Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a guy come in last night with a nasty injury to his right eye. Once I got the blood washed out of the eye and got the eyelids opened, I could see that the cornea was intact, but that there was blood behind it. Time to call the ophthalmologist! While we were waiting for her to come in from home, I asked how the injury had occurred.

The problem started with a balky AR-15; it was "short-cycling" (his words) and not picking up a new round from the magazine. So, he "opened it up" and field stripped the bolt. Finding nothing obviously wrong, he decided to get a closer look at the buffer spring. He pressed down the buffer retainer, but it was stiff and he couldn't depress it enough to release the buffer. He bent a piece of heavy steel wire and used that to push down the retainer; it worked, but now the buffer was jammed by the wire.

Frustrated by all this, the man yanked on the wire, pulling it free. The buffer, no longer jammed by the wire, came rocketing out. Somehow, in all the struggling and swearing, the man's eye was in line with the trajectory of the buffer (and spring) and he was smacked hard right in the eye.

Now, I've seen a few guys (and one "gal") hit in the eye with a 1911 recoil spring and cap, but this was my first case of eye injury from an AR-15 buffer. This is why I always wear eye protection I'm working on my guns.

Jim

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Good advice! Thanks for posting. I, (we), really enjoy all of your posts from the ER! Keep 'em coming.

·
Banned
365 Posts
I have always heard the phrase "Keep your eye on those things", but I have always worn eye protection when flying things or dangerous chemicals are involved. I saw someone lose their sight in one eye from something similar to this. And chemical burns to the face are not something I want to experience either.

Thanks again for these type posts, Jim. It is much easier to learn from the mistakes of others.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have always heard the phrase "Keep your eye on those things", but I have always worn eye protection when flying things or dangerous chemicals are involved. I saw someone lose their sight in one eye from something similar to this. And chemical burns to the face are not something I want to experience either.

Thanks again for these type posts, Jim. It is much easier to learn from the mistakes of others.
And safer too. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Learned the hard way. Back in 84 cleaning my 1911. A full length guide rod plug slipped out of the bushing wrench and got me in the corner of my left eye. No permanent damage,
but a lesson learned the hard way. My wife at the time called me a idiot all the way to the ER.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you slap him upside his head and say "dumb azz":rolleyes:
No need. This was what we used to call a "self-critiquing mistake" in the Army; his own pain was telling him he'd screwed up.

Jim

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
more good advice is sometimes we get there faster if we slow down. the key is get "there", not the emergency room.
"Make haste slowly" was how my Grandfather used to put it. Almost any task will take longer if it is interrupted by a trip to the Emergency Room.

Jim

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:rolleyes: You don't think things like that will happen to you ... and BONGING - there it is. Thanks for the heads-up

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Hmmmmmm.......is there a Doctor in the house?

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
I always use some kind of eye protection. I'm old and use cheaters to read anyhow. Dr says that's all I need. But...I'm finding out old people are clumsy.
My zero turn mower likes to bounce unknowns off of trees, cars and houses that somehow hit me all over my body and head. I don't always hit my thumb with a hammer anymore. I've been known to lose my temper and throw things.
Not a good idea, sometimes it bounces too.:mad:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Guns don't kill people! Fully loaded buffer springs do!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Great advice about using eye protection. While I never did in the past, when I had a 1911 recoil spring & cap get away from me and put a clean hole in the plastic drop ceiling light lens and ricochet around in the drop ceiling, I now wear my reloading glasses when cleaning anything with a spring.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great advice about using eye protection. While I never did in the past, when I had a 1911 recoil spring & cap get away from me and put a clean hole in the plastic drop ceiling light lens and ricochet around in the drop ceiling, I now wear my reloading glasses when cleaning anything with a spring.

I've had a number of people tell me - in all seriousness - that their eyelids will close fast enough to protect their eyes. There's even some truth to that, but this guy's injury happened through his eyelid. I could tell that because there was a perfect semi-circular cut on the skin of his eyelid, exactly the size and shape of a buffer.

Jim

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've had a number of people tell me - in all seriousness - that their eyelids will close fast enough to protect their eyes. There's even some truth to that, but this guy's injury happened through his eyelid. I could tell that because there was a perfect semi-circular cut on the skin of his eyelid, exactly the size and shape of a buffer.

Jim
I'm thinking, if the recoil spring & cap put what looked like a bullet hole through multi-millimeter thick plastic, my eyelid ain't going to stand a chance! ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
In GONRA's experience, one has to wear GOGGLES to have complete eye protection.
Sharp, brittle TWIGS on tree branches are the worst. They just POKE INTO YER EYE if you do NOT have goggles! [email protected]#$%^&

Goggles will easily deal wth errant Firearms Springs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As far as the eyelid closing first, yes, it might, but I can tell you from experience that enough force applied will STILL rupture your eye! (13 stitches in the eyeball itself!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts