Ruger Forum banner

Just Got My Carbine and could use some advice

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tjweeks 
#1 ·
I just got my carbine. I guess it's kind of the starter version but I still love it. I was going to mount a red dot on the available picatinny rail over the trigger area. I saw someone talking about due to the lack of chin space on the stock He had a very hard time sighting with the red dot9he said it sat too high) he went further down the gun and removed the back sight and mounted a small picatinny rail there and then mounted the red dot on top of that. He claims it centers the red dot with the slope of the gun. Does this sound like a good idea or has someone else done it differently? Thanks for any help

#2 ·
Hi tj, welcome! I suppose it's personal preference. Start with stock, give it a try and see what works best for you, personally.

I don't believe there's a "known issue" with the scope mount location.

Give 'er a try and most importantly, enjoy!

#5 ·
If I ever get a chance to actually shoot mine,( returned to Ruger) I have a Sampson Picatinny Rail that spands the entire top of the rifle. It's attached with the hardware from both iron sites. I bought Holosun's 510 Reflex to mount on the barrel. Upgraded Pins, Muzzle Brake, Sling and Extended Mag and Bolt Release are all waiting to go on too.

#9 ·
I have had mine mounted both ways. It will work fine mounting it to the factory pic rail but i did wind up replacing my rear sight and mounting it with a small piece of pic rail there. I did find it to be a little bit more comfortable with the factory stock. Also, you have the added benefit of not losing your zero when you take the gun apart when you mount your red dot to the barrel.

#11 ·
Man, I sure do like that barrel attachment. Unfortunately they are about $150. Out of my range. My wife has her eye on me with this thing. I bought a 10/22 a couple of years ago for a couple hundred dollars and they I caught the "upgrade" fever. When I finally got control of myself I had over $1500 in it. I would like to do that again but it would really start rocking the boat here at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.