Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little Kel Tecs (the 6.6 ounce .32 and the 8 ounce .380) intrigue me as guns that might be carried when anything else could be too large or heavy.

Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these models? I'd suppose the rimless .380 might be more reliable (no rim lock) as well as a bit more powerful, though I do have a curious yen for a .32 auto. What do they usually sell for new at retail?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
only thing i can do is point you towards

www.ktog.org

the bulletin board portion opens into a forum with sub catagories for the 32 and 380.
Seems a lot of folks have minor problems with their kel tecs but they are minor issues with lots of self-help info posted there. very postive remarks about kel-tek customer service for the most part.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I been packing a KT-3AT for about 7 months or so. It's a great little back up gun. Takes about 100rds of ball ammo to break in. I then started using Magtec gold hollow points and they work fine now. Mines with me as soon as I put my jeans on in the morning and stays with me where ever I go. I run a couple of mags through it every time I go to the range. I shoot one mag off hand and one with my right hand. Once you get use to them they are a good little weapon. If you are willing to practice with them within their range they are very effective. Good luck.
Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've owned a P-32 for a few years. Its a nice pocket gun. I use a Alessi Roughout pocket holster, and it looks like you might have a wallet in your pocket in the worst case. With real deep pockets, you can't see it at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get a face or chest full of .32's. Granted, that's about all its good for. A close in, last ditch gun. But it could be the difference. Some gun is better than no gun.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I guess it's true that a 32 might be better than nothing but why would that be your only choice? I believe in having the proper equipment no mater what the circumstance and the 32 Auto is not on my list of viable defensive rounds, neither is the 25 auto or any .22 cal pistol. Sure the little 32 Auto is very small but there are better alternatives that are small enough.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I like to think that the pocket snubs and pocket autos more as a back up than a primary. Still, i wold not want to be shot with one either. And as said some gun is better than no gun.
One trick that i did with the kel-tek p11 and with s&w airweight snubs was to carry them weak-hand side in my front pocket in a uncle mike #3 pkt holster. That way i had access to my primary with strong hand and back-up weapon with weak hand---should one hand be occupied during a confrontation i would still have access to a weapon. i would take my wallet and put it in front of the p11/snub so only the wallet would obviously print in the front pocket but conceal the weapon. Figured if they got the drop on me, they would think i was complying and going to pull out my wallet instead of...................

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
quote:Originally posted by FrankRochester

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to get a face or chest full of .32's. Granted, that's about all its good for. A close in, last ditch gun. But it could be the difference. Some gun is better than no gun.
For that matter, I wouldn't want a face full of .22s either! :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
it depends on who you talk to about which is more powerful the 32 or the 380. The Bore House of Texas feels the 380 has the more power behind it. I think they are pretty much the same. One advanged over the 32 I think is that you can get glazer ammo for the 380. I haven't seen any for the 32. 22 's in the face yep if you live life will suck, but a face full of 380's in glazer I don't think you will be worried about living.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
For what it is worth, I talked to a ccw instructor who favors the 32 kel-tec. He advised that he felt the 32 had the advantage over the 380 in that the 32 held 1 more rd and was more controlable in rapid fire compared to the .380 in such a small package in his hands. He thought neither would reliably expand in such a short barrel.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've got a Beretta Tomcat .32, amazingly accurate at self defense distances, and easy to control, but a little too bulky for discreet pocket carry. I've fired a Kel-Tec P3AT, and they are snotty, and will definitely sting your hand. Very thin and concealable though. If one were considering violating their employer's no weapons policy without being detected, it might be a good choice. About impossible to visually detect in a pocket holster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would have to agree.. the .32 is easy to shoot and has the extra bullet. Also, I don't carry HP's in the gun. Just FMJ's... HP's aren't gonna expand and go deep enough. I understand the uses and limitations of the type of gun and caliber. Gotta have reliability first...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
FrankRochester, I know some spooks who carry the KelTec .32 (one carries two) just for that reason...they don't hang up and that's #1 concern-keep poppin'....I've thought about it as a third...not much money for a bit more insurance...

·
Registered
129 Posts

I carry the .380 P3AT w/Corbon DPX when I wear tight jeans, wear a Tuxedo...my Sunday go to church pocket pistol.

I carry my 642 in Docker type pants pockets. Again, I carry Corbon DPX exclusively.

These are weapons I carry for self defense in the most "last resort" scenario. If I am going into an area where I know trouble brews, I will use those two weapons purely as back up to a .357 mag or .45 ACP. They taught us in the military that a side arm is nothing more than the extension of your fist.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hey, Dawgfvr...stop braggin' 'bout bein' able to wear tight jeans...everything I wear is tight.....:D but my Sunday go-to-church gun is my P90 in an IWB polo shirt tail out and it keeps my mind at ease so I can hear the message better....my 649 is backup...there are some advantages to having an overhang!!! What .45 do you carry and how's the DPX feed in it? I think I need some of dem!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
sheepdog: Well, I have been carrying a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145.
I shoot the 160 gr Corbon DPX with it...or the Taurus 185 gr. all copper Hex bullet. They expand nicely out of the short barrel...I have little recoil and the follow up shots are much quicker. What can I say, I like all copper bullets. The reason I joined this site...was to pick all Ruger guy's brains so that I can select the perfect .357 mag. I will definitely get the 3 inch barrel GP100 or SP101 (just cannot make up mind). Why? Well, many range instructors have told me tales where autos (especially my Taurus Millennium) have jammed/FTF/FTE, etc., in many of their cources. Hell, scared the heck out of me...in spite of my never having a problem with my weapon. I've only fired it lesiurely on the range of course. Anyway...I decided to go for the revolver as my main carry. My first revolver...many, many moons ago, was the Police Service Six. So...I've decided to revisit Ruger.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice holster-like that style-whose is it? My favorite revolver ever was a 4" Speed Six stainless with hammer bobbed-slicker than a preacher at a chicken dinner!!! Someday I'll find another...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.