Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way associated with KG industries just a new satisfied customer. Had some pretty significant copper build up in the last 3rd of my 6.5 Creedmore RPR. Used KG 12 copper remover and it worked great, took 2 cleanings of 40 strokes each. Here are the before and after pics.[/ATTACH]
jk

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
I tried it in my Savage Axis and thought it was doing a good job until, on a whim, I swabbed the bore with another of my copper cleaners and got patches out that were dark blue.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,907 Posts
I tried it in my Savage Axis and thought it was doing a good job until, on a whim, I swabbed the bore with another of my copper cleaners and got patches out that were dark blue.
I always seem to get more gunk out of a bore when changing solvents. I always start with good old Hoppes #9. For fouled bores I will then use Barne's CR-10, or Montana Extreme Copper Killer. I'll run a couple of patches of Hoppes through to get the ammonia based cleanser out, and those patches often come out dark. After all that a patch wet with Rem Oil will usually still bring out some dirt. Every application seems to loosen up a layer for the next solvent. My bench looks like a chemistry lab!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I always seem to get more gunk out of a bore when changing solvents. I always start with good old Hoppes #9. For fouled bores I will then use Barne's CR-10, or Montana Extreme Copper Killer. I'll run a couple of patches of Hoppes through to get the ammonia based cleanser out, and those patches often come out dark. After all that a patch wet with Rem Oil will usually still bring out some dirt. Every application seems to loosen up a layer for the next solvent. My bench looks like a chemistry lab!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have a number of different bore cleaners too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I like the KG 12 and use it at times for moderate copper problems. For the really tough stuff I fall back to Sweets 7.62. Poison and stinks but it sure cuts copper fast.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the KG 12 and use it at times for moderate copper problems. For the really tough stuff I fall back to Sweets 7.62. Poison and stinks but it sure cuts copper fast.
Somewhere online (probably at KG's website) is a test of various copper solvents; a jacketed bullet was immersed in each solvent, and then weighed periodically. KG-12 was the ONLY one that actually removed any appreciable amount of copper from the bullet.

I also really like their carbon remover, KG-1. I used it on really significant carbon deposits, in the breech mechanisms of 60mm mortars! It works when nothing else will!

ETA: Here's the test of copper removers: https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_KG_KG12_TEST.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts