Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any horse racing fans out there? I love triple crown time. We go to the Preakness every year, have really great seats. We were unfortunately about forty feet from Barbaro when he ended his career last year.

Anyway, my Derby pick: Any Given Saturday.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's not for everybody. Beautiful state you've got there though, I've only been once (to the Derby) and wished I could have spent more time there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Although My wife and I love to go to Churchill Downs occasionally, neither of us have been to the Derby or have any desire to fight those crowds on Derby Day. That is one of the few times I do watch a little TV, usually 4 or 5 races including the Derby. Her two brothers and one brother-in-law trained horses at one time and two nephews still do. Not million dollar or Derby grade horses although a few through the years have been pretty pricey and fairly good runners.
Baker

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
If you guy's are interested in flyfishing, check out EddieF's flyfishing blog. Pretty interesting. I take a fly rod along every once in awhile, but usually end up with a bunch of line wraped around my neck. Keep tellin' myself, someday...............

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Kansas45, I appreciate that! If you're ever out this way, maybe we can get that line from around your neck and get you a fish on a fly. You might not go back to your bass boat!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kansas45, I hope you and yours weren't in the way of that tornado yesterday. Scary stuff...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
No Eddie, Were about 130 miles south-east of Greensburg. They say that Tornado was 1 1/2 miles wide at times. I guess it travled 80 miles on or near the ground. I'm thankful that no more people lost their lives or got hurt than did. It will take a long time for those in the path of the storm to rebuild their lives. In the mid to late 80's, a 1 mile wide tornado moved through the county from about a mile north-east of our town for 15 or so miles. I watched it from the top of a wheat bin from three miles away. It was an amazing sight!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out here in the east the few tornadoes we do get are rare and small. But compared to hurricanes and earthquakes, tornadoes are, to me, the very scariest of God's ****storms. Glad you're safe.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Louisville is so busy during the Derby, I really hate to be on the streets then when the traffic is so congested. It's great though for friends from out of town who wish to come experience it though and people from other places who love the ponies. Better than the Derby, to me anyhow, is Thunder over Louisville - a huge air and fireworks show. If you can get a spot early enough along the river or over on the Indiana side, you're in for a treat, but I usually watch it on tv. :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Taurus_9mm

Louisville is so busy during the Derby, I really hate to be on the streets then when the traffic is so congested. It's great though for friends from out of town who wish to come experience it though and people from other places who love the ponies. Better than the Derby, to me anyhow, is Thunder over Louisville - a huge air and fireworks show. If you can get a spot early enough along the river or over on the Indiana side, you're in for a treat, but I usually watch it on tv. :D
My two sons went to Thunder for a few years but the crowds are so big now and the traffic so bad especially after it's over and they finally quit. My wife and I watch parts of it on TV. Love the aircraft and the sky divers. It's a heckuva show. Apparently the noise follows up the river because we can hear the rumble and see the flashes out where we live which is at least 8 to 10 miles or so away.
Baker

·
Registered
132 Posts
Always wanted to make it to a Derby. Tried somewhat seriously a couple years ago but couldn't get tickets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts