Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've said before, I'm an unabashed Cold Steel fan. I keep thinking about buying one of their nifty-looking tomahawks. Here's the problem, though: I don't go camping. I haven't hunted in years. While I certainly WANT one, I can't really say that I NEED one. So, help me out here, y'all: How do I justify the purchase of a tomahawk to my dubious wife? Give me some great excuses!! All replies most appreciated!:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Tell her it would be handy in the kitchen. Being a "collector" works till you become a "hoarder".

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
This is how it goes:

"Honey, there's this tomahawk I want. But before you say, "No," imagine this: It's late at night and we're all tucked in catching a movie before bed. Suddenly, there's a ruckus in the yard and a man breaks in the back door. I come out screaming with my tomahawk raised high. This dude thinks I'm a complete freak and bolts, never to return."

This is when she'll look at you with "that look" and you just say this, "Honey, if you were breaking into someone's house and their husband came out screaming in his boxers, wielding a tomahawk and slashing it about, you'd run for the hills because surely that guy is nuts and you don't want to be anywhere NEAR him when he goes off with that thing."

Either that or just bring her home something nice along with the tomahawk. It's getting to be autumn. Maybe say you bought it to chop fire wood?

My final suggestion is just to buy it and keep it low-key. Then, in a few months, take it out to sharpen it and when she notices it (and she will because women have a 6th sense about these things), just say, "Oh, that old thing? Eh, I've had it a while."

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Y'all are some sneaky individuals.....;)

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I've got one other scenario for you and then I'm done...

You're out in the back yard with it. She comes out and says, "What's that axe you're using?" You say, "Oh this?" Then chuck it so it sticks solidly into a tree (sticking solidly into a tree is crucial here) and say (confidently), "It's just a little tomahawk I picked up." She'll be so put off by the fact that you just chucked a tomahawk and seated it firmly into her English Maple that she won't argue it.

This one CAN'T fail. Unless you booger up the throw and it bounces off awkwardly. Then you're like the kid from A Christmas Story ("Don't shoot your eye out!") and she'll be worried that you'll lose a foot, or worse, miss the tree and hit the cat, and take it away from you.

That's when scenario one comes in. Grab it, strip down to your underwear and run around screaming with it so she'll think you're nuts and leave you alone. With the tomahawk.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Maybe you could tell her it's part of your PD required gear. :D

For some reason I have always wanted one too. Never know when you might need it. My son would probably end up confiscating it though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wrap it in a bunch of wild flowers and give them to her. When she sees the tomahawk say "well look at that, I knew these where wild flowers but wow". Are you gonna keep that or can I have it?

If your wife is like mine there is no way of making her understand why you want a tomahawk. She will just roll her eyes and think you are an idiot, at least mine would. You might have an easier time talking your self out of it than her into it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It would be a handy melee weapon for when the zombies rise.............. :)

On a serious note, I am a camper and hunter and a good tomahawk or hatchet are handy to have around for me. I can't really tell you how to justify it for you though if you don't spend a lot of time outdoors.

On a practical note, the Cold Steel hawks are nice, I have two of the Norse Hawk versions. But.........They tend to stay hanging in the shop in favor of the SOG Fasthawk that stays clipped to my pack. It's lighter, shorter, sharper, and generally more useful than the Cold Steel Norse hawks I have. The Norse hawks fly nice if you ever take up Tomahawk throwing :).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Have two and think everyone should have a least one. I have given them as gifts numerous times. Yea, my wife thinks it is a little weird too, but she is a good sport about it!

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Can't you just get it and put it in the workshop/garage/shed with the other "outdoor tools"? I know my GF probably wouldn't notice if I did that. She's always asking me stuff like, "Hey, do we have a really big wrench?", or "Oh, I thought we already HAD a (supply tool name)."

What have you got to lose? (Besides a few fingers or toes or worse.)

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Clearly you have a branding problem here, it is not a tomahawk, but rather an emergency egress tool, especially useful for exiting a vehicle that is sinking in water or busting out a window to escape a home fire. If the window is blocked then this tool will let you cut an escape hole through your typical sheetrock walls. It's so useful that every vehicle should have one and at least two at home as well. Tomahawks are toys but an emergency egress tool is important for every family's safety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy it, decide to tell her or not, what's she going to do when you've already spent the money? If you can afford it then go ahead. We're all children at heart, boys and girl gotta have their toys, I'm sure she buys things she wants but doesn't need :p

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buy it, decide to tell her or not, what's she going to do when you've already spent the money? If you can afford it then go ahead. We're all children at heart, boys and girl gotta have their toys, I'm sure she buys things she wants but doesn't need :p
In other words...forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission! Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're a good man! Best not for something to come back and bite you in the butt. If you two aren't struggling to make ends meet then it should be fine if you have spending room :] maybe inform her ahead of time if it affects your alls budget

1 - 20 of 34 Posts