Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had been looking on a local forum's classifieds and one ad was for a blued 7.5" barrel Redhawk for $500. Looked Monday(4/4/16) evening and the price was down to $450 and at that price I thought if I didn't like it I would most likely be able to get my money back if I sold it. Made the offer to buy and am now the owner of my 1st 44 mag.The guy I bought it from had changed the factory grips out with Houge aftermarket grips which look like Super Redhawk grips but he had the original factory grips which I put back on. I searched the Ruger site but found no info on this one which is a Model 05013 according to the paper work that came with it. If anyone has any info on it I would appreciate it

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still need to slug the barrel and order a mould once I figure what factory grain it groups best with then I can start working up a hunting load. Looking forward to taking it out and putting some rounds thru it so I will have some empty brass.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Good buy, have fun shooting it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Great Price!!!!
I prefer the Hogue rubber grips on larger caliber revolvers.
Wood looks much nicer, but the Hogue rubber grips tamed the recoil for me and made it more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Congratz. Beautiful firearm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Price!!!!
I prefer the Hogue rubber grips on larger caliber revolvers.
Wood looks much nicer, but the Hogue rubber grips tamed the recoil for me and made it more fun to shoot.
I took the Hogue grips off and put the originals on just to take a picture. The Hogue grips will be going back on to help tame that recoil. When I was younger I probably would have left the wood grips on but I've punished my body enough over the last 58 years to use whatever will soften the recoil.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Buy what we can at those prices. The colts are sky high, the s&w are going sky high.
The older rugers will follow.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,412 Posts
Protect your Palm

Congratulations on your 1st .44magnum! That Redhawk will serve you well. When you start shooting full power loads you will know why those Hogue grips were on there. The exposed backstrap delivers a painful blow directly into the palm of your hand. No one shoots well when any pain is involved, so a cushy grip is a must. I have Hogues on a couple of magnum Ruger single-actions, but my stainless 7.5" .44 Redhawk wears Pachmyr Decelerators. They make the gun comfortable to shoot (my deer load is a 240gr XTP @1411fps) but don't have that PITA stirrup used to attach the Hogues. Glad to hear that you are a reloader. The .44mag is so versatile when loaded down. A buddy at work has a mould for 250gr SWC bullets, and at around 1000fps they make a great all around plinking/target/varmint load.
Have a great time shooting that pretty Redhawk.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That's a great deal. The blued Redhawk's are a little rarer to find. I believe the last year they were making them was in 1992.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's a really good deal for a fine pistol. For me, the factory wood works well enough for plinking loads but prefer hogues for hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts