Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 45 acp 230 grain fmj with 5.9 grain Unique. I have a couple of questions.

1- The primer didn't seat flush. It's close, but not quite. Will this cause a problem? When seating primers should I just use a little more force? I'm using the primer tool that came with the kit.

2- I have a 4th die for crimping. How do I know if I get a good crimp? I can't tell and am not sure what I should be looking for.

Thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before priming do a visual check of all primer pockets on new brass, on used cases use a primer pocket cleaning tool and clean them all. The primers should then seat flush. On rimless cases the head space is determined by the case length so the dies I use make a tapor crimp, hard to see visually, just need to hold the bullet is tight.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been playing with it and got the next 8 primers to seat flush. I think I was just a little worried I'd set it off. First timer here. :D

I got the crimp working well too. It's a little taper at the end of the brass. Looks good. Like it'll work anyway. :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Only load a few. Make sure they chamber in your pistol (carefuly of course). Buy yourself a case guage to check your rounds with & load away. Reloading is a great hobby! :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
In addition to cleaning the primer pocket, I take a small punch and insert into the flash hole to make sure they are all a uniform size, and at the same time I visually inspect the primer pocket to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I guess maybe I'm fussy.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to cleaning the primer pocket, I take a small punch and insert into the flash hole to make sure they are all a uniform size, and at the same time I visually inspect the primer pocket to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I guess maybe I'm fussy.
Fussy can be a good thing. ;)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
Bountyhunter, Here's a very basic test for primer seating. Set the primed case on a flat hard surface (glass, kitchen counter top, metal plate etc). If the case wobbles when you touch it, the primer is high. If it sits stable, the primer depth is fine.

Buy a Wilson or Dillon case gauge and test each round as you box up your ammo. I guarantee it will save your bacon by preventing a malfunction in your pistol. No matter how careful you are, some cases just don't like to be loaded and will end up with bulges or out of round. These cases will not "chamber" in your case gauge nor will they cycle properly in your pistol. See: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...id/3/_45_ACP_Dillon_Stainless_Steel_Case_Gage

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I always run my finger over the primer as it comes off the shell holder after priming. With a little experience you can easily feel a high primer. If you notice, most factory loaded ammo has primers slightly lower than flush. Just watch that you don't apply so much pressure you cause them to flatten out. It takes an impact on the primers to set them off, so evenly applied pressure to seat a primer in the primer pocket is not going to pop one. If they don't seat correctly, it's usually a dirty primer pocket.
From the pictures you're doing good.
And to check bullet tension, push the nose of the bullet against the bench and if it pushes in easily, you may need to tighten up the crimp.
BTW, you're loading cartridges, the bullet is just the part that leaves via the barrel. When you start casting your own, then you are making bullets,:D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bountyhunter, Here's a very basic test for primer seating. Set the primed case on a flat hard surface (glass, kitchen counter top, metal plate etc). If the case wobbles when you touch it, the primer is high. If it sits stable, the primer depth is fine.

Buy a Wilson or Dillon case gauge and test each round as you box up your ammo. I guarantee it will save your bacon by preventing a malfunction in your pistol. No matter how careful you are, some cases just don't like to be loaded and will end up with bulges or out of round. These cases will not "chamber" in your case gauge nor will they cycle properly in your pistol. See: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co...id/3/_45_ACP_Dillon_Stainless_Steel_Case_Gage

I'll check this out tonight Iowegan. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And to check bullet tension, push the nose of the bullet against the bench and if it pushes in easily, you may need to tighten up the crimp.

BTW, you're loading cartridges, the bullet is just the part that leaves via the barrel. When you start casting your own, then you are making bullets,:D
The bullets seem to be tight. I only had a problem with the first one. The last few I made seem to be ok.

After I posted I wondered who would correct me. I knew it was wrong but didn't feel like changing it. LOL. :D

Thanks Jimbo

·
Registered
219 Posts
BH

Jimbo gave me the same advice when I got high primers on my first batch. Now I check each one using the jimbo-ten-ninety-six method and it has solved the high primer problem. Pressure for seating the primers seems to vary with my Lee. 44s are a piece of cake while the 45s take more effort and attention. 32's brass will pop out of the shell holder if I use the same pressure as the 45s. Each caliber has taken some getting used to to know how much pressure to use.

Have fun at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BH

Jimbo gave me the same advice when I got high primers on my first batch. Now I check each one using the jimbo-ten-ninety-six method and it has solved the high primer problem. Pressure for seating the primers seems to vary with my Lee. 44s are a piece of cake while the 45s take more effort and attention. 32's brass will pop out of the shell holder if I use the same pressure as the 45s. Each caliber has taken some getting used to to know how much pressure to use.

Have fun at the range tomorrow.
Yep not enough pressure. Every one has seated right sinced that first one. I'll post tomorrow and let you all know how they worked out for me. I'm only taking one mag full. :D

Thanks again for the brass! :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
My prediction .... a monster has been created. All it takes is a magazine full of home rolls to get totally addicted to reloading. Next thing you know ... Bounty will be shooting up ammo just so he can reload instead of reloading so he can shoot.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My prediction .... a monster has been created. All it takes is a magazine full of home rolls to get totally addicted to reloading. Next thing you know ... Bounty will be shooting up ammo just so he can reload instead of reloading so he can shoot.

That sounds a lot like me Iowegan. :D

I couldn't find a case gauge tonight at my local gs so I'll have to order one. I did buy a bullet puller though. Looks like it may pay for itself real quick like. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Bountyhunter

When you fire those first few cartridges that YOU made, there will be a lot of satisfaction in knowing that YOU made them. I have now been reloading for over two years now, and can tell you that the feeling never goes away.

Enjoy your new hobby. Always take care when you are reloading, and stay safe.

Gumby

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
How did the range session go! Probably been sitting at the reloading bench every since he got back just cranking out the ammo!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did the range session go! Probably been sitting at the reloading bench every since he got back just cranking out the ammo!

Well, Jimbo, I reloaded a bunch yesterday. Around 30 or so.And instead of just going when I felt like it, I waited for others and they didn't even end up going. :mad: Next weekend I'll be going when I feel like it, and not waiting on anyone. :mad:

I didn't want to load to many until I was sure the ones I made would fire. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
I didn't want to load to many until I was sure the ones I made would fire. :D
Thought that was why you invested in a bullet puller.

BTW: Packed the Mrs off to Cody, Wy yesterday morning and figured since there was no supervision I should go to a gun show in Mesa (AZ). A bunch of good stuff at good prices but I only bought one. Can't talk about it since it isn't a Ruger. If you get an e-mail about being a bad influence, don't worry, just ignore it.

Keep reloading.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.