Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long you keep a count of rounds you put through any particular weapon. I've had my LC9 for a week and only have 50 rounds through it and will probably put 30 to 50 more today. I am still within the break in period so I am keeping track of how many I have put through. I have seen folks that keep detailed records of date, # of rounds, brand, grain and even keep the targets. While I don't get this detailed I am keeping track of how many I put through and brand. Only used 115 so far, when I try something different I will keep a note of how many rounds of whatever I use. So how long do most folks keep track of the round count? 500, 1000 or forever? Is is necessary? I have only purchased one used gun in my life and I was interested in how many rounds had been put through since the date of manufacture but no one knew.
Thanks for any insight, hope this is not a redundant question.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
All of my pistols have a written record of how many rounds have gone down the pipe as well as the date. You'd be surprised how far off you can be if you try to guestimate as compared to the actual number of rounds they've fired.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I manage to somehow keep a "ballpark" figure in my head for each gun I own, but I only own six right now. It's useful for maintenance, or if you sell one you can tell the buyer an approximate count.

I have two stainless Bearcats, so a count helps me give them equal wear and tear, however much that matters.

I am in the habit of keeping exact count of my ammunition. On bulk ammo I count what's printed on the box, they usually have a few extra. Besides that, I can tell you exactly how many cartridges I have by brand and caliber, listed on an index card I keep.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't bother..Your not likely to ever shoot out your barrel unless your in competition.

And it doesn't tell you if the gun has been used hard and put away wet..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I thought about it, but no. The only ones I'm worried about are my 22's, because they get so many rounds through them. Good thing they are Ruger strong, made right here in the US of A.

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
I don't keep track what's the point? And when I buy a used gun round count is meaningless condition is what counts
The point is that especially on autoloading pistols, the recoil spring needs to be replaced after X amount of rounds.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Just wondering how long you keep a count of rounds you put through any particular weapon. - - - Snip - - -
The answer is "it depends". It depends on how anal you are. :D :D

I too, like kingpins9, keep a record of every round fired in each of my guns. The date, brand, type and any comments I may want to note or work I've performed on the gun. I keep a separate page for each. On the same page I record, with just a simple red line under the date, when I clean the pistol or revolver.

If you shoot a large variety of guns on a regular basis it can be very helpful (and insightful.) It's amazing, particularly on .22 caliber pistols and revolvers, how fast you can accumulate a thousand, (or two or three,) rounds through a gun. :) As always, YMMV but, it works for me. :)

As I've seen in someone's signature tag line: I don't have OCD. I have COD. It's almost the same but the letters are in alphabetical order. :D :D :D

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
All of my pistols have a written record of how many rounds have gone down the pipe as well as the date. You'd be surprised how far off you can be if you try to guestimate as compared to the actual number of rounds they've fired.
I'm with this proud "right wing nut" guy. :D It's a good thing to know how many rounds have gone through a firearm. I also wear a belt with my suspenders.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm keeping track of rounds through each firearm just for my own amusement.

After time at the range I note how many rounds, what brands/types of ammo, and any problems with it. I have a couple of brands of ammo that have given me grief and I won't be buying more.

I also keep an accurate inventory of the brands and types of ammo on hand.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I keep a record for each gun also. Yeah, I list the ammo, and weight but not all the data for each. Just want a fairly accurate count. Amazing how fast one can get a round count up if not paying attention. But then, that's just me....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I must be a round count nerd then. I have a spreadsheet for all my guns. They have dates I purchased them, dates I shot them, rounds I shot them that day, and total rounds. Also, any maintenance, even field stripping and lubing is also recorded. With 9 different calibers and multiple guns in .22, 9mm, and .223/5.56mm it would be impossible for me to keep tract. I just like to know.

Last page in the spreadsheet lists all guns along with serial numbers, purchase price and current value with total value of handguns, and total value of long guns and a cell for total value of all guns.

Don’t ask me how much ammo I have on hand. I don’t have a clue.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Pretty much same here.
Purely out of interest, takes a full minute each time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I bought my Glock, I ccame across this program called RANGE LOG, they have a free version, but if you are active duty military you get free upgrade, the program makes it easy to keep track of rounds fired, number of cleaning and ranges shot..

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I use to keep round counts, but found it was too cumbersome.

I know a rough estimate of each gun so I can change springs and perform other routine maintenance based on the number of outings each has been on.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
The only rounds I count are the ones I shoot between reloading. As a couple of our more distinquished gunsmiths on the forum have pointed out, round count is not a good indicator of when parts need to be replaced. Function is the indicator that determines that. That being said, I keep a rough count in my head of how much has been shot through what. But I've never written it down. My newest acquistion in my new EDC, a Colt Defender 45. I've shot exactly 250 rounds through it. I'm keeping track with this one until I've reached at least 300, maybe 500, since it's now my carry weapon. Once I hit 500 I don't see a reason to keep that close of a track on it anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts