Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own alot of DA and SA rugers, but this is my first OA. My God! does it feel good in my hand! Takes me to a new century, the one I shoulda been born in!
It's missing the "tool" and anything else that should have been in the box besides the gun it'self. Any idea where I can find the tool and whatever (did they come with a powder flask?).
Also, what kind of powder, loads, and bullets does everyone use? Do you use filler on lighter loads?...or simply seat the bullet lower?
Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,082 Posts
Just learned on the other Ruger forum .... all Old Army models have now been discontinued.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
You can buy the nipple wrench direct from Ruger, and that is all they came with, besides the instruction manual and box. You will have to buy powder flask, etc. Cabela's, Dixie Gun Works, and many other places will sell you all you need to operate it. I like real black powder best FFF, but it is very hard to find. Pyrodex P is more common to find in stock. I like Hornady .457 round balls, Remington #10 caps, and about 30 grains (by volume) of powder. I don't use the lighter loads, the best loads for me by far has been to put enough powder in that the ball compresses the powder slightly. Never had much luck with conicals either, but your results may vary. Before you buy anything, call or write Ruger for an instruction manual.

·
Registered
987 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

Just learned on the other Ruger forum .... all Old Army models have now been discontinued.
Yep, they are already listed as such on their web site. Thanks to a special gentleman here, I have my second one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gee, I kinda hate to point you somewhere else, as I really like this forum *, but this is a GREAT READ on shooting cap 'n ball revolvers, and I'd suggest you check it out:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,3932.0.html

( * If the moderators don't like me listing another website, they can pull this posting... )

Good luck, tight groups & white smoke!

Old No7

ps: And be sure to check out the "modification" posts I posted a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Darn it all Flash...

Seeing that "flashy" picture of your BRIGHT Old Army again, makes me think mine will soon have to look like that... She sure is PURTY!!!

Still must be tough to shoot it in the bright sun though... :D

Old No7

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,082 Posts
Old No7, No problem with your reference to another site. It's a healthy way to provide more information.

·
Registered
987 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Old No7

Darn it all Flash...

Seeing that "flashy" picture of your BRIGHT Old Army again, makes me think mine will soon have to look like that... She sure is PURTY!!!

Still must be tough to shoot it in the bright sun though... :D

Old No7
Don't know how it shoots yet. I have too many irons in the fire lately but maybe by spring I'll have time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts