Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you know this is my 4th new Ruger this year! Back in early spring it was the SR-40...Then came the LCP then in June a 22/45MKIII nice gun but the mag release made using the gun a pain!! I sure hope Ruger finds a better design for this issue! But today I found a new SR-22 at the gun shop I've shopped for years. Went right from the shop to the range, after I switched out the grip for the larger one, and installed the magazine floor plate for the ones with the finger extension. and put 90 rds. through it with zero problems. What a great gun this SR-22 is, and plenty accurate too. I can't wait to install a laser on the rail and really dial it in. For a while I was contemplating selling the 22/45 but when my son visits we would have to trade off when shooting. Now we'll be drawing straws to see who gets the SR-22. At just over 330.00 with tax I was quite happy with today's purchase!!;)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Congratulations on the new SR22. I like mine very much but I wouldn't want to give up my MKIII 22/45. What ammo were you using?

I did the VQ trigger mod on my 22/45 and did away away with the mag disconnect.

Enjoy it and report back often.

·
Registered
549 Posts
CONGRATS on your new SR22, I agree with your post, I bought one about a month ago and it has been fantastic. Have put 1605 rds thru to date with no problems..ENJOY..

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Congrats on the new toy! A friend of mine bought one of those last spring and I've had the opportunity to shoot it on more than one occasion...and I loved it! It's a great shooter!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Congrats on your new Ruger SR22! Good luck with it & happy shootin' ;)

I have one of those on my "gotta have" list, heard lots of good stuff about 'em

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The ammo used was Remington golden bullet.
Try Federal bulk ammo I find it's cleaner and alot lot less fail to fires. I started with the Remingtons but no longer buy them. Enjoy your SR22 I have two they're great little plinkers. Both of mine have about 2500 rds thru them with no problems.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I buy whatever is on sale at the time I need them. I've used the Federal ammo before and liked it but at the time the Remington were less money.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats on the new SR22....I got mine in september and have put 1080 rds through it so far...I too, like others here, shoot whatever happens to be on sale at the time....so far I have used the winchester white box and the wally world federal value pack....of the two, I like the federal better........I had about four or five fail to feeds with the winchester white box ammo and only one with the federal value pack......Love this gun!!! really happy with the purchase as you mentioned you are.....:)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,968 Posts
I just bought a SR-22 yesterday at a gun show. The dealer had a "show special" .... a SR-22 and a Ruger pocket knife for $289+tax. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it looks like a fun gun. I did install the fat grip ... quite a chore but it finally came loose. I also installed the magazine feet. If this little 22 shoots as good as it looks ... I'll be plum tickled.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buy a BAM bushing for the 22/45, there about $15 bucks. It fills the space were the mag safety spring sits and takes up some slop in the hammer improving the trigger, but the biggest benefit is your mags will fall out, no more using your finger nails to pry them out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! I just shot mine today for the first time and I'm very impress with the accuracy and just plain fun to shoot.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I just bought a SR-22 yesterday at a gun show. The dealer had a "show special" .... a SR-22 and a Ruger pocket knife for $289+tax. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it looks like a fun gun. I did install the fat grip ... quite a chore but it finally came loose. I also installed the magazine feet. If this little 22 shoots as good as it looks ... I'll be plum tickled.
Let us know what you think. Mine is on a strict diet of the Federal bulk .22
(36gr copper-plated hollow point) Never any problems, so I don't ever try anything else.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats on your SR22, you're going to enjoy it. Son and I bought ours last February at the local gun show. We enjoy shooting them. He has over 3K rounds thru his, I'm under 1K. Last month I also purchased my 4th new Ruger this year, probably the last one for a while since I'm retired.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,968 Posts
Kenny Lee, This thread is about SR-22s not MK IIIs.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I see that there is now an affter market take down lever for the SR22's suposedto be alot stronger then the oem one . $19.95 from Twin tech Tactical. They also have threaded barrels for the SR22's.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys as far as trying the bushing for the 2245 I ordered it (A Sams bushing) from a guy up in Ontario Canada. I then tried to install it with no luck! I even went so far as to send it off to 2 different gunsmiths, they both told me the same thing the part simply wont work after trying to install it!! I e-mailed Sam and he's sending me a refund. I will have to learn to live with the stock gun. Like everyone here I just hat the way the mags work in the 2245MKIII!! You can bet if I new they were so much of a pain I would have bought a Browning Buckmark instead!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I (we) have both a SR22P, and a Mark III 22/45 Lite.

Both are excellent. They let us practice with cheap .22LR ammo, rather than the more expensive stuff for our HD guns.

(.38 snubby for her, .45 Auto for me)

She shoots the SR22P more accurately. For me, its the 22/45. We both thoroughly enjoy both guns though.

Duane

1 - 20 of 24 Posts