Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Noobody gets my cell number.
My spam automatically goes to Junk, but I block them from next time. I figure they'll eventually run out of accounts to use. I can block 1 or 100 with 4 clicks.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Answering machine? I thought those were antiques now. Pre-cell phone, I had a nice setup with three cordless phones. You could access the answer machine (digital, no tape) from any of the base units.
Not all answering machines are antiques. Ours (digital) is built into the primary base unit of our cordless phones. I think that the unit will allow retrieving messages from an outside line but we have never cared enough to try it. Our outgoing message specifically says that (a) we do not have caller ID, (b) we don't want to talk to anyone who is selling anything or provide us an extended warranty and (c) if the caller is someone we would like to talk to to start leaving a message and we will probably answer. We still get messages about warranties and sales, as well as calls from friends who don't leave a name or number so we have to guess who left a message that just says 'call me' without enough words to recognize the voice.
My wife had a long 'medical adventure' this year so I started answering the phone rather than wait for the machine in case it was a Dr or the hospital. I am amazed at how many of the spam calls don't actually have anyone on the other end of the line until after I have answered, after they say 'Hello' several times I tell them that we are already past that point. If they start in with 'How are you ...' my reply is that if that is what they called about they are wasting both of our time which generally is enough for them to hang up.

Bruce

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I had consolidated phone and wifi and got rid of the phone and switched wifi to Fidium. Went from $140 a month to $70 a month same 1 Gig bandwidth.
My flip phone is T-Mobile for $16 a month. Cox wi-fi internet and TV is $59. About your total.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Here's a sample of the spam e-mails that showed up in my spam folder just today. Couldn't get but about half of them in the screen shot and I edited out the one's with vulgarity in the subject line.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I get 3-4 of those, but not the others. I guess eventually I might, and you'll get some of mine :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bozz48

·
Administrator
23,592 Posts
I got an app on my phone called Spamdrain. I get spammed daily and it captures them before they get to my e-mail inbox. I just go in and delete them daily. If they catch one that isn't spam I go in and mark it ok and then it comes thru. As I recall it was $10 a year for the app.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A lot of the spam callers that call me use hijacked phone numbers. One of the fun things I do after they hang up on me is to call the number back. Usually it is a number that is out of service. Sometimes it is a business's or an individual's valid number, and they didn't know it was hijacked. I let them know it was, and they might be getting more calls from other people.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used RoboCaller.
It's an app on my cell phone (don't have a land line) and it blocks every call that is NOT in my Contacts list.
It has reduced the calls that I receive and screens the rest (giving the option to allow or block these callers).
Real handy.

In the old days, my dad would act real interested and enthused about their product. After 10-15 minutes of asking questions, he would say, "Can I pay for this with Food Stamps?". Like I said it was the old days -- before EBT cards.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I used RoboCaller.
It's an app on my cell phone (don't have a land line) and it blocks every call that is NOT in my Contacts list.
Well, there goes the forgotten relative's executor calling to say you just inherited a million bucks....o_O

My blocked callers get one chance to leave me a message, before they're blocked.

Reactions: jayhdavis

·
Registered
97 Posts
The problem with blocking calls is that you are not blocking the person that called but usually a local number that may be a doctors office or a call that you need to answer even though it is not in your contact list. These spammers use generated real numbers usually of local people that have no idea their number is being used. I just answer and hang up if it is spam. I don't block them as you are not blocking "them". The phone companies could stop this if they wanted to but they don't. If the caller id says it came from xxx-xxx-xxxx the phone company in a fraction of a second could trace it and see if it really came from India or really came from xxx-xxx-xxxx and block it. They could but they won't. Meanwhile we have to live with it. Or send everything to voicemail not on your contacts and call back real people. You can sue companies that send you spam faxes but no relief from spam calls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's what I like to do with spam postal mail: 1.take every thing out of the envelope 2. find the addressed, postage-paid envelope that's always included 3. stuff ALL the rest of the spam into the postage-paid envelope 4. drop the lumpy, overstuffed load of spam into any convenient mailbox.

It is immensely satisfying to send their crap back to the senders. You will generally never get their crap again.

Wish I could do the same with spam calls and emails!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts