Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Like the title says I just got a 1996 P90 as a gift. It's beautiful! Many questions. First of all is my gun more than just a P90? I realize there might be several models of the P90 so if you can tell from the picture that would be great. Secondly if the hammer is back and I turn the safety on the hammer slams home. Would this fire the gun if it was loaded???? I've never seen this sort of thing. My other gun is a dual action and I manually de-cock. Also what kind of aftermarket attachments are there? I have my eye on an inside the waistband holster by Aliengear. Ruger P90 Cloak Tuck IWB Holster (Inside the Waistband)
Anyone use this one?

Please help with my questions and anything else I should know about this gun.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I know the P95 has a decocker only model, meaning the safety just releases the hammer but does not fire the round. Not sure if the P90 has a similar setup or not.

In any case, nice looking P series. Be safe!

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is a spot,a plunger,that disconnects the firing pin. It will not fire simply by putting the pistol on safe,even though it looks dangerous as hell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks all. Yeah it worries me when it works like that haha. So my P90 is just a straight-up regular P90 right? Any other input? :) I'm certainly surprised at the fast responses.

Thanks

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
You have a K-P90.A standard safety P90 with a stainless steel slide.Looks like you have some rubber grips on it already.The only upgrade there is finger groove grips.You can replace the sights.I put a FO sight on one of my P90's.Then polished up some of the parts. Shoot that gun and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ok thanks all. Yeah it worries me when it works like that haha. So my P90 is just a straight-up regular P90 right? Any other input? :) I'm certainly surprised at the fast responses.

Thanks
I still wince when I decock it with the safety on my P95...always waiting for that round to fire out. But it has always worked as designed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
They made a P90 with a de cock only, but yours doesn't appear to be that version. The safety acts as a de cocker, but won't allow you to fire the gun without re cocking first.
Regarding the original poster's P90, it's a manual safety model. If the hammer is cocked and the safety is activated/placed in the "on safe" position the hammer will fall forward-and it's perfectly safe to do so with a round chambered.

To subsequently fire the P90, the user will need to first move the safety lever to the "off safe" position, and then fire, using either the DA action where the trigger cocks the hammer as part of the DA pull-through, or once off safed the hammer can be tuumb-cocked, and the gun fired SA. With subsequent shots, the slide reciprocation will cock the hammer, enabling SA firing.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
619 Posts
Never had a problem with hammer drop on any of my P series pistols, designed that way. The de-cock safety will drop the hammer and the safety will return to the fire position and always ready to fire. P-38's, Makarovs and my Sigs work the same way. Sure there are probably several more that work the same way.
When you move the safety you can see the notch that allows the hammer to fall or not. Enjoy

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Hey all. Like the title says I just got a 1996 P90 as a gift. It's beautiful! Many questions. First of all is my gun more than just a P90? I realize there might be several models of the P90 so if you can tell from the picture that would be great. Secondly if the hammer is back and I turn the safety on the hammer slams home. Would this fire the gun if it was loaded???? I've never seen this sort of thing. My other gun is a dual action and I manually de-cock. Also what kind of aftermarket attachments are there? I have my eye on an inside the waistband holster by Aliengear. Ruger P90 Cloak Tuck IWB Holster (Inside the Waistband) Anyone use this one?

Please help with my questions and anything else I should know about this gun.

Thanks Mark

You have received a terrible pistol for a gift. Whoever gave you that must not like you very much! Tell you what...why don't you 'gift' that ugly thing right over to me and I'll hang on to so you can feel better!

Congrats! That's actually an excellent pistol...it'll shoot all day and then some! Based on the pic, who ever had it took good care of it and looks like it's in great shape!

I have a stainless P97DAO (polymer frame with a 4" barrel) and it's awesome...the mags interchange with the P90's!

Hope you enjoy it for a long time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. Not sure if the gun was bought new by him, but it wasn't used much. It's in great shape. So from what I gather theres some aftermarket grips, and maybe mags, but thats about it huh? No threaded barrels for silencers? haha. I thought this gun would have been more supported. But anyway it's a great gun. Can't wait to take it to the range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting history on the now discontinued P-series. Ruger designed and built these back in the 80's to compete for the Army contract to replace the 1911's they'd been using since WWI era. Beretta's 92 platform won the contract, but Ruger now had a rugged combat-capable semi auto for the rest of us to consider. I think 2012 was the last year of production for the descendants of your P-90. Yours is all steel, whereas the newer models, such as the P345, have polymer frames. Shooters accustomed to lighter and crisper triggers often dislike these, but they're wonderful weapons.

·
Super Moderator
21,066 Posts
They made a P90 with a de cock only, but yours doesn't appear to be that version. The safety acts as a de cocker, but won't allow you to fire the gun without re cocking first.
With the safety off it can be fired in the D/A mode. I think that is what you meant as the hammer doesn't need to be manually cocked.

To the OP I have a P94 with a similar set up and it is certainly causes some anxiety the first few times. I loaded a mag and took it outdoors, loaded it up and chambered a round and put the safety on all while pointed at the ground. No bang when the hammer snapped down. If you chamber the round with the safety on it will put a round in the chamber and decock at the same time. If you want to fire you have to sweep the safety off (up-the wrong way IMHO) and it is ready to go in D/A mode with then following rounds in S/A mode.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My P90 was my fist pistol I carried it daily for many years. I have nearly 30k rounds down mine. Without even a hiccup. This gun is the reason I own over 15 ruger pistols, and My EDC is a ruger to this day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting history on the now discontinued P-series. Ruger designed and built these back in the 80's to compete for the Army contract to replace the 1911's they'd been using since WWI era. Beretta's 92 platform won the contract, but Ruger now had a rugged combat-capable semi auto for the rest of us to consider. I think 2012 was the last year of production for the descendants of your P-90. Yours is all steel, whereas the newer models, such as the P345, have polymer frames. Shooters accustomed to lighter and crisper triggers often dislike these, but they're wonderful weapons.
You speak of the P85.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruger P90 are Awesome Pistols

Can't say much more than others have already told you here. The information all looks good. I have several Ruger P series models and cherish each one. Incredibly accurate and reliable beyond belief. The only reason people seem to sell these off is because they consider them too big for conceal carry. Depending on circumstances, that may be true sometimes, other times not. Either way, I will always keep mine and enjoy them as much as possible. You got a great gift!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts