Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought home a little Kimber striker fired pistol today. I shoot 1911s almost exclusively but got the urge for a pocket pistol.

I really like the Sig P238 but it was a little more then I was willing to spend right now (working on a SPR build as well). I also looked at the S&W Bodyguard and the little Glock but I'm not crazy about "plastic" guns.

I found the Kimber used and due to some cosmetic flaws was able to talk them down a bit. I'll have to ceracoat the frame but that's OK. I would prefer a DA/SA trigger over the striker fired Solo too but, it's a nice looking gun (and I like my Kimbers). I also like the fact that it's 9mm as opposed to .380.

I know they get mixed reviews but for the price I figured I'd give it shot. If any one has one please feel free to voice your opinion.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Don't have one, but that is a nice looking gun. Congrats.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It's not something I was looking for, it just caught my eye.
I had one for several years. Shot all bullet weights with jacketed ammo reliably. 100%
That's good to hear. I'm heading out to try mine out a little later.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I almost got one when they came out, my local FFL had one he offered me at a reasonable price. I REALLY liked it. But, I decided to read some reviews first. It seems the reviewers (and Kimber) said it only functioned well with certain ammo. So, I passed. If I were you I would put it to same real testing just to insure it was reliable before making it your CCW. Which, actually, is good advice for any new gun. I still like them, but I suppose I dont need one.....

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I almost got one when they came out, my local FFL had one he offered me at a reasonable price. I REALLY liked it. But, I decided to read some reviews first. It seems the reviewers (and Kimber) said it only functioned well with certain ammo. So, I passed. If I were you I would put it to same real testing just to insure it was reliable before making it your CCW. Which, actually, is good advice for any new gun. I still like them, but I suppose I dont need one.....
I saw mixed reviews about it but, for the price, I thought I would give it a shot . Most of the criticism I see is what you stated: that Kimber suggests you use only "Premium Self Defense Ammo". That and the fact that they also recommend changing the recoil spring every 1000 rounds. Really, it's not meant to be a range toy though. It's really small and light and packs a punch. I intend to only shoot it enough to prove its reliability and my proficiency with it. If that means changing a $35 spring then so be it.

So, I had a chance to test it out today and I was pretty impressed. I put 5 different types of ammo of various weights and profiles without a hick-up. Didn't matter if the bullet was round, flat, HP, or even lead, this little guy ate it up.

As far as accuracy: my club has targets fixed at 25 yards. That's pretty far for a little pocket pistol but, after the first 3 shots, I was able to put every other shot on a 2'x2' target. Some ammo grouped better then others but, all shots were on the paper.

I need to put quite a few more rounds down range with it but it looks pretty good so far.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had one of the early guns. I followed the Kimber recommended break in to the letter. I never had any problems with the gun thru about 500 or so rounds before I sold it. (I wanted it to work for me as a pocket gun and that did not work) After the recommended break in, I used any and all types and bullet weights and it ate them all. It does have a very different and unusual trigger pull.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one of the early guns. I followed the Kimber recommended break in to the letter. I never had any problems with the gun thru about 500 or so rounds before I sold it. (I wanted it to work for me as a pocket gun and that did not work) After the recommended break in, I used any and all types and bullet weights and it ate them all. It does have a very different and unusual trigger pull.
Yes, the trigger takes some getting use to. Mine isn't too bad though, it measured 6 lbs consistantly. I intend to call Kimber this week at some point to find out when it was made.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great gun.
Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Kimber customer service. Apparently my gun was shipped out in March 2014. Based on its performance yesterday I can only imagine that the previous owner traded it in due to the finish on the frame.

I had seen some complaints about the Kimpro finish and the fact that Kimber was not refinishing the guns for free. I plan on ceracoating the frame "tactical black" instead of the gloss black it is now. I'm gonna keep the two tone look for now though since the slide is perfect.

You can see the big flake missing at the bottom of the grip:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I shot the Solo a bit when I was looking for a pocket 9mm and I did like it a lot, it was on a short list of guns I was looking at. In the end, it was some of the negative press, the need to shoot "premium" ammo, and the feel of the trigger that had me not choosing the Kimber. But all in all, it is a nice little gun.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, if I was researching for a new gun, the reviews and price would have made me shy away but, for $450 I figured I'd give it a shot. I think it's one of the better looking pocket 9s.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My wife has one.New mags need a break in as well.If you buy new mags and have problems I would just load them up and set them aside for a month or so and try again.We had that issue with two different mags.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my dad has one I don't think it has ever made it through an entire magazine without some sort of issue, I wouldn't trust it as a carry gun. I've tried talking him into taking a hit and trading it on a more reliable gun but he say's he'll keep it, glad he has a Sig P238 that is his EDC...

·
Registered
458 Posts
my dad has one I don't think it has ever made it through an entire magazine without some sort of issue, I wouldn't trust it as a carry gun. I've tried talking him into taking a hit and trading it on a more reliable gun but he say's he'll keep it, glad he has a Sig P238 that is his EDC...

Why not get it fixed and working right??

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it was sent back to Kimber and they claim there's nothing wrong with it..
From my research it appears the Solo can be quite finicky about what it will eat. A lot of the complaints are along the lines of "a $700 gun should eat anything I feed it!". Others simply find the ammo it likes and stick with it.

Luckily mine seems to like any ammo I feed it. But,even if it didn't, that would be fine with me as long as it shoots without fail with the proper ammo. I only put about 100 rounds through it with 5 different types of ammo so far. I'll put at least another 500 through it before I'm comfortable with it. Then I'll change the spring and shoot 200 more. if there are no issues that will probably be it except for a monthly function test.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts