Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Finally got my pistol after a real smooth transaction.

I always liked the way this gun looked - especially with the 678 barrel on this thing!! Cannot wait to shoot it this week. Got some real nice CCI cartridges and some bulk Remington.

Is it normal for the pistol to have some very minor scratches and scuffs if its supposedly new (see close up of paint scratch near mag release button)? I don't mind, but just want to be sure this thing is new, I'm not really sure how you tell.

Well, here it is!!

Thanks for looking!

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the forum and CONGRATULATIONS on your new pistol and on joining the ranks of gun owners. Most particularly, Ruger gun owners. :)

Now we'll be looking for that first "range report."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good looking gun.
I have owned one of each from the time it was the Ruger Standard for $69 all the way to the MK III.

That looks less like a scratch and more like debris was on the gun when they blued it.
Bur a tube of blue touchup paste and you can correct it. You leave it on one minute, wipe off and oil. Good as new.

Pay close attention to disassemble and assembly instructions.
Some call it difficult, but I really don't think so.
A soft hard surface to push against is good, or you can us a mallet with a plastic head.

If you have feeding issues, look up a little mod you can do to the magazine lips. (Less is more, when it comes to filing metal.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Congratulations on your first firearm purchase! You made a great decision, however the blemish on your finish is not normal. You have the option to send it to Ruger, they have excellent customer service and I am certain they will take care of you. Otherwise enjoy your new purchase!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the forum. I would try wsteinborn's advice for the cosmetic touch up. This is a great place for all sorts of (mostly good) information.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agree with Walnutz about the remedy suggested by wsteinborn if everything is good with the gun. However it was Rugers poor QC that let it out the factory door. If you are happy with it then touch up and enjoy. Consider a Sam or Bam bushing, VQ sear and trigger and you will have a fine shooting pistol.
Stew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just love that model Ruger. My understanding is they no longer manufacture the tapered barrel'd 678. I can't quite read the fired casing date--2011? If no longer making them that must be one of the last.:)

Could have bumped into something in the box if it had been around a while.

·
Registered
719 Posts
NICE pistol my friend....

Welcome from the Florida panhandle near Pensacola...
Merry Christmas & God Bless...

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,359 Posts
B4721 ... Welcome from SW Ohio & congrats on your new MKIII. If you take proper care of it, it will provide you a lifetime of service and enjoyment :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Congratulations, enjoy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your new handgun Enjoy it & Greetings & Welcome to the forum from the "Tar Heel" State of North Carolina.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have one of the 6-7/8 Hunters and it took me a while to get used the long sight radius. I shoot a 4-1/4 Hunter a lot and switching between the two was a challenge at first. The longer barrel is really magnifies your movement off center if you lose focus on the front sight for a micro second.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ive got a spitten image of it, i found it at Pro Bass a couple of years ago. I alwyas liked that model also and will never part with that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey everyone,

Finally got my pistol after a real smooth transaction.

I always liked the way this gun looked - especially with the 678 barrel on this thing!! Cannot wait to shoot it this week. Got some real nice CCI cartridges and some bulk Remington.

Is it normal for the pistol to have some very minor scratches and scuffs if its supposedly new (see close up of paint scratch near mag release button)? I don't mind, but just want to be sure this thing is new, I'm not really sure how you tell.

Well, here it is!!

Thanks for looking!
Yes Ruger QC is not what it once was at all though that applies to most things these days...My [email protected] MP9 is back for repairs ony a month old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.