Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2005 I bought a used P90 and it was my first venture into the Ruger P Series family. It was 100% reliable and accurate, but for some reason I just didn't like it. (Probably didn't shoot it enough.) In February of 2006 I bought a KP345PR. I had read quite a bit about it in the gun rags and really liked the looks of it. I picked one up a a local pawn shop and loved the looks and the way it fit my hand. I walked out with it that day and started shooting it. Function was flawless - it fed JHP's, FMJ's, cast SWC's and even Speer swaged SWC's without a hitch. I put 500 rounds through it.

Shortly after buying the 345, I picked up the new version of the KP95D and fell in love with it. It's 100% reliable, accurate and a joy to shoot. I shot it exclusively for a while until I ran it up to 500 rounds.

Everyone said the P97 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I found a NIB KP97D and quickly put 550 rounds through it. Nice gun -accurate, 100% reliable but mine has a terrible single action trigger pull. Double action pull is fine.

Then I bought a new KP90D - supposed to be maybe even better than sliced bread. It's an accurate gun and functions well with FMJ's, but has feeding problems with my cast SWC loads. They feed but don't quite chamber completely, although they work great in my other Ruger .45's and a Taurus PT1911. I only have about 250 rounds through it.

During this period I also was shooting a Springfield XD-40, a Taurus PT1911, a P944D, a KP944D, a KP93D, a P93D, a Kel-Tec PF-9 and a KT3AT. These all total up to about 3K rounds fired.

Last week I dug the KP345 out of the safe again and took it to the range with a box of Blazer Brass FMJ, a box of my reloads - W231 and 200 gr LC SWC, and another box of my reloads - Unique and Hornady 185 gr HP. The HP reloads shot nearly one hole groups at 10 yards. You can cover 5 shots with a nickel. This thing ate them all and I had forgotten how accurate and easy to shoot this thing is. It is by far the easiest shooting most accurate Ruger P Series auto that I own or have owned. It's had a lot of bad press due to magazine safety problems and some have said it is the worst designed Ruger ever. Maybe so - I just don't know. All I can tell you is, that out of all of the semi-autos I own or have owned over the years, it is my all-time favorite. I haven't cleaned the rear sight, but will if I have problems with the magazine safety. I don't carry it CCW (at least not yet) so a click-no bang wouldn't be anything but aggravating.

I guess the moral of this story is, I have purchased a lot of Rugers in the last 2 years to try to find what I like the best. Strangely enough, my 2 favorites are among the first I bought. That would be the KP345 and KP95D. I also am extremely pleased with my KP944D. These 3 are going to be my keepers and the others - KP90D, KP97D, KP93D, KP94 9mm (NIB) and P93D are going to become trading stock or for sale.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I bought two KP97DC's new. Single action trigger pull is ok on both, but the double action pull on one is a lot harder than the other. Since the easier pull is my CCW I haven't tried to do anything with the other. It stays in the Safe and when I shoot it I fire the first single action. Sometime I might have a gunsmith dress up the other to smooth out the DA pull.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be Sheepdog!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thank's for making my mind up, rman!:) I hope the gun dealer has one in stock. I'm going to go see him tomorrow afternoon.:D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Tom, I'm going to blame this on you for starting this thread. :) I love my KP97DC's, but I have shot my Wifes KP345, and the only thing I don't like about it is the safety and Mag. disconnect. I have ordered me a Decocker and if the Mag. disconnect wasn't there, it would function like my 97's. This Ruger addiction is getting the best of me. :D

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

Tom, I'm going to blame this on you for starting this thread. :) I love my KP97DC's, but I have shot my Wifes KP345, and the only thing I don't like about it is the safety and Mag. disconnect. I have ordered me a Decocker and if the Mag. disconnect wasn't there, it would function like my 97's. This Ruger addiction is getting the best of me. :D
I'm sorry - I think! :D I like my KP97D, but it has a really bad trigger. I need to quit putting it off and call Ruger for a fix. It's not just a typical Ruger P Series trigger. This one feels like it has a bucket of gravel in it. Even with hearing protection on, I can hear the scratching when I pull the trigger in single action. Just before it fires there is a loud click and the hammer moves before it drops. I really love my KP345 - just wish it was also a decocker. There is no cure for the Ruger addiction, by the way. Just buy a new one once in a while and shoot them frequently.:D

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
quote:Originally posted by TnTut

I've never shot a P345 but I own an older P95 and it is my favorite handgun.
Nice aren't they? I sure like mine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a KP97 D and I love it. It has a superb single action pull. It really surprised me as the pull is lighter and cleaner than some of my expensive 1911's. I also have one of the newly re-designed KP95's with the matte frame finish and accessory rail. It is a really nice pistol and I am quite pleased with it also. I was afraid they would either discontinue it ( as they did with the 97) or modify it with an internal lock, disconnect, chamber indiccator, or all of the above litigation mods. So, I went ahead and added it to the collection. So far, the changes to the current P95's were possitive IMHO. The only other thing I might change about the P95 is to make the frame the same width as the slide (like on the superbly designed P97) Does anyone really know why they dropped such a wonderful gun? I like the P345 but I don't like those aforementioned features, i.e key lock, disconnect, indicator.

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I actually did it! I am now officially down to my 3 favorite Ruger P-Series - KP345PR, KP95DPR and KP944D. I sold the KP90D, KP97D, KP94- 9mm, KP93D and P93D. I also sold the Kel-Tec PF9. I picked up a used Springfield Armory 1911 Compact just so my gun safe didn't look so empty. Heavy little thing but it sure shoots good and hides nicely under a polo shirt. It has a Wilson hammer, sear and trigger. The trigger pull is veeeerrrry nice.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I keep hearing about the bad or gritty triggers on some P97s but guess I was lucky. Although the double action pull on mine does stack just a bit at the end sorta like Colt revolvers it's not bad at all. The single action pull has a very small amout of creep after you take up the slack but is about as light as I would want is a self defence gun. Some people don't like the slack before the trigger engages but I don't even notice that anymore although it did bother me at first in my older P85. I only own the two P series pistols but with each one the triggers have gotten better with use.
Baker

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was looking at two S&W 4506's today one a square trigger gaurd the other round.They sure seem heavy to carry compared to my P-345,but they are nice.Anyone here have a Smith .45 ?[8D]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
years back i traded into a s&w 457. Thought it perfect as had decent accuracy, bobbed hammer, thin, and lightweight--about ideal for ccw. But the lack of an ambi safety (i suffer the left hand curse),the presence of a mag disconnect, and especially more than anything else the smith and wesson sell-out to clinton around that time resulted in my trading it off.
My attitude towards s&w has since calmed considerably and if i came across another used 457 today i would probably jump on it at the right price and see if smith could install an ambi safety on it or make it dbl action only (funds permitted). That weapon has potential but it is smith's ugly duckling.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Carried one for about 3 years...great gun, great balance...how much they asking? I missed one last fall at $650 with 2 clips real clean...sure wish I'd gotten it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts