Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So, I just picked up a new 77/357 to be the 'big brother' to my 6" ss GP100 and I have to say, I love handling this little rifle. As I have yet to break it down, clean it up proper and head to the range (long overdue in general), I'd like to ask a few questions from people that already have one.

1: As this is the first model 77 in the stable, is there anything special that I should be on the lookout for or work on? I am mostly referring to the bolt and barrel, I think the trigger is just fine at the moment.

2: As I don't reload, what factory ammunition have you all found to work well with the 77/357? Out to about what distance?

Specifically, I've actually started looking at Double Tap's 158gr JHP @ 1,540 fps from a 6" 686 and am wondering how much more pumped up it is out of the 18.5" barrel, and about how far out it is accurate. I only hunt paper and metal, so there's nothing to worry about as far as humanely killing such and such animal. I understand that 100yds is the accepted 'norm' for accuracy out of this rifle, but was just wanting to try and reach out a bit farther, like 125-150 yds in favorable conditions, while maintaining a flat(ter) trajectory (don't want to have to artillery fire it).

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle, enjoy.
Post up a pic.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies!

@James6591: It's still stock at the moment, so no pictures yet, the goodies for it should all be here this week though.

@bgreid: I believe that 150 yds for paper and steel targets is reasonable as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Congratulations on the new gun. Mine has never seened factpry loads so I can't answer you that question. Mine seems to be very picky on my reloads. I've had the best luck with 140 g milder loads, 3.9 g clays with LFP and 10.8 g 2400 with XTP. Both loads group about 1 inch at 50 yards, my usual distance. The only issue I've had with the gun is screw holding the stock on came from the factory so tight I have not been able to loosen it. A previous post mentioned having some luck by loosening the tension. With a proper sized screwdriver I just rounded the head of the screw a bit. I'm just lving with at this point.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Out of the box mine grouped good at 50 yards. At 100 yards the groups opened up to around 8". I replaced the 11 lb trigger with a Rifle Basix and the groups shrank considerably. I can't even imagine what 150 yards would be like.

Research the trigger work on this rifle as there are cheaper alternatives to the Rifle Basix.

The only factory ammo I shot was one box of Federal 158 gr SJSP and it did good. My best 100 yard groups were reloads using 158 gr Remington SJSP with 16.3 gr H110. My one best group I was actually happy with.

The 18.5" barrel soups up the .357 round (approx 300-400 fps) over a 6" revolver.

Just to give you an idea of how I feel about the accuracy I removed the Leupold 3X9X40 from the 77/357 and installed the 4X32AO scope off my air rifle. That's all the 77/357 needs. (To be fair my air rifle cost a little more than the 77/357 and is way more accurate at 50 yards.)

I consider the 77/357 a nice gun to carry in the woods with iron sights but not to the range expecting anything remotely close to match grade accuracy at 100 yards or beyond.

I hope yours is better.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
My 77/357 has always liked 180 grain bullets driven fast enough I will not list the loads but for mine the more velocity the better.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for the continued replies!

@mnh2obuff: Thank you for the heads up. I will definately check to see if mine is torqued to death as well.

@scooter .maclusky: I understand completely about the optics and actually have a Skinner barrel mount peep/aperture sight on the way to replace the flip up flat top and just rolling with that. I only mention 150yds in the context of hitting an 8" circular steel target reliably without aiming at the sun, not trying to outgroup .22-250 at 150+yds.

@bwinters: I might give Buffalo Bore's heavy 180gr rounds a shot, I just would like to stick with something that's got jacketed lead (while I can).

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The only issue I've had with the gun is screw holding the stock on came from the factory so tight I have not been able to loosen it.
Ruger has one manly man tightening those screws, and that is a fact. I set my 77/357 & 77/44 in my bench mounted gun cradle, upside down. And with a 18volt cordless, using a low speed setting, I cracked it loose with a bit that fit closely, and to the bottom of the screw. It worked perfectly without turning out and scrounging the screw head.

I didn't go with a upscale sear or trigger, but I did polish the contact surfaces with a fine grade of emory, and installed a lower tension Wolf trigger spring. I also relieved the fore end tension with a dowel and sandpaper. It totally eliminated vertical stringing. End result is that it shoots 1.25"-1.50" at 100yds with bullets ranging 125gr-180gr. But as noted, the load needs to be "just right". The 110gr bullets look good at 50yds, but open quickly past that. I bought a pile of Remington component bullets earlier this year, in 125/140/158/180gr weights. They all shoot well. The best bullet is the 170gr Speer Deep Curl, but good luck finding any. My all time favorite jacketed bullet for the .357 is the 158gr Sierra. It feeds poorly from the four magazines I have. :confused: The Remington bullets lack exotic features, but work really well. Can't decide on a best. The 140gr HP might be the most versatile, but a 158gr FP/HP would be my choice if I ran outa' venison.

If playing with bullets is a hobby, get a spread. They will not shoot to the same point of impact by several inches. If you want consistent performance, get one bullet and load away. I have a Trail Boss load with a 140gr Hornady Cowboy that shoots well out to 75yds or so, but I have had minimal luck with other low power/ low noise loads so far.

My 77/357 shoots best with loads that are screamin'. I hate loads like that in a handgun, especially my SP101.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@TMan51: Thank you for the additional info! I've yet to attempt to give that screw a try, and am less inclined to do so now after my 'Bubba fix' stupid rear sight reaplacement, but it is definately good to know that I'll need a truly snug fitting bit for it and some muscle as both you and mnh2obuff pointed out.

I'm actually happy with the trigger as is, probably because I'm used to shooting my GP100 DA though.

As for going with a spread of ammo, I'd like to, but as I've just replaced the rear sight with a Skinner aperture sight, without a scope I think going with just one type of ammo for now might be the wiser decision to try and keep a constant while zeroing it in. Then I'll see how well it works with others.

That, or I'll cave in and get that Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 I've been looking at...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Ruger has one manly man tightening those screws, and that is a fact. I set my 77/357 & 77/44 in my bench mounted gun cradle, upside down. And with a 18volt cordless, using a low speed setting, I cracked it loose with a bit that fit closely, and to the bottom of the screw. It worked perfectly without turning out and scrounging the screw head.
God, tell me about it. What the hell did they use to tighten that screw? Good lord it feels like they used the red lock-tight on that sucker.

·
Registered
965 Posts
here's what kinda lousy results to expect @ 100 yds

shot today at 100 yards; Made these last night, 12.9 gr AA#9, Zero bullet 158 gr SJSP, Win case fired 4X's 1.28", CCI SP primer, col 1.58. Not a screamer like my H110 loads but no slouch either. 4X scope at bench with front rest. Those darn flyers really ruin my day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts