Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I wear bifocals, and whether or not that's the reason, I have found it difficult to focus on the sights properly when I'm shooting at the range. It seems like either the front or rear sights are always out of focus, no matter how hard I try to concentrate. This morning I was sitting here "fiddling around" with my 345 and stumbled onto a way that *seems* to keep everything in focus. I'll give it a shot when (pun intended) I go to the range again and will then have more to say about it... If it works, and I'm able to keep everything sharply focused for each shot, you can be sure that I'll be smiling wide enough to eat a banana turned sideways! :D

Amistad
'seeking more knowledge in Texas!'

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just now remembered this thread. What I discovered (and what has really improved my shooting skills) is this -- when I angle the muzzle down a little bit so that I cannot see the front sight, and then concentrate on getting the rear sight in line with my point of aim, simply easing the muzzle upwards until I see the front sight lined up with the rear sight is just what the doctor ordered. This works very well for me and I'm happy to have discovered it...

Amistad
'seeking knowledge here and there!'

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Congratulations on finding a better way for you to shoot. If we keep trying and keep an open mind we learn lots of new thing. I learn something new everyday, but I'm afraid I forget more that I learn.:(

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
What was that device???? i'v done a quick search and can't find what i'm thinking about.

It amounted to placing a "peep" on the lens of your glasses and from what i understand it helped eye focus tremondously----just can't find it!!!! Murell???? Was designed with the shooter in mind for the range.

While doing the search i did run across this article though, perhaps this might be of interest:

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/dec96agingeyes.html

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amistad, your rear sight and your target are supposed to be blurry if you are sighting correctly. Concentrate on your front sight and use your peripheral vision line up your rear sight and target. Once on target take a deep breath, let it halfway out and hold it and start your trigger squeeze. When the gun goes off it should surprise you.

This is how the military and most Federal Law Enforcement Agencies teach people how to shoot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As some of us age we find out that our ability to focus on close objects like magazine print and eventually front sights goes away. I good friend of mine who has been shooting for several decades has told me about adjusting the width of the notch in the rear sight. I don't have the meausurements with me now but the idea is:

if your front sight is a bit blurry you can open the rear notch just a couple of thousandths at a time which then helps your eye see the front blade a bit sharper. Of course the more light on each side of the front blade does not help with bullseye accuracy. Notice the difference on target grade guns compared to field grade guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts