Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent in my application for CHL back on September 27. Supposedly, the process takes about 60 days (at a minimum) here in the state of Texas. Just found out this afternoon that my license has been granted and was mailed out to me today. Friends, I'm really excited! :D

If any of you veteran pistol packers out there have any advice for me, I'm all ears. (I'll be carrying either an SP-101 or a P345.)

Amistad
'pumped up, jacked up, and stoked in Texas!'

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Congratulations! The only advice I will give you is to keep it concealed, and not tell everyone you know that you have a CCW. It will seem strange at first packing a gun, but you will get used to it.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Use a good quality Belt and Holster, this will do wonders for concealment.

Also, learn to "Dress Around The Gun."

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!! That's yelling, I'm told...consider yourself yelled at and congratulations!!!!!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Congrats! Chalk up another one for the "good guys"...

Remember, you never leave the house thinking "Today I am getting into an auto accident", but yet you buy auto insurance.

Make sure you carry your "insurance" when you leave your home.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Don't be gun shy--carry!
Starting off it will feel like your trying to conceal a football. Over a little time with your chosen method of carry and a small wardrobe adjustment---you'll be comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st time: Walmart

Go to Walmart for xmas shopping, it will get you used to being in public carrying. Walmart shoppers are normally to focused on their own business to worry about you.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Tell only a trusted few that you carry-the more folks that know, the less effective you'll be...like something happens at church someday and some old lady sings out "You've got your gun, Joe...stop him!!!"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
some great points here to keep in mind, glad for ya pal.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Congrats. All have given very good info. I echo that you invest in a good quality belt and holster. Needless to say, keep in mind that a huge responsiblity goes with your carry permit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, the 345 is a surprisingly good CCW piece, mine resides in a High Noon IWB holster. You might want to carry at home using to get used to the "feel," and to find the right spot that allows you access but doesn't jab you in the wrong place. I know the first time I went out with mine I was very self-conscious about have the gun on my person; now its presence is just a comfort.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Much Congrats, Believe me I know the feeling. A lot of good advice from the more experienced in this forum, take it and make good use of it. I have, and find it a major blessing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by bob9900

Also, the 345 is a surprisingly good CCW piece, mine resides in a High Noon IWB holster. You might want to carry at home using to get used to the "feel," and to find the right spot that allows you access but doesn't jab you in the wrong place...
Bob9900, I really appreciate the replies from you and the others in this thread. I am really excited about this whole thing of taking the training, qualifying at the range, and now at last being granted a license to carry. I've been practicing here in the house with the P345 for the past few weeks. I'm carrying it with a cool Bianchi IWB holster that Mr. RNettles pointed me to. In experimenting as to where to carry it, I finally settled on crossdrawing, with the gun just in front of my left hip. Seems to work very well and I look forward to "going live" tomorrow evening if I receive the license tomorrow...

Amistad
'still jacked up, pumped up, and stoked in Texas!' [8D]

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Congratulations Amistad! Just remember, "An armed society is a polite society." When I first started carrying I was very self-conscious - get over it. My wife says she can never tell when I am carrying. (Maybe that's because I carry all the time, everywhere that doesn't have metal detectors.)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Congrats, all above have good advice. It heightens the awareness of your surroundings and your own actions. Be a responsible CCW holder, keep it to yourself. May you never have to draw.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congrats. Mine CHL showed up this week and I'm carrying tonight. Feel like I've got a freakin' ball on my hip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll second the P345 being a good CCW piece. Been carrying it now for about 4 or 5 months in a $5 KNJ holster and it's quite comfortable. I never leave home without it (g/f doesn't like it but she can go elsewhere if she thinks I'm giving it up) and I don't even feel it on me anymore. I'd like to get a nicer holster one day but I'll have to get one custom made because I'm too picky. Anywho, the biggest change with carrying for me was my whole attitude changed. I'm more relaxed and observant than I used to be b/c I know I've got the upperhand when the $h!t hits the fan. Congratulations on your new permit, it will serve you well.

Conley

1 - 20 of 20 Posts