Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Use to be police firemen, correctional officers were never called for jury duty. I got my questionaare in the mail today its for the Federal court. I have already filled out the paper work, I have been called for jury duty several times but was always released. Ofcourse it was the whole day was shot. Did sever once just serve once on a traffic court wasn't much to it.
But this time somehow I think I will end up severing on a jury. I sure hope its not one of those where they lock you up in a room for a long time. But which way it goes it is my duty to serve and I will do my duty as I always have. I'll keep ya'll posted as thing progess.
My only worry is that its seems like these days if I am watch TV I never stay awake for the whole movie anymore. I sure don't want that to happen, don't want the judge putting me in jail for sleeping. Of course I think I could stay awake in there for sure lol.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Been a while

Better wear a necktie!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea hadn't thought of that, yea have to go un armed and a neck tie too, dang I am going to my own hangin. So much for feeling good about doing my duty, I got to go necked and strangle the whole time I am there. Dang dim view now of jury duty.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Just tell them from your prior experience that if they were arrested there must be a good reason and so must be guilty. They hate that!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Don't dress up for it,dress like a slob.They will be less likely to pick you...works for me so far.;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
They will ask you a few questions Snuffy. Just make sure you answer with "He's guilty! Hang him!" They will thank you for coming & politely dismiss you!:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've gotten a notice several times, but here in VA there's a phone number you can call the night before and a recording says if your group is needed or not. I've never actually had to go. But I want to, once, I think it would be an interesting experience. I wouldn't wear a tie for it though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I told them I either knew the party involved(which I did no lie!!) or I felt that yes I could recommend the electric chair if given enough evidence. Was out of there like Doody through a goose!!:D[:p]

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just eat pickeled eggs and drink beer the night before.... ah while your sitting there waiting to be questioned... the first blow will cause the whole court room to be evacuted :D

Unless of course they have gas masks on hand....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess I'm one of those oddballs that actually signs up for jury duty. I've been called for jury duty once every year for the last 8 years, and have been selected to serve twice. Both times I was "elected" by the rest of the jury members to act as foreman. The was no dress code, and staying awake wasn't a problem, because they were both interesting cases, one involving DUI hit and run with great bodily injury, and one for assault with a deadly weapon. Both found guilty, BTW.

I actually allow the system to put my name back in the pool, as I find it fascinating, and any paid day away from prison work is o.k. in my book. Testimony can be dry and boring at times, I'll agree, but it can also be very entertaining and thought provoking. I'm sure that one day I'll get over my fascination with it, but for now, I don't mind.

You'd think that my working in Corrections would get me dropped like a bad habit by the defense attorneys, but when I explain that my job isn't to judge the inmates for the crimes they've been convicted of, or to punish them, that my responsibility is to ensure that they adhere to the rules, regulations and laws while they are incarcerated seems to portray me as a fair and impartial person, which is what I try to be.

So far, I haven't been called on this year, and hunting season is coming up soon, so I'll have to find a way out of serving if I am called upon, if it conflicts with hunting. A man's got to have his priorities straight, after all.

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Last time I had jury duty, I felt nekkid going in there...got to the metal detector and gave up my keys, and the female, other, guard person told me "You can't take those fingernail clippers in, they have a file and we can't let files in the courthouse.." I held it up---all 1 1/4" of it--and said "This????" She said "Yes, that is a file." I said, "OK, take the damn thing, I'm not walking out to the truck." and gave it to her...then said "Wait just a minute!!!" reached and grabbed it back out of her hand, broke the file off and gave it back to her, and said "There's your damn FILE...I might get a hangnail in there" and walked off leaving her standing there with her mouth open...I think I saw some grinning going on...by the way, I got paid $6.00 to go...less the $1.29+tax to replace the clippers...gas to get there cost more than that---think it's $40.00 a day now...I don't know if I'd want a jury trial after seeing what goes on there...might as well just tell them to shoot me....

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Yep, I've been called several times, and like EddieF, there is a number to call the night before. Each time the cases didn't go to trial so I wasn't required to report. I've been to court enough on the witness side or as an observer that there is no facination on watching our justice system in action. But if required I would report and do my time. I consider it a duty to our society and part of what makes us the country we are. All should vote, as well as serve their community as needed. But I still think the majority that actually go to trial belong in jail.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It's the AMERICAN way folks, messy but necessary. Sure beats living in any other country!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jaredshs

It's the AMERICAN way folks, messy but necessary. Sure beats living in any other country!
Your right, jardesh!:)Can't argue with that!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jaredshs,
Yes your right it is messy and all but one time have I been called to serve on a jury none the less I was there. I still get paid by the state as if I was at work and I get paid by the court for showing up. Will I be called on I would say yes I will, will I serve on the jury no don't think so. I sure wouldn't want to be one of those juries that is helded over in the hotel. Just a room and your mean's. I have thought about that me being single how would I check my postel mail and pay my bill's. Being single would sure be hard in having to be locked up.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Everytime I go for jury duty they treat us like the criminals.Dont know if thats the same everywhere or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts