Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, its been a while since I posted anything; I have been super busy. Anyway, I just bought another handgun from Ruger's SR series, a full size blued SR 9. This is my third one. I have a stainless full size SR 9 and a stainless SR 9 compact. I will have to verify, but it seems that the blued SR is lighter than the stainless.
I have to admit, before I purchased my first one I was skeptical. In my area that are cheaper than some Taurus handguns. Now after owning one for a while, they will replace my Glocks as my go to handgun. I can't say anything bad about these handguns. They are highly reliable, durable, and an excellent value. I compared them to the XD, Glock, and the M&P and found they did more than hold their own against their higher priced competition. I will write something up more detailed with pictures if I can find the time. (lol, at my age I am a full time college student. I am in the part of my education where I spend as much time in the hospital doing clinical rotations as I do in class. It is hard to find much time these days.) If you are considering one and have any questions, feel free to send me a message. Frank

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations, that's good mate.
Ever considered an SR1911?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my SR9. It's my daily carry gun; use it for IDPA each month; for private lessons; all my training; etc. I own two Sig 2022s, an XD, XDM and M&P. My SR9 feels and shoots better, at least for me, than any of my other handguns. If I could only keep one of my guns, I'd keep the SR9.

-- david

·
Registered
11 Posts
SR magazines

:D Good job on the third SR. I would like to pass on that you can buy the SR 40 Magazine for 34.00 on Midway USA. The SR9 magazines anr the same price. they work well in my SR40C.:)

Wilson57

·
Registered
294 Posts
I picked up 2 SR9 mags for $29.99 at my LGS. I wasn't going to pass up that deal.

I have the black SR9 with the black slide. I love it. It runs like a Ruger. (BANG-repeat 16 times. Reload. BANG-repeat 16 times. Repeat as often as needed to guarantee complete shooting satisfaction)

It's almost boring, but not quite. I've thought about selling a couple of guns to buy another.

If only Blackhawk made a left handed SERPA holster for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought me a Ruger SR 9 last weekend at my local Gun Show, I took it to the local range and ran 150 rounds through it. Everything went smooth except I had 2 Stovepipes. It was like every third magazine did it. Is this normal? I used the Winchester 9mm (white box)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Love my SR40c. It is a quality firearm, reliable, and dog nuts accurate if I am having a good day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know how you feel. I bought a SR40 about 2 months ago and really like it. I put a Ghost Ultimate in it and it's even better. I liked it so much I just picked up a SR40c in all black the other day. The full size is the stainless slide. I love my Glock 26 and my Glock 30 but the SR 's are right up there !!!!! IMHO. (maybe I'll get a SR9c next?) LOL!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me the sr guns just feel right. To me the only thing that glock does better is being able to change a barrel and get mags and you have a different caliber. One gun many choices.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Congrats. Yes they are great guns. The only thing that's almost as much fun as shooting them is reloading more ammo to shoot them some more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats. Yes they are great guns. The only thing that's almost as much fun as shooting them is reloading more ammo to shoot them some more.
I have been seriously thinking about getting into reloading. I know nothing about it though, I don't know where to start. Over the holidays I will do some research.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought me a Ruger SR 9 last weekend at my local Gun Show, I took it to the local range and ran 150 rounds through it. Everything went smooth except I had 2 Stovepipes. It was like every third magazine did it. Is this normal? I used the Winchester 9mm (white box)
I'm sure you probably cleaned it and lubricated it before going to the range??? If so, my suggestion is to clean and lube it again and run 100 rounds of a different brand ammo though it and see if it "breaks in". Most SRs are incredibly reliable, but some pistols for whatever reason do not like certain ammo. If you still have stovepipes, it might be time to call Ruger??

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree. SR's will take pretty much any ammo thrown at them. Winchester White Box is junk though. They are factory reloads and are the only ammo my SR9c ever struggled with. Federal Champion are cheaper and run flawless.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Congrats on the new SR9s. I love mine and have yet to experience any ammo issues after 2K rounds. I usually use Federal or WWB, whichever is available.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Thank you. Yes I have considered one for some time now. However, they are extremely hard to find. I have been on a waiting list for some time now.
Don't give up, I've had one since February, they are "a hoot to shoot".
They are becoming more avaiable

I have been seriously thinking about getting into reloading. I know nothing about it though, I don't know where to start. Over the holidays I will do some research.
Was in the same boat a while back, a good mate is into reloading (long term).
We went shopping and I've had him looking over my shoulder for a while.
Been a great exercise.
You don't save any money, you just shoot more..... :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought mine a few weekends ago and put close to 100 rounds through it without a hiccup. I'd clean and lube it again (make sure you go light on the lube, a little goes a long way!) and try a different ammo. If you don;t have any problems, then I'd try the original ammo again to see if it's working well again.

FWIW, I shot American Eagle, 115 grain, FMJ's through mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats on getting your SR9, LilMsRuger34. I bought mine back in February and have been shooting it ever since, always with the cheapest ammo available. I've put well over 1,000 rounds through it and have had only two stovepipes. Both times it was the ammo, not the gun (TulAmmo).

I do have a friend, however, who's had some weird problems with his SR40. At least once per shooting session, the second round in a mag will FTE. Seems like once the gun is warmed up it no longer happens. I recommended that he contact Ruger to see if they can help.

Enjoy your new pistol!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts