Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in hearing opinions on Kel Tech pistols, pro and con. I am considering a 9mm Kel Tech for concealed carry. Yeah, I know, it aint a Ruger. I got plenty Rugers. But I want something really, really light, maybe something I can carry in a front pocket with a pocket holster. Even my SP101 would be kind of heavy for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Howdy, I've been carrying a Keltec .380 (2nd gen) for a couple years and am very satisfied. I've got about 1500 rds throught it and it's been to the factory once. (Molding flaw). It goes bang EVERY time I pull the trigger. Factory service is forever and outstanding. I hear that the PF9 is very reliable out of the box (after the first couple hundred guns were made). They have 2 great owners sites with lots of good experience available.
http://www.ktrange.com/
http://www.ktog.org/
Good Luck,

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
they shoot right out of the box.I was going to get one in 32 auto but ran up on a charter arms 38 subie, its painted camo. A gun this ugly has to be bought. Its lite and I have plenty of ammo for it.
I may still get the kel-tec in 32 auto, it does fit in the pocket and lays flat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snuffy, Better get a hold of both the .32 and the .380 before deciding. Darn near the same size and the .380 has twice the power and you can shoot hollow points that will open up. (Corbon 90gr, Fed Hyd shock 90gr, Rem Golden Sabre 102 gr all work well). Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Had the kel-tek 9mm and found it to be reliable. I carried it as a back-up in my front pocket in a uncle mike #3 pocket holster. Never did like the trigger as it was longer and heavier than a s&w snub. And at my previous dept, all guns including back-ups had to be qualified on the same course of fire as the duty weapon. Due to this requirement, alot of officers passed on the kel-tek due to the 25 and 15 yd required timed shot strings. I ended trading it and some boot for a smith airweight bodyguard.
The trigger pull on the kel-tek 32 acp is considerably better but from memory the 32 has no 2nd strike capability.
+1 on this site:

www.ktog.org

it is an active board with an active forum that covers all of the kel-tek pistols and rifles. Quite a bit of info there and just like here they will be helpful. They report the bad with the good. Check the bulletin board portion of that board.

If i were to go the 32 or 380 route, i would be inclined to stay with fmj to try to get more penetration. Seen a few victims/suspects where the 32 and 380 had insufficient penetration even in fmj.

·
Registered
31 Posts
2 people I know have the .380 and both are well pleased with them. Pull the bang switch, they fire!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm saving my pennies for a GLOCK 27.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hi Gunman. I carry a KT-3AT 2nd generation 24/7. Even in the house. Put it in a pocket and you will forget it's there. It's about like carrying a large knife. When I first got it, it choked a couple of times with hollow points. It has never choked on Winchester white box. Now it runs everything I put in it so it will need a little break in time. As I type this it's in my pocket.
I recommend it highly. Good luck.

Best: Baldy

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I wouldn't mind to have a K-tec in 9mm or 40 S&W.
Looks like their customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Knew a guy had a KT .40...it would choke on anything till he had a good gunsmith go over it...then it ate anything...light, small, I'd prefer the 9, though...more capacity in a backup...less recoil....40 is snappy...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a P-32, its a pretty good gun. It doesn't have all the flair of some of the more expensive guns but it works. I carry it in a Alessi Roughout pocket holster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't like them.... too cheap and except for all the good words above, all I've heard is they are trouble. I've only shot one of those low end 380's and was not impressed.... but it did go bang after I pulled that awfull trigger and the round did hit somewhere near where I was aiming.

With that said, two friends I respect both carry a small Keltec as back up. one in 380 and the other in 32.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I agree with Blume357. I don't mind cheap guns (hell I even have a .25 cal raven.. somewhere..), but I would NEVER use a cheap gun for personal protection, unless it was a revolver or pump shotgun because these are manual action and less likely to jam.

For a small frame like the Kal-Tec, I would go with a Walther PPK/S made by S&W or Walther and stay away with the Interarms version.

Having said that, anything is better than nothing...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes sir Mr.Blume some folks miss the point as to me that's all they are good for is back up or a quick in your face type of deal. When I leave the house I got my 1911 on my hip and most of the time I got the KT in my pocket. Like my LEO buddy who shoots with me once in awhile says they are a smell their breath gun. He carries one too and we practice point shooting them as the sights are no good up close anyway. We also use our off hand a lot and I am starting to get fair with it.
The second generation of the 3AT is a lot better product than the first ones that came out.

Best: Baldy.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, after reading Jeff Quinn's write up on the Kel-Tech PF-9 9mm on gunblast.com I decided I would go ahead and buy one. I needed something smaller than my SP101, and P89 and P90 that I normally pack around. I was finding myself more and more just leaving my gun in the truck rather than pack the big things around. Seeing as how Ruger does not make anything that small, I thought I would give the Kel-Tech a try. First of all, this is not a target gun, that is for sure, but I ran 100 rounds of 115 JHP reloads through it today and it went bang each time with no stoppages. It throws the brass well clear of the gun. The trigger is gonna take some getting used to. It makes my SP101 trigger seem light, and I never thought I would say that about any gun! The accuracy was not too awful, once I got a little more used to the trigger. Anyway, all that being said, this gun is one I wont leave in the truck. It weighs next to nothing!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hi Gunman and congrats on your new pistol. I know what you mean about getting tired sometimes of packing a large gun. I haven't shot the new PF-9 yet but I am going to the first chance I get. Seems like they got the bugs worked out of them. Good luck with yours.

Best:Baldy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No offense to anyone, but the Walther PPK doesn't have the best reputation for reliability either. And the DA trigger on them is even worse than a P-380 KelTec. The pocket sized KelTec's are meant to be carried lots and shot enough to know they will work. They probably won't stand up as long to many many rounds fired out of them. But they are meant to be a lightweight, flat pocket gun that you can always have on you. Some gun is better than no gun.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I know the Interarms version were a little flaky, this true for the S&W version as well?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.