Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided 4 years ago to teach myself to deer hunt. One of the major tasks was buying a deer rifle. I wanted to buy the best all around rifle for everything. I had narrowed it down to a GSR or a Browning BLR. I found a great deal on a used BLR in great shape so thats what I went with. Since then I have worked on turning into the best hunting rifle of all time. I do believe I have come as close as possible to that.

The BLR is a takedown model in .308. It is the only lever action out there that shoots .308 and it uses detachable magazines. It shoots about 1 MOA which is more than enough.

The BLR came with a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40 which I kept on it. That was the first time I had ever used decent glass and I was impressed. I know there are better scopes but I like the Rifleman just fine. I did switch out the standard rings for Leupold QD rings though.

The biggest complaint about BLRs are the triggers. They come with 6 lb gritty triggers and the system is so complicated that gunsmiths refuse to work on them. There is a single gunsmith up in PA that is famous for doing BLR trigger jobs so I sent the gun off to him. I don't have anything to measure pull weight but it is much better and smoother.

Being a Browning it has a beautiful wood stock and nice bluing. So as not to hurt it while hunting I wrapped it in a Gunskin. It was tedious but came out well.

Finally, I bought a small picatinny rail that is easily removable so that I have a place to attach my TLR-1.

What I ended up with is a handy, fast shooting short action rifle that takes detachable magazines and shoots 1 MOA. It can be packed easily because the takedown feature and can be used to hunt in states where semi autos prohibited (if I ever get to one of those states). With the light on I can use it for night hunting and it has enough power to take any game in North America (I know not all of you will agree with that though). What more could I want in a rifle?

Here are before and after pictures:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Excellent job of wrapping the gun to protect the finish. That rifle and caliber would also make a good heavy woods elk rifle with the right bullet like the Nosler Partition.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Nice work, cool looking lever action! I'm itchin' for a .308 someday. I don't hunt anymore so I don't need a .308, it's just a want thing. Maybe I'll run across an inexpensive one someday. Yeah...

·
Registered
17,071 Posts
Congratulations, that's a nice BLR.
I bought mine new in 81, but it's not a takedown.
Got it at Carter's Country on the Katy Freeway for $240.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Nice Browning BLR I much prefer a wood stock & blued metal finish vs a camouflage tape wrap! But to each his own very very nice rifle though!!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations, that's a nice BLR.
I bought mine new in 81, but it's not a takedown.
Got it at Carter's Country on the Katy Freeway for $240.
What a price! Of course things are a bit different these days. I got mine for $800 imcluding the scope, which I think was a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Browning BLR I much prefer a wood stock & blued metal finish vs a camouflage tape wrap! But to each his own very very nice rifle though!!!
I'm with you on that, but after adding a few dents and dings the past couple of seasons I decided to wrap it to protect it for the time being. The Gunskin is a cool product. It was basically like shrink wrapping the gun. It is supposed to be fully waterproof, has a 5 year warranty and comes off supposedly with no residue when I'm done with it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cant fault you for wanting to protect the wood and finish and it does look nicely done. That is a well thought out rig. The takedown feature and quick disconnect rings are fantastic.

This year will be me and my Dads fourth year deer hunting after teaching ourselves. We did have a lot of help from the hunters on the neighboring property and some of my Dads pals. Greatly appreciated. I've met some real nice people through hunting. Its always a good time. Good luck this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts