Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new stainless steel P95 9mm and found this site when I was searching google for a few things. Found out the loose barrel is normal when the slide it back, and my 1st round shooting FTE's were probably due to my "limp wristing".

Been looking for a good cleaning kit too since I have nothing. Been seeing alot of good things about froglube, and found some kits on ebay for decent prices. What are you guys recommended for cleaner and lube?

Last question is I've found alot of post about using FMJ non-hollow rounds to break in the weapon. Thats what I'm using, but how many rounds is normal for "break in"

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Just picked up a new stainless steel P95 9mm and found this site when I was searching google for a few things. Found out the loose barrel is normal when the slide it back, and my 1st round shooting FTE's were probably due to my "limp wristing".

Been looking for a good cleaning kit too since I have nothing. Been seeing alot of good things about froglube, and found some kits on ebay for decent prices. What are you guys recommended for cleaner and lube?

Last question is I've found alot of post about using FMJ non-hollow rounds to break in the weapon. Thats what I'm using, but how many rounds is normal for "break in"
Congratulations!

There are many great cleaning products out there. Froglube has been getting great reviews. Lots of folks here like Ballistol, too. You can't go wrong with good old Hoppes No. 9 either.

You don't need much to keep a pistol clean. A bore brush, some patches, Qtips, old toothbrush, maybe a bore snake. I suggest watching Hickok45 cleaning a Glock on youtube.

Break in? Maybe try hp ammo after 200 rounds? P95 is not reputed to be picky about ammo.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hello and welcome from SW Florida. Lot of Frog Lube threads - read up on 'em and decide for yourself if you want to go that direction. Some guys love the stuff, others not so much.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Welcome from central Kansas. There have also been a few reviews on Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum. Enjoy the P95. My granddad a P85 will be proud. Plus one for frog lube.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into some of those cleaning products. I've been all over youtube. Pretty sure I watched the one mentioned with the glock.

·
Super Moderator
16,248 Posts

SL2000 ... First of all welcome to the forum & congrats on your new P95. Secondly, in answer to your questions:
1. I've had excellent success with WeaponSheild as an all in one cleaner & lubricant (CLP)
2. While the P95 isn't picky about ammo and is most often reliable out of the box with very little break in, FMJ ammo should be the steady diet for practice (due to lower cost) with JHP used on a more limited basis if you are going to use the P95 for home defense or concealed carry.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome from Tn. I use Kleenbore Kits and Break Free clp. I like to shoot 100 rounds clean and oil 100 more rounds then clean with a very light oiling. Just remember to shoot a few rounds after you oil one to clean the rifling of oil because an oily barrel will hurt your accuracy.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
howdy and welcome from middle Dixie.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Welcome aboard! I applaud your choice in handguns.

Opinions on cleaning solvents, tools, and lubricants vary. All I can tell you is what I keep on hand.

Outer's Cleaning Kit: Rod, brush, patch holder tip, jag, and patches. Can't go wrong with the basics.

Hoppes No.9 Solvent: The quickest way to remove fouling from everywhere. Just don't use it on the polymer frame.

Hoppes Copper Solvent: I don't use it often. Clean bore. Run patch with copper solvent. Wait 24 hours. Run patches.

Ballistol: Cleaner & lubricant all in one. Non toxic. It does require more dwell time to loosen fouling. As I keep on using it, it seasons the bore making subsequent cleanings easier.

A cheap, firm bristle toothbrush.

Since I started using Ballistol, I don't use either Hoppes products that often.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.