Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...
I just purchased an AR-556 and have a few questions. I am a newb to the AR platform. I have been an SKS owner for quite a while and am very familiar with it/invested in the 7.62x39 caliber. I have been thinking of getting an AR for a while now and with Ruger making the AR-556 and hearing all the great reviews I was sold. Anyhow my first question is.....is it normal for the buttstock to have some play in it where it meets the lower receiver at the extension nut? I know the adjustable part will have some play in it but if I grab the round part of the buttstock with my hand where it meets the receiver and try try rotate it...it will move slightly back and forth (as in clockwise/counterclockwise). The nut seemed a tad loose out of the box and I was able to turn it a bit to hand tight. Is that amount of play (after turning the nut to hand tight) normal or too loose? Second...I noticed that the little piece on the trigger guard that is held in place with the 2 pins, once again, has a small amount of play in it...it has a small amount of wiggle to it. Normal or no? Lastly....the rifle has a fair amount of oil on it and inside the upper receiver area. Do I need to wipe this off/out or is the rifle go to go right out of the box. I apologize for the long post and if the questions are simplistic but, as I said, I am new to the AR platform and want to make sure all is good wife my new rifle.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new Ruger.

1. Your castle nut is loose and needs to be tightened.*

2. The thick oily stuff Ruger packed your rifle with is a preservative, not a lubricant. It's wise to clean all that stuff off before going to the range.

*If you don't plan on changing your buffer tube any time soon, it's a good idea to secure the nut either with thread locker, or even by staking it with a hammer and punch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Am I correct in saying the castle nut is what the manual refers to as the receiver extension nut? It is currently as tight as I can get it by hand. Do I need a tool to tighten it further and is it possible to over tighten it (within reason of course...I'm not going to turn it with the force of godzilla)?

Thanks again,
Jim

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Am I correct in saying the castle nut is what the manual refers to as the receiver extension nut? It is currently as tight as I can get it by hand. Do I need a tool to tighten it further and is it possible to over tighten it (within reason of course...I'm not going to turn it with the force of godzilla)?

Thanks again,
Jim
You can buy a castle nut wrench, either a dedicated one, or as part of an AR armorers wrench. If you don't want to buy one, and are reasonably handy, there are other ways to skin a cat. You can wrap the castle nut in a rag and carefully tighten it using a pipe wrench. Or, use a large flat bladed screwdriver. Place the blade in on of the indentations on the nut, and carefully tap the handle end of the screwdriver with a hammer until the nut is tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The thought you suggested about using a towel and a pair of pliers did cross my mind but I'd rather just buy an AR armor's tool and do it right. Whats spending a few $ on the correct tool after spending the $ on the rifle. When I first tightened the nut I by hand...I initially turned the wrong way loosened it a tad. I noticed the end plate backed out a bit until I tightened it back up. It appears as though there is a spring behind it. If I ever loosen that nut all the way do I need to be aware of a spring coming flying out?

Jim

P.S.-Thanks for the welcomes BTW

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks. The thought you suggested about using a towel and a pair of pliers did cross my mind but I'd rather just buy an AR armor's tool and do it right. Whats spending a few $ on the correct tool after spending the $ on the rifle. When I first tightened the nut I by hand...I initially turned the wrong way loosened it a tad. I noticed the end plate backed out a bit until I tightened it back up. It appears as though there is a spring behind it. If I ever loosen that nut all the way do I need to be aware of a spring coming flying out?

Jim

P.S.-Thanks for the welcomes BTW
I think there is a small spring behind the end plate. So holding the end plate while you loosen that castle nut.

I'm new to AR too and just try to learn as much as I can. Congrats on your new purchased.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You may want to stake the castle nut as well. This prevents the but from backing out. Very simple and YouTube has videos showing how to do it. Some loctite on the threads would even help... Just to keep it in place.

Your trigger guard is fine. It's normal to have some play in that part.

Enjoy your rifle!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats in your new purchase Ruger AR-556! Same here, I'm a big time noob! but these forums are very helpful.

wIZeMan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your trigger guard is fine. It's normal to have some play in that part.

Enjoy your rifle!
Awesome. Thanks. I sooo can't wait to take it out and shoot it. My uncle is going to be visiting over the holidays and we'll head out to my inlaw's farm to have some fun with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts