Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HB 2528 modified the law to read:

Allows concealed carry licensees to take their loaded weapons off of their person while they are traveling in their vehicles and not be subject to local ordinances or resolutions regarding the open carry or unlawful transportation of firearms.

With no requirement for vehicle occupancy, the changes made allows concealed carry licensees to leave their weapon, loaded or unloaded, in their vehicle.

Business owners, (both public and private) may continue to post their buildings to restrict the concealed carry of firearms, but parking lots are no longer allowed to be posted.

Cities and counties may continue to post their buildings, but parks, greenways, etc., are no longer allowed to be posted.

Employers, both public and private, may continue to restrict a licensed employee's ability to carry concealed while they are performing the duties of their employ, but licensed employees are allowed to store their firearm in their private means of conveyance, even if parked on company property.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd like to get a copy to forward to our Legislators...good points there, and our bill never made it out of committee this year...hopefully next time...it's just common sense...OK, so the cowboy can't wear his gun in the saloon...but it's nobody's business what's in his saddlebags outside on his horse...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well now, that's really interesting. There are a couple big shopping malls in Wichita that have signs at the edges of the property, stating that no weapons are allowed on the property. Wonder how long they'll stay there. I tend to avoid those places proudly displaying 'suicide signs' anyway, but I may have to park mine in the truck and go in and ask questions. My niece, coincidently, is LEO in Wichita and is part of a community action team, working out of the West one of these malls, she related a story about a gang member threatening a rival gang member, with a gun, inside the mall a month or so ago. I guess those signs really work.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
431 Posts
AS a matter of fact, the one with the gun was a 'Los Vatos', but isn't everything in Spanish too, these days.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Me too sheepdog, just makes since to have it like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Kim

...........Well now, that's really interesting. There are a couple big shopping malls in Wichita that have signs at the edges of the property, stating that no weapons are allowed on the property. Wonder how long they'll stay there............
Yes, but you're talking about Wichita. It's just my experience, but it seems that Wichita is the most posted city in the State. I'm in Johnson County and it seems that we have far fewer posted businesses here.

Bob

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can't argue that. I don't live in Wichita anymore, but I still go up there once a week or so. Doesn't make me understand the mentality that believes a sign will stop someone from doing violence though. The small town I live in has a few self righteous nitwits who put up those stupid signs. I just stay out of those places.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
28 Posts

I can't argue that. I don't live in Wichita anymore, but I still go up there once a week or so. Doesn't make me understand the mentality that believes a sign will stop someone from doing violence though. The small town I live in has a few self righteous nitwits who put up those stupid signs. I just stay out of those places.

Molon Labe

Kim
Agreed. Since the CCW law went into effect, I think Wichita has had at least two bank robberies and, in both cases, the banks had gun buster signs up. I'd love to ask them how well is the sign working for you?

But maybe it's all the newness of it. I've heard people say that a year or two from now, the majority of the gun-buster signs will have disappeared.

Bob

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hope so...that's the way it's gone in this part of Tx...it's good to tell them they're losing your business...it's good to ask them how well it's working when they have problems...CCW is one of the biggest crime deterrents today...it keeps 'em guessing...a no guns sign just seems like an engraved invitation for thugs....I've seen a local bank with a no guns wannabe sign and another that says "Police officer on duty at all times"....that's a lie...and anyone going in there to scope it out sees it's so...the mentality of some so-called smart people astounds me....there, I feel all better now;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I guess I didn't know about the bank robberies, but so far, they've had 30 homocides, which is ove the 26 they had total for last year. If you can tell me which banks they were, I will go ask.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
28 Posts

I guess I didn't know about the bank robberies, but so far, they've had 30 homicides, which is over the 26 they had total for last year. If you can tell me which banks they were, I will go ask.

Molon Labe

Kim
I don't recall the names. I was told this by another bank President down there, who also has a gun buster sign at his bank. I should have quizzed him about it but I have a need to be diplomatic with him, so I didn't.

But I have seen regular stories about all the shootings there. It seems that a lot of it is gang related. But a lot is also just plain ol' people shooting people.

Bob

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only parking lot that I have seen in Topeka that is posted is West Ridge Mall (A Simon managed mall). I sent them an email, but did not receive a reply and as far as I know it is still posted. Businesses that are posted include the 2 movie theatre complexes and a Price Chopper grocery store. In general, all medical facilities, State, County and City buildings and banks are posted also. Not too many private businesses here have signs. K-Mart did for about a month, but took it down.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It doesn't matter what sign is in the parking lot the way I learned it from my CCW class. You may have it in your vehicle loaded and unconcealed if you so wish.

No way I would go to Wichita unarmed.

tk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well TK, neither will I. When I got my CCW license was the first time I was truly comfortable since I turned in my M16. My 1911 is like a MasterCard, I never leave home without it.

"Gun Buster", I like that.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

It doesn't matter what sign is in the parking lot the way I learned it from my CCW class. You may have it in your vehicle loaded and unconcealed if you so wish.

No way I would go to Wichita unarmed.

tk
When the law first passed in 2006 and became effective 1/1/07, that was not the case. It has since been amended.

+1 on not going to Wickedta unarmed. (Or Topeka either, for that matter.)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quote:Originally posted by tkarter

I am still waiting on the AG to issue mine. Dang it.
tk
It's the old watched pot never boils thing. I started my CCW process in the middle of last year, but they didn't issue any permits until Jan 2nd. I was beginning to think I would never get mine.[V]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts