Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back last fall I posted a picture of my KP90DC, and said I was going to get a set of Stag Grips for it. After I contacted numerous gripmakers I only found one that would attempt to make a set. I looked all over for Stag Scales and finally found a broker in New York that had some big enough for the Grips and had them shipped direct to the Gripmaker. The Gripmaker indicated he would have them made by Christmas, and after I started pushing after the first of the year he completely backed out on making them. I had him send the Scales to me and started looking again. The Scales are beautiful. I have found another Gripmaker that is going to try to make a set. I shipped everything to Him today, and We'll see what happens. I have found out one thing. Stag Grips for a KP90DC is hard to come by. I'll post a new picture of it when I get them. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Looking forward to seeing them. Definately will be worth it to go with that beautiful engraving!

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
That looks like a pistol that would be presented to the President or someone famous. Almost too pretty to shoot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
GENUINE stag grips on a P90 is something I've never seen ....am looking foward to seeing them........fabbing them is difficult due to the little grip tabs that fit into the P 90 frame....( BE CAREFUL..... THOSE TABS MIGHT FRACTURE EASILY)......1911 grips are so easy to make....just a shaped slab w/ 2 holes.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John, Orval Mahan, my neighbor here in Panama engraved it. Here it is dressed in the Stag Grips. I really like the feel of them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am not going to show these pictures to my P90T; it thinks it is the most beautiful weapon to ever come out of a Ruger factory and I do not want to rain on it's parade.

I love post this picture of my beloved P90, but I have little in the way of photographic skills, so keep that in mind.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the looks of your P90. What I like most about all the P90's, is whats inside them and the way they function. A good description is accurate, reliable,and built like a Tank. :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Nice grips Calvin!
I found a used P90 the other day. I'll pick it up Sunday morning. It's not a DC, but I can live with that. :)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Kansas. Glad you found one to get. I prefer carrying the 90 over the 97 and didn't think I would. The 90 is larger and heavier, but it carries better for me. Congratulations on your find. I'm sure you will like it. :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Got it Calvin! Picked up the P90 this afternoon. I'm the 3rd owner. The guy I got it from told me he bought it with 300 rounds through it & put 300 more through it himself. I asked him why he was selling the pistol & he told me he doesn't shoot much anymore. He shot with his father & his father died a wile back & he kinda' lost interest in going to the range since then. He does have a P95 that he is keeping, just incase he fels the need to throw some lead downrange.
I am very pleased with this pistol. It's blue, about 2yrs old & looks almost brand new. It came with the box & all the papers, 3 mags, a Galco holster & a set of Hogue grips, along with the stock Ruger grips. I'll take it with me to the indoor range tomorrow night for a little test drive. :D

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Very nice Calvin. Be sure to send in a photo to that Ruger Customer Gallery site.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That's an interesting look. The grips match the pistol well. Ever thought about silver anodizing the frame?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hadn't thought about it, but it is something to think about.
I thought about it from time to time over the years. I'm not sure aluminum can be reanodized.....especially the super heavy duty, thick anodize Ruger puts on the Ps. If somehow the OEM anodizing could be removed.....without any damage or impact on tolerances....you could have the frame polished and engraved. The OEM anodizing could be polished off.......but excessive rounding out of holes, alteration of contours, and removal of frame metal itself would be a problem.(ie: the oblong frame hole for the magazine release) You'd be amazed what a gang of 18 inch sisal wheels....loaded with agressive cut compound...... can do to metal ......oh yeah.....don't slip......or your fingers are gonna get polished! 18 inch wheels at 3650 RPM are a sight to behold! IMO ...Ruger should have anodized the Ps BLACK.....black would go perfectly with the silvery stainless of the slide and furniture. Thinking about frame polishing I wondered if there might be some high tech blasting or electro-chemical process that would remove only the OEM anodize itself.........leaving the frame metal perfect....after all......it IS the 21st century.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts