Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my new vaquero, but I have seen on various forums that the 357 round is much tougher on this guns frame than the 45 LC, is this true?

I will only be shooting factory loads and no +P

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I might be wrong, but I've understood that it was the other way around. IF you worked up a serious 45 LC round, it would impact the frame of the gun moreso than a 357.

IF you were shooting factory loads or moderate reloads, then both sized rounds would allow your New Vaquero to live a long, happy life.

My understanding is that is why the Vaquero-sized (heavier than the New Vaquero) frame was preferred for the big boomers. I've got the .357 Vaquero and found this interesting but since it's not a 45 LC, wasn't fully invested researching it further. I'm sure someone will chime in with more/more correct info.

Enjoy that New Vaquero!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can the New Vaquero handle modern 357 hollow points like the Hornady critical defense?

I'm going to use this pistol as my backup house gun, but will mostly be target shooting with 38.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The New Vaquero is .357 is a very strong handgun and will handle any commercially produced .357 ammunition with ease. It is heavier built than any GP100 or S&W 686 double action .357. Many writers have opined that the New Vaquero is perfectly sized to the .357 round and the larger-framed Vaquero was over-sized for that cartridge. Don't worry about your gun with any load you buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The 357 New Vaquero is the same medium frame (other than fixed sights) that Ruger started with back in '55. If will handle anything you throw at it. You will have NO, NONE, NOTTA worry about shooting .357 hot, medium, mild in it. Just because the CAS crowd uses powder puff loads ... doesn't mean the gun is weak!

As for .45 Colt, the New Vaquero will handle what Brian Pearce calls Tier 2 loads (20,000psi). Just can't shoot Tier 3 which is Ruger Only Loads (30,000psi).... Again not a 'weak' revolver. Tier 1 is standard SAAMI loads (14,000psi) for those 'old', 'old' revolvers still out there. No worry! Brian Pearce .45 Colt PDF

·
Banned
402 Posts
The 357 New Vaquero is the same medium frame (other than fixed sights) that Ruger started with back in '55. If will handle anything you throw at it. You will have NO, NONE, NOTTA worry about shooting .357 hot, medium, mild in it. Just because the CAS crowd uses powder puff loads ... doesn't mean the gun is weak!

As for .45 Colt, the New Vaquero will handle what Brian Pearce calls Tier 2 loads (20,000psi). Just can't shoot Tier 3 which is Ruger Only Loads (30,000psi).... Again not a 'weak' revolver. Tier 1 is standard SAAMI loads (14,000psi) for those 'old', 'old' revolvers still out there. No worry! Brian Pearce .45 Colt PDF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts