Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consume...ded=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

I've been thinking about it for a while, and finally did it. It should be here in a couple days. I like ordering from Davidsons because every gun you buy from them comes with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty. I know these things aren't the most accurate guns around, but there are several things about this one I like. First, it comes with that nice Hogue Overmolded Stock. I like the feel of them. Another thing is the gun ships with 2, 20 round Ruger Hi-Cap Magazines, which alone can sell for $50.00 a piece, assuming you can find them. Between the stock and the Magazines, the gun is well worth it. Like most all of them it comes with scope rings as well. Last year I bought a Ruger Mark II NRA, Bill Ruger Endowment .22. This will make a nice companion piece. Both NRA Models. Another thing I like is the barrel is 16 1/8" instead of the usual 18" length. It also looks a little heavier where the gas block is attached, but I'm not sure. I'll wait until I get it. This is going to be purely a "fun gun". I don't have any hopes of target grade accuracy with it. Like most all Ruger Mini's, I hope it runs good. When I get it I'm going to the range sometime next week. Hopefully I'll have a good range report on it, with some photo's. These are only going to be available for the balance of this year. With a changing political climate looming on the horizon, I figured I better get it while "the gettin's good", as they say. Bill T.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Congratulations! Give us a report when you shoot her. I have heard a few fellas say the shorter barrel was much more accurate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congratulations! The new mini has to be more accurate than the old ones, you will be happy with it. That is a very nice package. I love that barrel length and with two magazines you can't go wrong. I have been thinking of them myself, but I haven't paid off my last credit card bill from Davidson's yet.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From all indications the barrel is larger in diameter at the gas block, as well as slightly shorter. The biggest issue with these guns in regard to accuracy is Ruger's assembly process when they install the gas block. With the thin barrels it causes slight bending, and or tweaking of the barrel itself. The Target Model Mini 14 has a larger diameter barrel and doesn't have this issue. My guess is Ruger went with the thicker barrel on this model because of the better accuracy results they achieved with the Target Model Mini. This stress that is introduced into the barrel at assembly is the main reason so many Ruger Mini 14's start "walking" the rounds in a vertical, or horizontal line as the barrel heats up. When I get this gun I'll put a caliper on the barrel at the gas block and see just how thick it is. Perhaps one of you guys with a standard Mini could do the same. Then we'll see if this "New Model" is any larger in diameter. Bill T.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ALL new Minis have a larger diameter barrel. This change was mage for "08. I have a stainless synthetic model with the new barrel profile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am very interested in that Rifle. We need to buy my wife a pistol first, then perhaps we can add the NRA Mini 14 too. Not sure how long they will be available, so I am saving hard!
I'd love to hear any reports you have on it Billt. Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked it up yesterday. Hopefully Tuesday I'll pop a few caps with it. I must say from a manufacturing standpoint, the fit, finish, and overall quality seem very good. Ruger has always put together a nice gun. The barrel does seem much more "beefy" than others I've seen on older Mini's. The gun feels and balances well in my hands. Also, this Hogue stock seems to have a little bit longer length of pull in comparison to other Mini's I've handled and shot. I've criticized this rifle in the past as being overly expensive, and far too inaccurate. As far as the expensive part. I think by equipping this gun with the excellent Hogue Overmolded stock, along with providing 2, 20 round magazines, Ruger has much improved the monetary value of this weapon. Like most all Rugers, they use an impressive amount of steel in it's construction. I won't be doing any serious accuracy testing until I get some glass mounted on it. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of a Leupold VX-II 3-9X 40MM. It's a nice size scope with good clarity, that would fit well on this rifle. My only complaint is the $54.00 each they want for extra 20 round magazines as opposed to the $9.99 each for good 30 round AR-15 mags. "No man needs a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds". That is unless they can make $45.00 a pop selling them! It's funny how the "need" increases as the profit margin rises. Bill T.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just curious how you guys that own Mini 14's, and have put a lot of ammo through them, clean your weapons? AR-15's are very easy to strip and clean. Not so with these guns. How far do you disassemble for cleaning?, or do you? Bill T.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The scope is mounted, and she's ready for the range! It's a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40 MM with Mil-Dot Reticle. The rings Ruger shipped with the rifle worked out very well. Just high enough so I can get the lens cover on the front objective. I checked with a set of points and the rings lined up perfectly. I even got the crosshairs straight the first time! A first for me. Tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll see how she prints. Bill T.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Cool. If I bought another one, that is the one I would want, with the Hogue stock and short barrel.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It's a little hard to see with all the crap in the background, but if you look you can see where the barrel is a little shorter, and thicker where it exits the gas block. I'm hoping this will aid accuracy a bit. We shall see. Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the Mil-Dot system. Bill T.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, accuracy is about what I expected. not a lot to get excited about. Function was flawless. I mounted the scope without any bore sighting and it was dead nuts in elevation at 100 yards, and about 6" left. I was zeroed after the third round. That Mil-Dot makes adjustments a snap. The 2 targets pictured represent a good average of the guns performance. Not the best, and not the worst. It seems to settle down after it warms up a bit. Like the idle on my truck. I didn't do any extended rapid fire, but did shoot a couple of 4 shot strings fast on steel gongs at 200 yards, and found them surprisingly easy to hit with the magnification dialed down. The gun handles well, and is very comfortable to mount and shoot quickly. Both 20 round magazines supplied with the gun functioned flawlessly, as did the 5 rounder I bought. All held the action open with the last shot. All 3 magazines inserted and locked into place without any issues, or excessive play. Brass ejection wasn't into the next county as on other Mini's I've seen. It lands about 10 feet to the right, and about 3 feet behind the shooter. None of it showed any denting or crushed case mouths. I really like the Bushnell scope I mounted as much or more than the Leupold VX II's I've got. It is very clear and bright. All total I ran 255 rounds through it. Both handloads and Remington UMC, as well as a couple of boxes of Federal XM-193 Ball. All shot well, and cycled the action without incident. It seemed to like the hotter Federal XM-193, 5.56 load the best. All and all it was a good day at the range with no unpleasant surprises. I wish the accuracy was better, but compared to some Mini 14's I've seen, this one isn't giving me much to complain about. This gun is going to get shot a lot in time to come, and has somewhat changed my mind about the Ruger Mini 14. I would say to anyone intending to purchase one, to get the NRA Edition. I think the thicker, shorter barrel helps a lot. It's not a match rifle, but it's a nice "fun gun". And that's what it's all about anyway. Bill T.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do you know if they are offering this NRA model in the Mini 30 7.62x39? I'm going to start thinking seriously about this model if I see good reports.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That's what I thought. I'm still gonna think real serious about this NRA model. I was contemplating a AR but they aren't really in my price range. Thanks for the report. You sound like you know what your doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been looking into getting a new Mini-14 as well, the larger diameter barrel, protected front sight, and especially better accuracy grabs me. Since I'm in the People's State of Kalifornia, AR's are taboo and the ones that are CA legal are neutered (fixed magazine). Off-list lower receivers are said to be legal, but you have to configure them still into a fixed magazine. All in all, this is a potential of inviting potential problems from a AR-gun phobic CA DOJ, and I've heard of guys running into legal problems from politically ambitious DA's. I think I'll go with the Mini and avoid issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the feel of that hogue stock, I might buy one to use on my mini-14 when it goes in the woods. Just to keep the wood stock from getting banged up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts