Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Ruger's Service Dept yesterday and asked them about returning this gun. This one has a trigger problem and I'm not sure it's even safe to shoot. At any rate, it's nearly unshootable because of all the creep, rough spots, popping noise, etc. I've heard people talk about Ruger sending them a prepaid shipper, but I wasn't able to wangle one out of them. They did say that they would refund any reasonable shipping cost when they returned the gun. Seemed to be nice folks. I'll have to figure out something to ship it in and get it on its way soon.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I think that Rugers service combined with quality of their guns is why they do so well in the gun market. Hope yours come back like new. I have one with a rough double action that I need to call about and send in. Funny but I have 2 97's and you couldn't ask for any better trigger on one, but the other is rough on double action.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try to slip down to UPS over lunch today and get it shipped off to Ruger. Mine's just the opposite Calvin...single action is terrible and double action is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sent it back to Ruger on 3/19 and got a letter from them yesterday acknowledging receipt. Hope to see it back in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent my KP97 back to Ruger on March 19th because it had an absolutely horrible single action trigger pull and got worse every time I shot it. I got it back today - 5 weeks and 2 days. I thought that was a pretty good turn around! The packing slip said they replaced the blocker lever, hammer assembly and sear and repaired the trigger bar. I dry fired it a few times and it is greatly improved! Unfortunately, it is still the worst P-Series trigger out of the 8 that I have, but I can live with it. It still has a LOT of creep and is pretty rough. I think it is time to do a bit of polishing.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I think we need an IBOK on the P series... *hint* *hint*

*BIG GRIN*

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

I think we need an IBOK on the P series... *hint* *hint*

*BIG GRIN*
AMEN!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,476 Posts
Keith, I've started on a P-gun IBOK but it won't be ready any time soon. I just sold my house in Iowa and will be using the procedes to remodel my house in Nebraska. That means the 4-letter W word for a couple months. Maybe Rick can pick up the slack here and put something out.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

Keith, I've started on a P-gun IBOK but it won't be ready any time soon. I just sold my house in Iowa and will be using the procedes to remodel my house in Nebraska. That means the 4-letter W word for a couple months. Maybe Rick can pick up the slack here and put something out.
OH! BOY!:) That ought to be a best seller![^] Hurry up. Both of you![8D]

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Well, I am pretty swamped here. But I have been considering taking on the P-Series RBOK, now that I have a P345PR. Maybe I will just take on the polymers and leave the rest for Iowegan... hehehe :D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I'm not mistaken, we have another gunsmith on this board. How about it Bowhunter?

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I just bought a KP98DC today, and my pistol has a lot of popping & clicking when pulling the trigger in single action mode. I started looking into the cause of this and found what my problem was. My popping and clicking was in single action, the trigger bar would hang on the slide. When you started to pull the trigger, the pressure cause it to pop up where its supposed to be.

Here we see the trigger bar hung on the slide:

After a little trigger pressure the trigger bar pops up:

I took a jewelers file and SLIGHTLY filed the slide corner here:

I then cleaned and polished where the trigger bar and frame meet:

I don't have any clicking and popping now!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's great Keith, thanks. I have a P89 that does the exact same thing. I figured it'd probably go away over time after it wears in but maybe I'll try and dress those surfaces a little bit.

My KP944 does not do this but I just mentally chalked it up to the different trigger bar springs used.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my experience, the trigger bar is usually the culprit when a gritty, bumpy or hard trigger pull exists. Proper tuning of the trigger bar will result in a very nice feeling trigger. One word of caution; study the action of the trigger bar closely before you attempt to dress it or the slide. If possible compare it to a smoothly operating pistol. If you do attempt some dressing take off only 10% of what you think it needs then reassemble and try it. Obviously, once you take it off it can't be put back. A little goes a long way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts