Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whether it be a firearm or an impact wrench!
Guy was trying to wiggle a nut out of the socket.
Now the question is:
Reverse it and get it off quickly (AND painfully) or
Go to the ER, endure the pain while waiting for hours to get in (and how are THEY going to get it off?)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Reverse it and pray it comes off quickly. If that doesn't work, grab the die grinder and cut the nut off. Noboma care probably wouldn't cover the medical costs!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As an auto mechanic, all I can say is YIKES :eek:

I can see how his could happen. OUCH. Not sure what I'd do, but it sure wouldn't be reversing the impact wrench!!! Probably twist that nose picker right off at the joint.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
As an auto mechanic, all I can say is YIKES :eek:

I can see how his could happen. OUCH. Not sure what I'd do, but it sure wouldn't be reversing the impact wrench!!! Probably twist that nose picker right off at the joint.
I always take the socket off, mount in a bench vise and use a hammer and punch to remove the nut.

Wonder if the bone is threaded. Might be a handy way to keep the wedding ring on....

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
That is just too painful to look at for more than a second.
Hard way to learn a lesson.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I always take the socket off, mount in a bench vise and use a hammer and punch to remove the nut.

does this work on Presidents too?

·
Banned
365 Posts
NOW I know why I prefer to use hand tools, muscle, and penetrating oil when removing nuts, even more than before.

About 30 years ago, I had a well known brand name that rhymes with 'flap gone' impact socket explode in my left hand when trying to remove motor mounts on a pickup I was working on. Took the ER almost 3 hours to remove all the socket shrapnel from my hand. Thank god it did not do any nerve or muscle damage to the hand. The tool rep that looked at the pictures taken of the injury nearly fainted when they saw those pictures.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Thats going to leave a mark

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Back it off carefully...the only difference between the shop and the ER is whether the finger is numb when they take it off!

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
He's screwed!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I feel for him, but maybe this,in his case, will be a cure for stupid. That is,unless of course, if the trigger pull was accidental then he will be more aware in the future.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Guess I'm cold-hearted, but I have zero sympathy for stupid people.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Since he will need help in the ER it would be best if he doesn't give them the finger...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts