Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a KIDD Trigger job tonite and I do notice the difference. Dry firing I realized that if you pull back the bolt and gently release it the trigger will not reset unless I pull the trigger forward myself, but when I pull the bolt and let it go by itself the trigger resets without issue. I don't know if that is also what happens when it has the stock trigger as well. Well what I am worried about is that this is a semi-auto and when the bolt resets each time will my trigger reset or stay back? Am I prone to it going full auto?:confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I know nothing of the trigger or trigger modifications you're referring to. On a properly-functioning stock Mini, the trigger will reset correctly regardless how quickly or slowly the bolt moves forward. If yours isn't resetting some of the time, I'd suggest a review of what parts were modified or replaced.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
On the Kidd trigger, itself, there is a pre-travel screw. You need to thread in more pre-travel (take up slack) to the trigger or, yes, you can get multiple discharges when firing. Happened to me at the range the other day after installing the Kidd unit in one of my 10/22s. I just added a bit more slack as needed until the problem was solved.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On the Kidd trigger, itself, there is a pre-travel screw. You need to thread in more pre-travel (take up slack) to the trigger or, yes, you can get multiple discharges when firing. Happened to me at the range the other day after installing the Kidd unit in one of my 10/22s. I just added a bit more slack as needed until the problem was solved.
Which one is the pre travel screw? The one on the rear of the trigger facing the plunger or the one on top of trigger? Right now the trigger just impacts the plunger where that screw is set...if I tighten it may not push the plunger far enough to engage the hammer.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It's the one on top. That's the one that you need to adjust if needed. Loosen the set screw to get more pre-travel, tighten for less. (Tighten too much, though, and the sear won't set.) The one on the plunger to the back is post travel. Worst thing that can happen with threading the post travel in too much is that your trigger won't reset.

What happens on most of these aftermarket trigger assemblies with a pre-travel adjustment is that you have to allow enough pre-travel, initially, to give the trigger plenty of room to properly reset. After you've shot a bunch of rounds, you can typically go back and remove some of that pre-travel. Also note that you really have to head to the range (don't forget an allen wrench) and do some shooting to know for sure what you will get. Like I said, had to do a little adjusting with the Kidd kit on my 10/22, but never had to adjust a thing when I installed the Kidd assembly in my Charger. On either one, though, it would now be darn hard to go back to a stock trigger. Be prepared to be spoiled.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks NCG. Will adjust according to your advice. I will try that and see how it goes. I'd rather have it safe and ready before heading to the range. Since I would hate it to auto fire and get booted from the range.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You are very welcome. For darn sure, if adjusting doesn't cure things, send the assembly back to Kidd. I'll be watching my 10/22 like a hawk at the range for some time to come, believe me.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Worst thing that can happen with threading the post travel in too much is that your trigger won't reset.
I think you meant to say pre-travel not post travel...if post travel is too limited it will stop the the trigger from releasing the hammer...gun will not fire even tho trigger has been reset...similar to having the safety on...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I installed a KIDD Trigger job tonite and I do notice the difference. Dry firing I realized that if you pull back the bolt and gently release it the trigger will not reset unless I pull the trigger forward myself, but when I pull the bolt and let it go by itself the trigger resets without issue. I don't know if that is also what happens when it has the stock trigger as well. Well what I am worried about is that this is a semi-auto and when the bolt resets each time will my trigger reset or stay back? Am I prone to it going full auto?:confused:
You might be interested in this...since you are working on yours now...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/60068-kidd-trigger-5-shot-burst.html?

Did you replace the trigger reset spring...

When I did mine (different brand) I used the replacement reset spring which is softer...mine started having malfunctions with trigger not resetting on it's own...result is not able to fire...opposite of auto fire...

I put the factory reset spring back in and it's been fine...

And like Granny says... at home I set my sear adjustment in until it would not reset...than backed out a hair until it would...got in the field and had to back it out 1/16 of a turn to restore reset function...been fine since then...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks NCG. Will adjust according to your advice. I will try that and see how it goes. I'd rather have it safe and ready before heading to the range. Since I would hate it to auto fire and get booted from the range.
If your worried about it going auto you could load just two until you get it adjusted

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
If your worried about it going auto you could load just two until you get it adjusted
On my 10/22, it only happened, now and then, shooting through an entire clip. Most shots in a full clip were singles, as they should be and it only happened a few times over the course of about 100 rounds. To be safe, you should definitely run through enough ammo until you're satisfied the problem is solved. I'm still not 100% satisfied it won't happen, again, even after adjusting, so will be doing more shooting to be sure. I'll post the results when I can get out to the range, again.

Zommygun, you're right. I did mean post-travel stopping the hammer.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You might be interested in this...since you are working on yours now...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/60068-kidd-trigger-5-shot-burst.html?

Did you replace the trigger reset spring...

When I did mine (different brand) I used the replacement reset spring which is softer...mine started having malfunctions with trigger not resetting on it's own...result is not able to fire...opposite of auto fire...

I put the factory reset spring back in and it's been fine...

And like Granny says... at home I set my sear adjustment in until it would not reset...than backed out a hair until it would...got in the field and had to back it out 1/16 of a turn to restore reset function...been fine since then...
Hey Zommy and NCG,

I had nothing to lose since I did not fire it yet. So I took it apart again fiddled around with the screw as suggested by NCG and still was not resetting on some trigger pulls. So I did the next thing that Zommy, you suggested, which was put the factory reset spring in and it now resets with every pull without issue. NOW...my other question is should I be worried about the short trigger pull? I know the KIDD is adjustable but as NCG stated that if too short it also can affect the reset. If so should I adjust that as well

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok. went to the range and tested the install out. Still doesn't reset I have to reset it myself every shot. I think I know the issue....the trigger post travel screw was set too much in. Where I only had like 2mm of travel instead of 4mm. So I got home and matched it up to the factory trigger and adjusted it that way. Went through 300 rounds, trigger pull was light and smooth though. Will go to the range sometime next week to try it out. No misfires just stuck trigger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is this for the Mini or the 10/22?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts