Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
There's no such thing as "just an old 3 screw'. In my opinion, the 6 1/2" OM 357 mag Blackhawk was about the finest revolver ever made. I have a couple nice ones made in '72.... a 9mm/357 Convertible:

And my all time favorite, a 357 "brassie".

·
Registered
448 Posts
That gun is in excellent shape for its age. Good thing they don’t age like we do !:LOL:

Reactions: DILLIGAS

·
Registered
443 Posts
Anybody know what a fair price would be for one of these in excellent condition? Found one of these at a local store for $550.00. It was also made in 1968 and I’m very tempted....to say the least.

·
16,181 Posts
John, $550~600 seems to be the going price for a good specimen 357 Mag.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd love to find a 3-screw .357 mag. in that kind of shape to go with my 3-screw .41 mag.
Ruger Old Model Blackhawk .41  b.JPG

You just gotta love an "Old Model" Blackhawk - in ANY Caliber! IMO.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
16,181 Posts
Skyhunter, I'd love to have a 41 Mag brassie to go along with my 357 Mag brassie! BTW, a factory authentic brass grip frame shipped on a 357 Mag adds at least a thousand dollars to the value. There were 385 brassies made in 357 Mag with 4 5/8" barrels and 370 made with 6 1/2" barrels in . 41 Mag brassies are more scarce with 50 made in 4 5/8" barrels (worth $5k or more) and 160 made with 6 1/2" barrels (worth $3k or more).

Authentic brass grip frames were only made in the squared trigger guard "Dragoon" style with standard large Super Blackhawk walnut grips. There is a casting mark on the grip frame "MR3DB" that is under the grip panel. Brass grip frames were only shipped on guns made in 1971, '72, and '73. Most factory installed brass grip frames also have a wide trigger. It is not unusual for an actual factory shipped brass grip framed Blackhawk to not "letter" because Ruger did such a poor job of keeping track of them, but if they don't meet the above criteria, chances are they are not authentic. . Brass grip frames were also shipped on Old Army (unknown quantity but it doubles the value) and Super Blackhawks (1550 made during the same time period). At the time, you could mail order a brass grip frame from Ruger. Here's where it gets wormy .... the grip frame itself is authentic, however if the gun was not shipped with the brass grip frame , it only increases the value of the gun about $500.

Reactions: Armybrat
1 - 12 of 12 Posts