Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite dealer just got this one in on trade. I got it for $145.00 out the door. I love this gun dealer ! It too, barely has been shot. The slide stop is still so stiff to release that it looks to have barely had a hundred rounds through it. He also has a Colt mustang 380 there for $400.00, is it worth that or should I find something else ? He said their rare and that there are not very many around any more ? O know its not a Ruger, but I don't have any 380 guns in any form and always wanted one.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Don't buy that boy o gun books...keep him iggorant...what a price!!! I wouldn't give $100 for a Mustang, though...if you've always wanted a .380...put that much and more into a stainless PPK, you'll have a better gun...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping you would chime in sheep ! So, not only is the price way to high, its a big piece of crap ? I thought somethin was funny there ! I just saw one go for $250 on gun broker and that one was unfired in the box with 4 extra mags. I was looking at the PPK in 380, I can get one for $495.00 NIB is that a good price ? I am just wondering if you had a bad experience with the mustang or if it is just a big piece of crap with constant problems ?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I can't comment on the .380s, as I don't believe in em, but you got a steal on that Ruger!

·
Registered
947 Posts
You got a great deal on that 22/45. Take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Likely there's still shipping preservative inside and it will get thicker over time. Also, that slide stop button has a detent ball in it and preservative may have hardened in that making the release very tight. Remember to slingshot the Ruger 22 Autos, just releasing the bolt release will quickly wear the bolt stop lever down causing failures to lock open. Go to my 22/45 maintenance page for some good pictures and instructions on tearing your pistol apart. http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
A .380 is just a hair above rock...you don't want to have to fumble off a safety and have a good grip...you want that thing to start slinging bullets this millisecond....it's a last-chance kinda thing-just a mousegun with hair on its chest...I'd want it to be grab and squeeze...and I'd look seriously at 9 instead...but if you want one...PPK is worth the $$---best ever designed in my old opinion...I'd honestly rather carry a 9-shot .22 with stingers than .380...bullet placement is everything...and OK, I'll admit it, the only Colt auto I like is the 1911 in .45....

·
Registered
681 Posts
HB-DLX, that is indeed a "steal" you done awesome......I love that model myself.

As for the Colt.380 , around here that is a very GOOD price, as the Colts just keep going up, up, up......
as said above, I too don't give a hoot for the caliber 380 or even its "big brother", but as they say something is better than nothing.
Do not know how your dealer could do that , and still make money.... he must LIKE you............

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys ! I am going to go with the PPK. I just hadn't had any feed back on that model Walther, I own a couple Walthers and have always had them be reliable and have never had any problems with them. The dealer doesn't give every one those prices and some of the people here seem to be kind of retarded when it comes to selling their guns off. I don't know why they do some of the deals they do with him. He usually saves guns he knows I like and gives them to me for 10 percent above what je got them for on trade because I have bought several very expensive guns from him, including one of my Barrett's ! So, he returns the favor by selling me those used trade ins at the best price possible, hell at certain times he even gives me ammo that people left or traded in with the fire arms. I ended up with 600 rounds for the AK I bought recently because some goof traded it in with one of his AK's and he couldn't sell it, so he gave it to me. He is pretty cool most of the time, but at times on certain deals, I just ignore him bec`ause they suck. All in all though he has given me some awesome deals, although I am sure he makes money on every sell one way or another. I also wouldn't be caring the 380. I usually carry a 45 0r 10mm in a shoulder holster, a 40 cal on the hip or small of the back and a 9mm in a ankle holster on a daily bases. I don't think I'll have a problem being out gunned ??!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You're right, Wiz....I forgot the Sigs...I'm lefty and their de-cocker's not for me...but they make their guns like Swiss watches...sure need to be considered...a bit higher than the PPK but smoother.....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I used to shoot IPCC with a Sig P226 (about 10 years ago). I shot minor caliber because it was a 9mm, but I constantly ranked 1 or 2 in class. That was the sweetest pistol I've ever shot. I sent it back to the factory for a trigger job...they did it nice. I still have my .380, and even though it is a small caliber, I still like it for carry.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
dang good buy you made there!
I have a low opinion of the colt mustang series and believe there you are paying for the name. Other folks have had good luck with them and swear by them instead of at them.
The ppk is a classic.
The most accurate 380 i ever shot was the cz83--a large gun but of exceptional quality.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Around here thats a great price for the Mustang!! I had the slightly larger Government Pocketlite .380 and it was awesome! I have a PPK/S but still wish I had both.

Great Ruger!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yep, you stole that 22/45 but forget the Mustang. I have a friend that carries one every day and swears by it but in my opinion, like most Colts now, it's over priced. There are a whole lot of .380s out there just as good and probably better for most purposes, plus a lot cheaper than the Mustang if you like that caliber.JMHO
Baker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts