Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought my first ruger, a used, New Vaquero that from the serial numbers has a build in 2012.

The cylinder was pretty dirty (gotta love people who don't even bother to clean a gun before they sell it) so I just cleaned it up and noticed what looks like a ding or divet in one of the chambers in the cylinder. I'm new to revolvers and am wondering if this rises to the level of calling up Ruger and sending the gun to them. It doesn't look like it would impede the bullet or anything but again, I am fairly new to revolvers and just don't know. Thanks for any advice.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Probably won't affect accuracy, but I'd be pissed if I bought it.
It's a really good reason to thoroughly inspect before purchase.
Incidently, a phone call to Ruger might offer a solution, worth a try.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Shoot it...if it groups ok, then forget it...or call Ruger about a fix. A nick on the mouth of the cylinder may not affect anything...but one on the crown of the barrel muzzle is usually a big deal. Rod

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Probably dinged by a steel cleaning rod. One good reason I only use brass or aluminum. Any cleaning rod should only be inserted in the rear of a cylinder, anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brining it to the range tomorrow

I'm going to bring it to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots. I don't suspect it will effect accuracy but if it does I'll have to deal with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
can't tell from the pic, but if it were me, i'd look REALLY REALLY close to see if that chip actually has a hairline fracture coming out of it from some direction, and as others have said a call to ruger couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Brass expands when fired.
Lol, not to the end of the cylinder! Do you see the ridge in the cylinder that's where the brass ends...it can't grow app. 1/4" in length!
You don't own a revolver I guess.;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Lol, not to the end of the cylinder! Do you see the ridge in the cylinder that's where the brass ends...it can't grow app. 1/4" in length!
:D

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
James 6591 you are correct the brass does not go that far. My first look I had to move the screen on the phone and only looked at the nick.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
From the gunsmith angle you'd be faced with turning the cylinder back to remove it. If it goes deeper than I can tell by the picture you'd end up having to remove the barrel and turning a complete turn or two for the barrel to reach the shortened cylinder. If it was shallow you might be able to get by with a shim or two assuming the hand still was able to do its job.

My advice is ship it to Ruger. They'll probably replace the cylinder with a new one timed to your frame and ready to roll. They don't like their guns (even used ones) out there floating around with an issue like this. Someone may mistake it for a "Ruger" problem. Ruger will set you up right. Be sure to call them first. They also don't like and unknown shooter showing up on their doorstep. Let them know that it's coming and what the problem is both on the phone and in written form with the gun. Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
James 6591 you are correct the brass does not go that far. My first look I had to move the screen on the phone and only looked at the nick.
That was Dawgface that pointed that out.
Mine was just a chuckle..... sorry about that. :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll call Ruger and see what they have to say. Thanks for the discussion and comments on this. I did find someone parting out a new Vaquero and I have a cylinder coming. Perhaps I can find a gunsmith in my area who can fit that cylinder to the gun so I don't have to have the gun away for awhile at Ruger (I heard it can take up to a month to have a gun repaired).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Modifications

On a gun show on TV they customized a .45 long colt revolver and made a chamfer on the cylinder openings. They may have taken out something equal to that ding. Just enough to make reloading easier. The only way to know is to shoot it, but I wouldn't worry about it if it was mine. But I would send that picture to Ruger. The possibility of a crack could be a concern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts