Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot my new .357 Sp101. It is a great gun. The DA is awful.

How much does it cost to get it adjusted?

Is it something you can do yourself?

Will it ever get acceptable with usage?

The gun is great. In SA I could keep everything on the paper at 25yds. Which for me is pretty good with a new gun.

DA, we won't talk about

·
Banned
108 Posts
Welcome from the Sunny Old Dominion of Virginia! Generally the DA should get smoother with time and many advocate plenty of dry firing to speed the process up. If that does not meet your needs I would consult a competent gunsmith and discuss it further. Should'nt be very expensive.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
They do sell spring kits and stuff that is supposed to lighten up the DA.

Remember: The lighter the spring, the lighter the primer hit.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Welcome. Put some snap-caps in and dry fire it. This will help smooth the action and get your finger in shape. Order the spring kit from Wolff and try the 12lb hammer spring. It's a 1 minute job to swap them. Your local smith can probably tune it up nicely for ~$50.

Keep posting and when you get to 100 posts you'll get access to Iowegan's IBOK that will tell you how to polish the internals properly for a smoooooth trigger.

The SP101 is a great gun, especially once it's been slicked up a bit.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Howdy jim85255, yep, most new SP101s need a little time to break in. As you dry fire the mating parts will smooth out over several hundred repetitions. I suggest first dissembling following your manual and cleaning the internals. Look for sharp burrs and pieces left over from the machining process. Then very lightly oil and dry fire a bunch. You will be surprised how much this will help. I wouldn't suggest replacing springs until the gun has had it's dry-fire break in period and several hundred rounds fired through it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings ! Like everyone's said, do some break in - dry firing and live firing - and your SP101 will lighten up. Take it apart and put it together again a couple times to get familiar with everything. Do a search of the forums on SP101 and you'll find more info and good tips on its' care and feeding. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome from Mid-Michigan!!

Must vary from gun to gun, and I expect with use it will smooth out.

Mine is very smooth and is almost as accurate as SA.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Welcome from another SP101 owner.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I just shot my new .357 Sp101. It is a great gun. The DA is awful.

How much does it cost to get it adjusted?

Depends on whom does the work.

Is it something you can do yourself?

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

Will it ever get acceptable with usage?

It will get better by lots of "Dry Firing" but a 'smith can make it better faster.

The gun is great. In SA I could keep everything on the paper at 25yds. Which for me is pretty good with a new gun.

Keeping the bullets on the Target is the goal.

DA, we won't talk about

I render all my Concealed Carry Revolvers Double Action Only.

You're Welcome.

Biker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts