a text message. If I need to hear from you, I’ll have given you my text number. About once a month I log on to google voice on my computer and look at the voicemail transcriptions and missed calls. Occasionally there will be a real voicemail in there that was for me, but 99.9% are spam and I just delete them with a click.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,624 Posts
I used to live outside of Richmond Virginia. I now live in Colorado but I kept my old cell phone number with the Richmond area code. Over 90% of my spam comes with 804 or 757 zip codes (Richmond and the Virginia coast) so I instantly know it's spam and don't answer.
Funny. I did that same trick and got a Virginia mobile phone number. All calls from there are spam.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm also retired and I'll answer those telemarketers' and scammers' calls just to mess with them. I'll either have my talking Woody (from Toy Story) talk to them or I'll act like I'm some old senile guy (which gets them pretty excited). If it's one of those "lower your credit card rate" scams I'll act like I think they're talking about my cars (acting like I hear car instead of card) or if it's a car warranty scam I do the opposite and act like I heard card instead of car. I've kept some of them on the line, wasting their time, for 10-15 minutes some times. Another good one, which doesn't last too long is the "final expense" insurance scam calls. They go through their spiel and then ask my age. I tell them 98 and usually that's an immediate hang-up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I answer my phone almost every time it rings. If it’s not someone I want to talk to, I simply hang up and block the number.

I got a call yesterday that I didn’t answer. The number displayed as “+44 1749 821606 Shelton Mallet”. The number looked international and I thought Shelton Mallet was someone’s name. A web search revealed it is a town in England. It might have been King Charles calling to make me a knight. Guess I should have answered it…..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
334 Posts
My wife and I get calls all day long on our land-line. She looks at the number on the phone, and if she doesn't recognize it, she doesn't answer. I always answer. Telemarketers and political people get the "waste their time as long as I can treatment". My favorite callers are the medicare supplement people. I'm retired military, so my wife and I have Tri-Care. We do not need any medicare supplement insurance, but I will let the marketer go for as long as I can before I tell them about the Tri-Care. They hang up abruptly. Another trick that I learned from my father is to let them go through their spiel, then tell them I am hard of hearing so would they please send me some literature. That usually gets an immediate hang up.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a call yesterday that I didn’t answer...... It might have been King Charles calling to make me a knight. Guess I should have answered it…..:rolleyes:
Sir Big Papa.....has a nice ring to it....:)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same here, you'd think 400 lawyers are involved, I've blocked so many.
Lots of health :poop:, windows, life insurance, and cat litter....?....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
My father used to tell the spam callers that he was too hard of hearing (truth) and they should call his daughter. Of course ne never gave them my name or phone number!

I try to not answer calls from numbers I do not know, but let them go to the answering machine. Almost all of the junk ones just hang up, but occasionally there is a long, long recorded message selling something or other. Easily deleted.

Once in a great while I get a call from a medical office regarding "your appointment." But it is not for me. In those cases I phone them back to let them know they called the wrong number so the real patient does not miss out on a possibly badly needed appointment. They always thank me profusely.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Answering machine? I thought those were antiques now. Pre-cell phone, I had a nice setup with three cordless phones. You could access the answer machine (digital, no tape) from any of the base units.

• Haha
Reactions: drmass1 and Weez556

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I get right at 25 spams a day.This is only 10 of the spam emails I got yesterday. I can mouse over the the "From" address and it reveals the true email address. None of them are the same and they change everyday. No way to block them. Just thankful my ISP knows to put them in the spam folder

1 - 20 of 49 Posts