Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Aint never had a .444 Marlin before....... it just reached out and bit me :D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well I'm glad I'm a reloader... factory Remington ammo is $25.99 a box of 20.... [B)] But as a shooter this is one nice handling rifle, the felt recoil is more like my 30-30 than anything, maybe just a tad more but nothing to complain about. I don't think this will replace my love for the 45-70 cartridge which btw shoots better constructed bullets anyway... I think both the .444 Marlin and the 45-70 Government both have their places.

I just wanted to report back on the range session tonight.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm paying that for 20 Speer Gold Dot 230s---it's just high on anything that is fun or tastes good---life is tough...Are you saying that the .444 kicks quite a bit less than the 45-70? I've been lovin' the look of the guide guns (short barrel) but heard the kick was ferocious...never fired either-love that big hole in the barrel...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I pay less than 20$ to load a box of 50 with gas checks and considerly less for plinkers. Recoil isn't bad at all with butt pad. However my 45-70 Browning 1886 will leave you sore, metal curved butt with no pad. I think you'll really like .444 JB. The XLR model is fairly new and I don't think I've seen one in the flesh but it looks good on paper.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sheepdog its hard to compare simply because the load for the .444 Marlin is a 240-gr JSP bullet and for 45-70 its 405-gr and above :D

I suppose iffin I got some Beartooth Bullets in say the same weight grain, then tested them side by side to see felt recoil. I do know that in looking for reloading componants the availability of 45-70 cases I have. I probably have something like 400 empty cases in the shop. But I have to order the .444 Marlin cases from Midway. Once ordered then everything is fine :D

I'll still get me a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 though [:p]

·
Registered
918 Posts
JB one of my brothers in law had a Marlin 444 years ago but he sold it to someone that kept wouldn't leave him alone until he did sale it. I think he's been sorry ever since. I shot it and thought it was a keeper.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had one sold it didn't think the Army would like me killing their tanks. It sure didn't look as good as yours.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm getting in on this thread a little late but that lever gun sure looks like a beauty and no doubt would be potent medicine for whitetails. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm paying that for 20 Speer Gold Dot 230s---it's just high on anything that is fun or tastes good---life is tough...Are you saying that the .444 kicks quite a bit less than the 45-70? I've been lovin' the look of the guide guns (short barrel) but heard the kick was ferocious...never fired either-love that big hole in the barrel...

If you reload , the .45-70 can be loaded from mild to wild .

I have read some about the .444 , but never shot one .

I hear , if you need the power , they can be loaded with bullets heavier than the " standard " 240 grain ( that is what I load in my .44 Mag ) .

God bless
wyr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts