Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for the basic pistol/concealed carry course at the NRA range. They were full for May so I'm in June (but first on the waiting list if someone cancels for May).

I wanted to just get professional training with my new handgun (I'm comfortable around rifles and shotguns, but handguns are new to me). I didn't realize until I signed up that the certificate I get with this class is all I need to apply for the permit with my county courthouse.

I in no way think that this course is adequate in training me to carry, but it is the first step. I will probably apply for the permit to have it, doesn't mean I have to use it.

This class is four hours of classroom the first day - 'safety, fundamentals of shooting, citizenship responsibility.' Next night is one hour of one on one shooting instruction.

They say to bring the gun that you intend to carry, and the woman I signed up with said most people have semi-autos. I have my new GP100 revolver and that's it. Probably not an ideal carry weapon anyway, but I do want to be trained with it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Have it...use it...buy more guns...and holsters....and speedloaders...and ammo...why should you be any different than the rest of us....you're hooked!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I my state, Arkansas, if you get your permit using a revolver, that is all you'll be able to carry... If you qualify using a semi-auto you can carry either. If you paln on getting a semi-auto within the terms of your permit, you may want to borrow a semi-auto for the qualification... However you state laws covering CCW may be different... I'd check if I were you...

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good point, and I certainly have access to a semi auto I can borrow. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Do people ever use revolvers as their carry guns? Or are they just too bulky and don't hold enough rounds?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When I'm not carrying my P90, I carry a S&W M65 3" .357 6 shot and a S&W M649 2' .38 with 2 speed strips on belt, 2 in pocket, and 2 speed loaders...45 rounds total...too bulky? Nah...it's like rolls of $20 bills...worth the trouble to carry...now I don't know what "people" do......

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
At least I have the option... "Big Ol' Semi" when CCW is under loose clothing... or my Wife's SP101 when clothes are tight...:D

·
Registered
576 Posts
If straight guys carried purses like our wives do, we could have a half a dozen carry guns with us. Then we could pick the caliber that we needed as the bad guy was coming to do us in. Just kidding...I've been up all nite...need sleep to get my brain working again. Donuts in a little while!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ron Honner

If straight guys carried purses like our wives do, we could have a half a dozen carry guns with us. Then we could pick the caliber that we needed as the bad guy was coming to do us in. Just kidding...I've been up all nite...need sleep to get my brain working again. Donuts in a little while!
You may have something there. It might be worth looking a little "thweet" just so I could carry 2 .45 autos, and about 6 extra mags!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts