Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought my first ruger ever yesterday afternoon and im real happy, but I seem to have discovered a little problem!
The area in the rifle that is exposed when the bolt is pulled back is full of like dried brown residue and it wont really wipe off. The. BRown dried greaselike residue is all over the internal metals of the rifle, it looks like someone baked grease into the metals with a lighter or something. It almost looks like the rifle has been used! I got it all off but the internals of my rifle dont ever look like they will be gray like all the guns at the store but a light brownish type of shade.
I went to a sporting goods shop today conducting ting other business and I noticed that all the 10/22s there had no grease discoloration and the metals are all light gray and shiny and sort of smooth. The metals on mine feel kind of nice and rugged.
I called ruger and they said to call back with a serial number which I will do tonight but from the description I gave them they told me that'd it had to be less than 10 months old.
Rifle is a 50th anniversary rifle gray in color with a 50th engraved chrome bolt.

Thanks for any help and plz pardon typing from my android!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anti-rust preservative. If it had been used, you would have seen black soot inside the rifle. Nothing to worry about. Standard solvent such as Hoppe's #9 and plenty of patches and a rag or Q-tips will make it shine. It is possible that the shop sprayed it down with WD-40 as a rust preventer - that stuff dries as you described.

As an iron-clad, no-exceptions policy, you should thoroughly clean the action and bore of any firearm that is new to you, whether new-in-box or used. You never know whether it is clean, with a clear bore, unless you do it yourself.

This goes in the same mandatory category as clearing any firearm you pick up or have handed to you, even if the guy who handed it to you just cleared it in front of you.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
To my knowledge, manufacturers are still test-firing guns and providing a spent casing. Perhaps the test-firing caused the shipping grease/oil to "bake" as you've described.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've purchased two 10/22's in the past 4 months and they both came as you described.

You should take your apart and clean it / lube it per the manual (and of course online experts opinions).

I did this cleaning / lube prior to shooting each of mine and was surprised with how much better/smoother each was and how much 'gunk' was in the action and the barrel prior to shooting.

A clean rifle is a happy rifle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ah th at s good to read. Ill try soaking it.in clp overnight. I was concerned because all the rugers I saw at the gun stores around me were shiny and silver on the inside and wernt stAined and tough/rough feeling and brown.

No brown soot at all though but the underside of the.bolt and all the.metal areas are grease burnt appearance. Thanks for all the exceepent replies, now I just have to figure out what to do with the pins inside the rifle that keep falling out!

My ruger definitely did.not come with a test fire casing

·
Registered
89 Posts
I going to assume your talking about the pins that hold the trigger group in the receiver. If you will go to Kidd Innovative Design, they make and sell pins that have Allen screws in them that lock the trigger group into the receiver. I use them in all my 10/22's or you can simply apply a couple of pieces of tape over the ends of the pins to keep the factory ones in place. The newer rifles seem to be bad about those pins dropping out when you take the action out of the stock.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ah th at s good to read. Ill try soaking it.in clp overnight. I was concerned because all the rugers I saw at the gun stores around me were shiny and silver on the inside and wernt stAined and tough/rough feeling and brown.

No brown soot at all though but the underside of the.bolt and all the.metal areas are grease burnt appearance. Thanks for all the exceepent replies, now I just have to figure out what to do with the pins inside the rifle that keep falling out!

My ruger definitely did.not come with a test fire casing
I'm not sure which "pins" you are talking about, but I have had moderate success keeping various pins in place by squeezing one end of such pins with a pliers to slightly deform the end. Just be consistent with the way you reinsert the pins so you can reverse the removal direction without dragging the deformed end all the way back thru the hole it sits in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Olds290,

I got a new 10-22 Target about 2 months ago. The bolt was like yours. I thought it was rusted at first. I had to use a scotchbite pad and solvent to get it off.
+1 on the Kidd trigger pins with Allen screws. I put them on both of my 10-22's

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts