Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a circular, trap door style hog trap set up for a week now out back on my property. I've been baiting the trap with corn feed around the trap on the outside with a bucket of stinky mash inside. My trap has an open top so deer can jump out or bears can climb out. My target animal is the friggin' hogs that are tearing my place up night after night. Morning after morning when I check the trap and game camera I'm finding the trap has sprung but nothing inside. The camera reveals 4 bears are gobbling up the goodies, springing the trap door and climbing out of the trap. The bears are showing up before the hogs and deer every night according to what the camera is showing. Anyone know of any hog bait that the bears won't touch but the hogs will? This is frustrating trying to catch a hog only to find bears are setting off the trap before the hogs show up.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
Try burying some strawberry jello without the corn. Don't know if the dirt will discourage them or not. I doubt it will. The other option is a elevated stand and feeder (no trap) and shoot the hogs with spotlights. Not sure if it legal in Florida so better check first.

I know what you mean though I fermented a pail of corn one year in TX. Put corn, water, strawberry jello and yeast in the 5 gal bucket, covered it and let it sit in the sun for 3 days. I took it over to where I was hunting hogs and spread it on the ground and went to my stand which was a blind I had made with brush. The land owner had cattle on the property and they loved the concoction. So much so they were staggering around. I tried to chase them off it but they would come back for more. The drunker they got the short the distance they would run off. Finally had to laugh watching drunken cattle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try burying some strawberry jello without the corn. Don't know if the dirt will discourage them or not. I doubt it will. The other option is a elevated stand and feeder (no trap) and shoot the hogs with spotlights. Not sure if it legal in Florida so better check first.

I know what you mean though I fermented a pail of corn one year in TX. Put corn, water, strawberry jello and yeast in the 5 gal bucket, covered it and let it sit in the sun for 3 days. I took it over to where I was hunting hogs and spread it on the ground and went to my stand which was a blind I had made with brush. The land owner had cattle on the property and they loved the concoction. So much so they were staggering around. I tried to chase them off it but they would come back for more. The drunker they got the short the distance they would run off. Finally had to laugh watching drunken cattle.
Haven't heard about the jello option, it's worth a try. A huntin' buddy called me last night and said to use soy beans. According to him, bears don't care for them much but hogs love them. I guess something else to try. You can hunt hogs in FL by spotlight with a FL Wildlife Commision permit which is free. That must be funny as hell watching cows drunk. I assume the same thing happens with hogs as well. Maybe that's why they love sour mash so much. Boy that mash stinks. Went to the trap again this morning, same story. Trap set off, nothing inside, all corn gone. Time to try something else...hey I've got some jello in the cupboard.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
Good luck. You going to snip it if it's a boar and fatten it up or just take it as is. The ones I shot were good eating pork, very lean and mild flavored. Good eating sausage as well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I spent 36 years working as a wildlife biologist and in that time have trapped hundreds of bears. One thing for certain burying food will do you no good whatever. The only way to keep bears from eating bait is not to put it out. That is not what you want to hear but it is what it is. My experience is bears will eat anything edible and a lot of stuff that is not. I have seen Coleman fuel cans that bears have chewed up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the jello, 5 boxes worth, buried about a foot deep. A little sprinkled in and around trap. Bears dug it up. Same results. Time to try soybeans I guess.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
I spent 36 years working as a wildlife biologist and in that time have trapped hundreds of bears. One thing for certain burying food will do you no good whatever. The only way to keep bears from eating bait is not to put it out. That is not what you want to hear but it is what it is. My experience is bears will eat anything edible and a lot of stuff that is not. I have seen Coleman fuel cans that bears have chewed up.
When we went Caribou hunting out of Shefferville, CN we flew into a tent camp in the bush and bears had gotten into the main tent and chug-a-lugged chain saw bar oil.

TMNSF:

I think you best bet is to shoot the hogs. Sounds like the bears think they have a good thing going. Got a bear season down there?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in your area and would love to help you out via a firearm :). I'll admit i've never spot lighted hogs, but I assume you just blast the light when you know they are there.

Terry_p, don't say bear season! Its a touchy subject down here :p. It ended not too long ago. First one in over 20 yrs.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
I'm in your area and would love to help you out via a firearm :). I'll admit i've never spot lighted hogs, but I assume you just blast the light when you know they are there.
You can hear them snorting and grunting a long ways away. They sound like, well hogs. ;) In TX when I hunted them, they came when it was still light enough to see them thru the scope.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn bears!!! I quit feeding a few days back hoping they would move on in search of food. Last night they broke into my garage window to get at the house trash(can't keep the trash cans outside because the bears get into it). What a F*****' mess they made for me to clean up. Time to replace the broken window too. Damn bears!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Most states that have bears have people to trap and relocate problem bears. Call your local wildlife department and ask them to help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, did your problem escalate. I retract my offer to take out the hogs, I don't want to mess with those bears. I believe twodog max's advice is your only solution for bears.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bears, hogzilla, gators... I think I'll stick to hunting ohio. If I had issues and problems with dangerous animals on my farm, I'd take care of the problem and keep it under my hat so to speak. Livestock can be replaced, but kids can't.

I just bought my son a special light for coyote hunting at night. It mounts on your gun and illuminates either a greenish or reddish light out 500+ yards. It doesn't spook the coyotes and you can see very well through a standard rifle scope.

This ones a christmas present for my son and hasn't been opened, but heres the box sleeve that shows price. A nephew of mine has one that I tried a couple weeks ago and they're amazing. The view through the scope looks like a green tinted night vision kind of situation.

I'm not into hunting coyotes or anything else at night so I was unaware there were lights like this. Maybe something like this could help you get the hogs without the trap and without creating a feeding station for bears.

This was just my thoughts, good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bears are the worst. You have to stop feeding until they go away. 2 months usually. Then they will be gone for a while... until they come back.

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I lived in Cocoa, I put a red dot scope on my .44 magnum 1894 Marlin. Most hogs are seen in the first hour after day light or the last hour before dark, so the red dot worked well..........robin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts