Ruger Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don't get much junk snail mail. What little I get is from preachers my late wife sent small donations to. Those are gradually disappearing now that the donations have stopped.

Spam calls - My greeting says I don't answer numbers I don't know, if they leave a message I might call them back. That if they don't leave a messge I'll block their number.
That's as generous as I care to be.

Junk email, I skim the list to be sure no good ones slipped in. Then I highlight them and they're blocked in two more clicks. It shows the sending addy. The most silly one lately was from a middle school in Pakistan saying I'd won a Yeti cooler. I've "won" a dozen Yetis in the past week. Exact same email, different addresses.

Anybody see where a cargo ship lost several containers of Yetis in the Alaskan storm, and thousands of them have washed ashore? ...:LOL:

Reactions: jayhdavis

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am retired and I enjoy keeping the junk callers on the phone as long as I can. The best line i have is I give them a CC number with an extra digit, they say that doesn't work and i respond that its a brand new CC from the Bank of Nigeria. That usually gets them to hang up.
When I have the time I do the same thing, keep trying different random fake CC numbers, tell them to hold on, my wife is looking for the other CC. The longer I keep them on the phone the less scam calls they can make. At the end I tell them to call back tomorrow, I'll make up some new numbers for them to try. That usually ends the calls. I almost kind of miss the guys with the indian accent claiming to be from the irs. That was a hoot.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
if I get a call and Caller ID does not show a number that is in my contacts, I let it go to voice mail.
I once had a scam call that displayed my phone number. Now that's stupidity.
A friend of mine got one of those calls from his own number, he said he was afraid to answer it as it might be him calling to say that he was dead!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I do the same thing except I don't tell them anything in the message. I always leave the stock message as well. If they hear a customized message they know it's an actively used number which can be called again and again. I just block every single unknown number that calls and doesn't leave a message. I get maybe one spam call a month now. Same with Emails.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The stuff gets old fast. I have seen a couple calls on my phone that show a long line of 0s ending with a 4 digit number or USA. I got one once where the person announced that she was from the Chinese Consulate General and that the General had not received the information that I was holding for him and wanted to know where it was. I just hung up. I figured that someone had run out of Nigerian Princes.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I get sequenced numbers. They call on a number ending in 1234. No message, I block it. Then a few minutes later they call from 1235. They never try a third time with 1236.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to only get scam calls on my cell phone a few times a week. Then I signed up on the "National Do Not Call List" with the understanding it would end them. Now I get half a dozen a day. Don't fix what's not broken.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts