Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's already been removed by the previous owner. I just got this in trade and have been playing with it. (Of course, new toy and all)
Anyway, it is a non railed safety model. When the safety is down, I can pull the trigger back and it will almost cock and release the hammer! I found this out by accident when explaining to the wife the way Ruger safeties work. No joking here, scared the hell outta me! I can pull the trigger back till it stops (about 3/4 of the way and while holding it back, watch the hammer SLOWLY ease forward then bang, it releases. Anything I can look at to avoid a ship-back to factory? The safety DOES block the firing pin best as I can tell but still this doesn't sound "right" at all. I haven't function fired it yet due to this issue. I've had a few P89's over the yrs and don't remember one of them behaving this way!

Thanks,
Trace

·
Registered
191 Posts
The safety system in the P345 is a little different than that in the other 'P' series pistols. it doesn't completely disconnect as with the other models. You're really better off to send it in any time a safety system is involved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My P345 did the same thing. The hammer would come back but would not release. I think this is perfectly normal for the P345. My P89 and P90 do not do this. The safety is different on the metal framed guns. I would say that your gun is OK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But it IS releasing, hence my concern. It cocks about 3/4 from full cock then creeps forward a tiny bit while holding trigger back then releases to slam home. Oh well.. a friend is a gunsmith and he wants it bad enough to swap me a G22 w/3 mags. Even knowing the issue so mustn't be TOO bad a problem.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,972 Posts
TxStorm, The problem with your P-345 is the internal link for the firing pin block has been damaged. Again, Ruger did a bad job designing the safety on this gun. A normal P-345 will move the hammer about half way when pulling the trigger with the safety on. Then the internal link bottoms out and prevents further hammer travel. Someone has forced the trigger real hard with the safety on and has damaged the link. Not only is this a safety issue, it can also prevent the gun from firing. It really needs to be sent back to Ruger for repairs. I would have an issue with selling an unsafe gun to anyone, even if they thought they could fix it. BTW, the bent link is a stamped part that has been heat treated to harden it. If you try to bend it back to the normal position, it will probably snap in two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Least it's not the mag disconnect! I'll copy this to my friend and see what he wants to do. May change his mind, but then again may not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts