Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where I can buy 173 or 175 grain Keith style LSWC for 357 magnum online at a good price? :confused:
I usually buy 158 grain SWC from three different places and load them in 357. I have had great results with the heaver bullets loaded in 38 special brass. The accuracy is better than any other bullet loaded in 38 brass. I assume that is because of the longer front driving band in front of the crimp grove. :)
I normally can get 158 SWC, including shipping, from these places:
Missouri Bullet if I buy 1,000, to save on shipping, at a time they are $42/500 with Hi-Tec coated @ $50/500. (Even less if I buy 1,500 or 2,000.)
Black and Blue Bullet Hi-Tec coated $53/500.
ACME Hi-Tec coated or Cast for $48.75/500 (my favorite) :D
All of the 173 grain Keith SWC I can find on line will cost me $70/500. :(

Anybody else use the 173 grain? It is too long to be load in 357 brass and shot in some revolvers. Maybe that is why it is rarer.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am also a fan of the heavier keith SWC for my 357 Magnums. Currently, all my 357's are Ruger, so the cylinder is long enough to accommodate the longer bullet. I ordered mine from an outfit called Rimrock Bullets, here is a link. They are charging $54/500:

.357 mag Keith 170 gr. SWC-FB per 500 - Standard Hard Cast Lead Bullets 12 & 15BHN - Premium Bullets

I mostly use these for a "moderate" magnum loading right around 1200 FPS. Don't order all of them, I am planning to place an order shortly after Christmas :D. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
When I first started to cast my own lead bullets for my .357/.38 Special I was using a bullet mold that turned out a Keith style Lead Semi Wadd Cutter bullet that was 168 grain. I totally loved that bullet. I used this bullet for both .357 & my .38 Special loads. It sounds like that there will be a LSWC in the bullet weights that will suit you good luck!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am also a fan of the heavier keith SWC for my 357 Magnums. Currently, all my 357's are Ruger, so the cylinder is long enough to accommodate the longer bullet. I ordered mine from an outfit called Rimrock Bullets, here is a link. They are charging $54/500:

.357 mag Keith 170 gr. SWC-FB per 500 - Standard Hard Cast Lead Bullets 12 & 15BHN - Premium Bullets

I mostly use these for a "moderate" magnum loading right around 1200 FPS. Don't order all of them, I am planning to place an order shortly after Christmas :D. Hope this helps.
Ditto. I bought a bunch of these some years ago. Very consistent cast, very accurate (I've only tested to about 35 yards). I keep them around for generic target shooting and to load something for woods/mountain carry for critters with thick hides.

I've been tinkering with loads in .38 +p and medium .357 brass. I worked up my .38 load with a CCI 550 and 7.0 gr of HS-6. IIRC it runs about 900fps over my chrony. I use it in one of my SP101's when hiking. Packs a punch, yet still very controllable from a smaller revolver. (Disclaimer: work up your loads, this is definitely a +P load...maybe +P+)

I'm working up a second load in .357 brass and have started at 8.0gr of HS-6 and am still working up for accuracy. I'm hoping to have right around 1150-1200fps from a 4" barrel on my GP100 once I find the sweet spot for accuracy. I'm looking for something more like a 38/44 load. I'm a big proponent of hit where you aim. I figure the extra 150fps I might get won't do me any good if I can hit the vitals.

Oh yeah, I have reloaded Hornady nickel cases from their defensive cartridges. They are a little bit shorter, right around 1.25". Very handy for getting some medium power .357 Keith loads. I think Brian Pearce originally talked about trimming down his .357 brass to this length for his loads and that's what gave me the idea. Low and behold I checked some Hornady empties and they came in perfect at 1.248-1.25"

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Rim Rock Bullets looks good another suggestion is Acme Bullets out of Wisconsin seems to put out a good product as well. I have been looking for a LSWC bullet for my Ruger SP101 .327 FM.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies on the 173 grain LSWC. Accuracy has not normally been very good for LSWC in my 6" GP100, my 4" SP101 or my 6" Dan Wesson. The big problem is barrel leading using 38 special brass. I have not had that problem with the 173 grain.
The Rim Rock bullets look just like the unknown source 173 LSWC which I have only 35 left. The problem is price. I am cheap I guess. If I order 500 to try and pay shipping Rim Rocks would be $70 per 500. :( If I order 1,000 that would cut it to $62 per 500.

Just today I was thinking about the leading issue. I am a big fan of ACME coated SWC. I decided to try them in 38 brass. I know they would not lead, but had no reason to think they would be accurate. I loaded up 10 rounds each with 3 different powders. I loaded max loads or +P loads with Unique, Blue Dot and HP-38. Wow. They all shot OK, but the HP-38 loads were great. I shot from 50 feet because I did not know if they would all stay on the paper at 25 yards. My GP100 was rested on sand bags at 50 feet. The HP-38 loads 5 shot groups each group had 3 rounds cutting clover leaf holes. :D

So, I can get the ACME for $48 shipped here. I will order more soon. :)
Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Piedpiper46 wow that's good to hear on the Acme Bullets. I have 500 140 grain Nevada Hard Cast .357 Bullets that I need to load up. But I been looking at the .32 Caliber stuff & I saw a thread here on Acme Bullets & liked what I saw. So been accumulating some .327 FM & some .32 H&R ammo one I get enought brass & get thru Xmas expense after the first of the year. Going to order a few hundred of the Acme .32 caliber bullets.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I go to my shop and cast them when I need them. I have several cigar boxes full of lubed and sized bullet now so I shouldn't be running out anytime soon. I shoot a lot of them in 38 spl. cases on top of 13.5 grs. of 2400 with excellent accuracy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts