Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the 5" stainless GP100 today. Seems the 5" is a good tweener when trying to decide between the 4" and the 6". It now just has to ship to my local FFL then it's on to me. That's because I bought it out of state. No one I checked with within 50 miles of my place had a stainless GP100 in 4", 5" or 6". There's one very busy shop I wasn't able to check their stock though. The kind of place you have to pick a number and wait 2+ hours to actually talk to someone.

I thought the 5" model was fairly rare but that simply isn't the case. The not so LGS buys 50 at a time from Ruger and seems to go through them at a decent and steady rate. They have about 14 left of the 50 they received in November 2012. The one I bought today was test fired on Nov 8, 2012.

I purchased it from Dam Road Gun Shop in Delavan, WI. This was the first time I'd ever been to this very small shop. Small yes, but their inventory is great and they seem to move a lot of product. If turnover per square foot were a rated category, they'd rate very high indeed.

All the best,

Mark

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations Mark! That should be a fine GP and please post a few photos when you get it in your hands. We do like our pictures here! ("Photos or it didn't happen...")

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got the same guns late last year and couldnt be happier. Sure, I would like to have a 3", 4", and 6" to go with it but I think the balance is great, it looks awesome as far as the proportions go and I like knowing it handles kind of like a 4" but have a few more FPS to get closer to the ballistics of the 6"

Did I over think it? Probably but for me the 5" was absolutely the best choice. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep, great choice. I went to a gunshow several years ago determined to buy a new 4" in bbl GP100 and lo and behold just happened to find a new 5"bbl model. Bought it and couldn't be happier. It's the perfect compromise!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
5 inch revolvers are a great handling firearm. I have 2 51/2 inch redhawks and I like them far better than 6 or 6 and 1/2 inch barreled smiths.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Went looking for 4" barreled GP-100's...

Got home, and discovered that I had TWO KGP-151s, and for same price as the 4" models!

Couldn't be happier, as they feel better than the 4" models I used to have, five years ago!

Sometimes, you just get lucky!

OA, out...

·
Banned
586 Posts
Yes, those with them say they carry like a 4 inch and shoot like a 6 incher.

That extra velocity over a 4 inch gun is a bonus as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I never knew they made a 5" GP-100.....ya learn something new every day....

Now I want one......:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts