Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've had my Ruger 22/45 since right after they came out. It's always been a fine pistol. Lately, I discovered some cool mods to perform that can make it a bit better. The first thing I did was the Slingshot mod. As I've gotten into competitive shooting, as well as carrying a weapon for work, I've become accustomed to the slingshot method of reloading. So this is a VAST improvement. Secondly, I just bought the Volquartsen Target Sear. Install was a breeze. It took all of 10 minutes from start to finish, including putting the tools away. What a difference that little $25 part made! I can't wait to go shoot this baby!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now you can replace the mag disconnect with a Sam Lam bushing and those mags will just POP out!
[email protected]
People don't need to spend a dime to get their magazines to 'pop out'.

Sam may be a real nice guy but the mod to make your magazines pop out takes all of 3 minutes if you already have you pistol torn down and a dremel tool.

You simply cut the 'ear' off the disconnect and bingo....done and done. Then to dry fire without inserting a magazine you simply grind smooth the bottom of the disconnect to remove the notch. These 2 mods took me all of 5 minutes...tops.

Still can't understand why people will spend $15 (with shipping) to do a mod that is so easy to do themselves. :confused: There are a number of youtube videos that will walk you through this proceedure so it's nearly impossible to screw it up.....then, if you do, you can go out and buy the bushing to fix the mistake.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have two 22/45's that don't require any mods at all.
Thay work just fine the way they are.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just modded my 22/45 LITE mk.III

These Mods take the Standard 22/45 To a Completely New Level, it is a completely DIFFERENT gun, One word, for the stock 22/45 is Nice.

BUT MODDED it is AWESOME!!!!!
sorry one word does not some it up, STELLAR!! it is that much better, this is the way it should come from the Factory.

Did the following Mods;

1. VQ Accurizing Kit Mk.II target hammer, polished sear, polished trigger plunger, Adjustable Trigger pre-travel and post-travel, This mod Is AWESOME!!!!!!!

2. VQ Hammer Bushing, stock Hammer on Stock bushing is Sloppy, the bushing removes some slop, and lets you Drop Magazines free, and shoot with out a mag loaded.

3. Removed the Loaded Chamber Indicator, and the Flag, this makes for EASY field cleaning and Now i dont get a large amount of Build up of crap in that location it blows out of the gun now Like an exhaust pipe on a car or maybe like a revolver some of the gases blow out between the chamber & Barrel

4. Sling Shot Mod, removed the Bolt close Detent and spring, I like this better, it is easier to release the bolt. and it seems faster to me

These mods are worth every Penny and then some

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Did you install a filler when you removed the LCI?

I have done all of the same mods that you have on my MKIII 22/45 and my MKIII Target except I didn't bother with the LCI on either.

They are smooth, crisp and light. At a current trigger pull of just at 2lbs, they take some getting used to.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wvdave

No I did not put a LCI filler in mine, I left mine open, seems to blow the crap right out of the gun that way, much cleaner

Yes it is a much smoother trigger and the trigger is lighter too, it has become a different gun, it does take a little getting use to, but not much ;)

My mk.II is also very smooth, did some polish work to it.

All Mark series are great guns

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a left handed shooter the 22/45 bolt lock is a PIA. Ruger is notoriously left hand ignorant. We're only 10% of the population plus a few more points for left-eyed people, but other makers accommodate us with ambi or switchable mag releases, safeties, etc. Ruger is very late to the game with this.

I end up twisting the grip in my hand enough to use my trigger finger to pull the lock down when I pull the bolt with my right hand. My MKIII Target does not do this, the "slingshot" is SOP. But it seems to me the 22/45 mod isn't that good either because only gravity causes the lock to drop. A little too much lube in there and it could stay up. I saw that YouTube from Canada with the added spring...I do not trust a Dremel anywhere near my guns.

I'll just keep practicing the method I have. It's sun-optimal but functional.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am one of the guys that could not figure out if i was a Leftie or rightie,

It drives my wife and kids Nutz

So I am a left handed eater.

Right and left handed shooter

I can only hold closed my left eye, But have trained myself to shoot both eyes open and with my right eye, this takes a little practice. But seems to work better when i shoot, as my right eye has the better sight of the two

Bat Right handed

Golf Left handed

Write right handed

·
Registered
185 Posts
Westgl, which is your master eye? Right or Left? It's usually better to shoot a handgun on the same side as your master eye, but it is possible to look across. But to effectively use a long gun with anything other than red-dot I think you need to shoot on the same side, or at least I do.

I write left, my master eye is left, I can employ either to eat if necessary ( and I've got a waistline to prove it!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts